St. Wolfgang or St. Gilgen

May 3rd, 2007, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

St. Wolfgang or St. Gilgen

My husband and I have booked a pension in St. Wolfgang (10 min. walk to the center of town). We wanted to use it as a base to travel to Salzburg (just for one day, perhaps a trip to Koenigsee) and Bad Ischl. Of course, we also want to enjoy the Wolfgangsee, since our Pension is right on the lake. After those 4 days we are staying 5 nights in Munich and then back to the US. I have second thoughts about staying in St. Wolfgang. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get to Salzburg. We don't have a car and would have to take busses and the ferry. It is beautiful, so I heard and nice to wake up looking at the beautiful scenery. Would St. Gilgen be a better base. We could do the Koenigsee from Munich. Any suggestions.

Thank you
May 3rd, 2007, 07:03 AM

Not necessarily - there are buses frequently from St Wolfgang to Strobl and Strobl that take 15 mins and then Strobl to Salzburg take 72 mins. You can take the ferry but don't have to.

St Gilgen to Salzburg buses go via Strobl and take 18 minutes to Strobl so would actually be three minutes longer total than from St Wolfsgang.
May 3rd, 2007, 09:34 AM

I believe the above poster does not give you good informatin. St. Gilgen - Salzburg much less time than St. Wolfgang - Salzburg

St. Gilgen to Salzburg via bus takes about 45- 48 minutes. No change of bus.

St. Gilgen is at the west end of the Wolfgangsee ( closest to Salzburg ) no need to go to Strbl for a bus.
St. Gilgen much more convenient for excurions. Nice places to stay, and to me a nicer town on the See.
St. Wolfgang is 1 hour 35- 1 hour 45 minutes by bus or boat- bus combination to Salzburg

for schedule

www.oebb.at
May 3rd, 2007, 09:50 AM

Yup i werre wrong - looking at Cook's timetable 962 and read wrong way.

For example lv Wolfgang :48 mins after the hour, ar Salzburg 84 mins later - so is much longer.

sorry and thanks molker for correcting my mistake.