Rental Car Pick up at CHS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flight from Chicago arrives in Charleston at approximately 1:00 am, hence we've decided to stay at an inexpensive motel near the airport and officially start our anniversary trip the next morning. Car rental desks at CHS seem to all close at midnight. Will we have any trouble returning to CHS the next morning and getting to the rental counter to get our car? I'm guessing that we can get this done, but just wanted to ensure that it's not tucked away in some corner only available to arriving passengers. I've tried calling Alamo to ask them, but can't get anyone to answer the phone.

As an aside, I've been able to find comparable rates at locations away from the airport, but when you factor in the Uber/Lyft ride to eventually get back CHS after drop off, not sure this makes sense.

Much thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 05:17 AM

I don't know where this particular counter is at the Charleston airport, but car-rental counters are NEVER in the secure area of an airport, and it's not at all uncommon for people go to pick up cars the morning after a very late arrival. However, you need to determine if the agency is on or off the airport grounds. It's a very small airport, so I can't imagine you'll have issues. Just go to the Alamo web site and find out where the agency counter is.
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 05:50 AM

All the car "on airport" rental companies (including Alamo) at CHS are located the Rental Car Pavilion at the end of the terminal right near the baggage claim area (go here for more details: https://www.iflychs.com/Ground-Trans...on/Rental-Cars - You'll find a map of the terminal here: https://www.iflychs.com/Travel-Infor...s/Terminal-Map). Simply go there the following morning to complete your paperwork nd pick up your car - all very easy.
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 06:52 AM

You may be able to return the car TO the airport without a fee even having rented in town. I'd check on that and keep from having to move from an airport motel.