Car rental at/near PHX airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Arizona's Phoenix airport this summer and will use a rental car. If I should use an off-site rental, how much time does this add to the transaction? How difficult transporting luggage? How much would I save? Any ideas?
Many thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 05:17 PM

I rented from the Dollar rent a car center at the airport. They have a shuttle bus(free) that takes you to the car lot. I had joined their 'fastlane' membership so I had no waiting in line for anything. www.dollar.com As far as saving money renting elsewhere I don't know, as the convience is worth extra if it actually costs more. I compared years ago and the price was cheaper to rent at the airport if you factored in the taxi cab fare. enjoy your trip, ziggypop
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 06:22 PM

From a previous post of mine:

1.Don't rent at the airport (PHX)!. Choose an off site car rental agency. Enterprise can be very cheap, away from the airport.

2. Search online for an Enterprise coupon code (e.g. "ESNR9EP"). This is not necessarily the best or cheapest one for you. Do a thorough search and see what else you can find.

3. If you are arriving by air, consider staying the first night at a motel near the airport with a free shuttle.

4. Take the (free) shuttle to the hotel/motel, spend the night there and have Enterprise pick you up there the next morning. They will do this for you free of charge. Of course, your reservation must be with a branch location that is closest to your hotel/motel. This is the Enterprise location we used:
1131 W BROADWAY RD
TEMPE, AZ 85282-1225
Tel.: (480) 829-3970

5. Alternatively, if you don't want to spend the night in a hotel/motel, then take a taxi to the off-site Enterprise branch.

6. At the conclusion of your rental period, repeat the same process without the additional one night's hotel/motel stay. Better yet, you may be able to persuade your Enterprise driver to drop you off at the airport itself. We did! (While off-site car rental branches can't pick up at the airport, they can and do drop off if asked discretely.)

Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the rates at Hertz on Indian Spring Road. Check the hours of operation as off-site rental desks aren't open 24/7 like at the airport. You'd have to take a cab to Hertz with all your luggage. Usually you can book to RETURN the car at the airport location at no extra charge, so the cab fare will only be on arrival day.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't know where you are coming from but Allegiant Airlines flies to the Phoenix-Mesa airport (SE of Mesa) they make a package deal (flight + car) (flight + car + hotel) The rental car company they have there is Alamo. http://www.allegiantair.com/
They even have tours to the Grand Canyon if you are interested.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. Now I will do my research using them.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM

Unless you will only be renting a car for a few days, I agree NOT to rent a car at the airport. The city and the county add on more taxes than any other place I've seen in the US (including a Grapefruit and Cactus baseball league tax).

I spent 12 days in Arizona last summer and rented a car from Enterprise on South 7th Street. I was ready to book a very low rate at that location online using the Entertainment Book web site, but I wanted to call the location to see if I could drop the car at the airport instead of the 7th street location. The agent actually quoted me a rate $100 less than the already low rate I saw on the Entertainment Book web site, although there was a $35 drop fee to return the car to the airport, which I didn't mind paying. It's a 10 minute cab ride from PHX to the Enterprise location, which cost $20 with tip (all cabs leaving the airport have a minimum fare even for very short distances). So I spent $55 in extra fees, but I saved hundreds of dollars compared to the best airport quote I got.

To show you how expensive the airport quotes were ... it cost me less to rent a car for 12 days in Switzerland, the year before, than it would have cost to rent a car in PHX (and the Swiss car was a Passat with automatic transmission).

You can check out the Entertainment Book rates yourself as a benchmark, even if you are not a member: www.entertainment.com/ent11.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM

Unless you will only be renting a car for a few days, I agree NOT to rent a car at the airport. The city and the county add on more taxes than any other place I've seen in the US (including a Grapefruit and Cactus baseball league tax).

I spent 12 days in Arizona last summer and rented a car from Enterprise on South 7th Street. I was ready to book a very low rate at that location online using the Entertainment Book web site, but I wanted to call the location to see if I could drop the car at the airport instead of the 7th street location. The agent actually quoted me a rate $100 less than the already low rate I saw on the Entertainment Book web site, although there was a $35 drop fee to return the car to the airport, which I didn't mind paying. It's a 10 minute cab ride from PHX to the Enterprise location, which cost $20 with tip (all cabs leaving the airport have a minimum fare even for very short distances). So I spent $55 in extra fees, but I saved hundreds of dollars compared to the best airport quote I got.

To show you how expensive the airport quotes were ... it cost me less to rent a car for 12 days in Switzerland, the year before, than it would have cost to rent a car in PHX (and the Swiss car was a Passat with automatic transmission).

You can check out the Entertainment Book rates yourself as a benchmark, even if you are not a member: www.entertainment.com/ent11.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Search online for an Enterprise coupon code

Thanks for reminding me. I did and found a connection that saved me $71 over the AARP 16-day rate for an intermediate sized car ($640 vs. $711): http://www.online-couponcodes.com/enterprise-coupons

HTTY
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 03:51 PM

As far as saving money renting elsewhere I don't know, as the convience is worth extra if it actually costs more.

This is my experience, also. In my case, it would cost $95 less to rent the car at a downtown location. However, upon arrival I will drive directly to Tucson and I want the convenience of driving to the airport for our plane home.

HTTY