Standard or Double Room for Two

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it necessary to pay for a double room for a husband and wife in a hotel, hostel or pensionne in Italy. We want to save any extra money we can and in checking some websites, I can't tell if they think that two persons mean a double room. Any help on this question would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:09 PM
ira

Hi Pheasant,

A double room means a room for two persons. Two persons means a double room.

The only time you pay for a single is if the lady has a prior fee-splitting arrangement with the hotel.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:33 PM

IRA...you are EVIL!!!and you have me cracking up here!!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I deserved that, I guess. It just seems like some of the verbage used can be confusing. We are a couple so a double it is! I am having a hard time finding some inexpensive places in Venice. Any suggestions for that beautiful city?
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:03 AM

Another thread mentioned looking up Venice hotels at the statravel.com site. Also look at Eurocheapo.com. You might want to consider Priceline.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:06 AM

It can be confusing...and sometimes they call it a "twin" room, which means to single beds in a room, when you are a couple and would likely prefer 1 double bed. even if it sayd "double" and not "twin", it can be very difficult to find a "real" double bed sometimes--even at very expensive hotels. I think your best bet may be to call the hotel to find out the bedding arrangement, ar at least take a look at photos on the website, if that is important to you. We got over it a long time ago.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 12:54 PM
ira

Hi pheasant,

Try a text search for "Venice AND Hotels". There have been some recent threads.

Here are a couple of suggestions at 100E or less:

http://alcampaniel.tripod.com/venezia/

http://www.hotelbernardi.com/en/hotel.html

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 01:32 PM

In every case but once when I traveled to Europe, a double room meant a room with a double bed (might be queen size, rarely if ever king size). And the standard double bed, as you well know, is not very roomy. Maybe it's because I'm well over 6 feet tall, but I always look for (and ask for) a double room that has 2 beds--usually two twins, and usually they are placed side by side to make what looks like a king-size bed. And you'll get a lot more room in those 2 beds shoved together than you will in a standard double.

I know there are lower-priced hotels, but every once in a while Hotel Campiello has some good deals, and I like the little hotel. You might try them. Their location is good, just off the lagoon, and the management is good. Try www.hcampiello.com. Good luck.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 01:49 PM
JonJon

I still want to know how Ira found out so much about the "fee splitting" activity...hmmm.
I would definitely consider e-mailing any hotel (provided you have the e-mail address) and asking, specifically, about the bed sizes..there is always that additional "European" quirk..the so-called "French double" but we won't even go THERE!

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

JonJon - A French double, huh. Sounds interesting. Thanks for helping the naive navigate!