St Gilgen or Hallstatt?

Aug 12th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Bob

St Gilgen or Hallstatt?

Hello,

I'm torn between the two towns to stay for 2-3 night the first week of Sept.

We like to hike and it seems from the posts that St Gilgen would be a more convenient launching point.

We also plan to day trip to Salzburg....

But Hallstatt sounds so great...

Where should I stay?

Aug 12th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Mike

We loved Halstatt. It was great for a day trip. We stayed closer to Salzburg at this place http://www.vacationvillas.net/index....ntal/22001.cfm and took day trips to Hallstatt & St Gilgen, and Salzburg.

Aug 12th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Ron

You might as well stay in the middle of your 3 destinations...St. Gilgen. St. Wolfgang & Hof bei Salzburg are also good choices.

Aug 13th, 2002, 03:56 AM
ttt

ttt

Aug 13th, 2002, 05:51 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Stay in St. Gilgen--easy access to both Salzburg and Hallstatt. Of course, day trip to Hallstatt from there--it is about an hour driving. More to see and do at the Wolfgangsee.

Aug 13th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Bob

Thanks guys.

Any hotel recommendations? I don't mind spending on this trip.

Aug 13th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Mike

We stayed at this place. It is near everything -- 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment, and he'll even set up a BBQ for you. 1 KM down the street was a small store to buy juice, fresh bread, etc. and a great bakery in the little village. The young couple who run the place speak excellent English and were very helpful.

http://www.vacationvillas.net/index....ntal/22001.cfm

Aug 13th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Wayne

I know St. Gilgen is nice; I've been there. You should be sure to visit all 4 major Salzkammergut lakes: Mondsee, Attersee, Wolfgangsee, and Traunsee, in addition to the Halstattersee. For my money, I would prefer staying in Traunkirchen, on the Traunsee, instead of St. Gilgen. The Romantic Hotel Post faces the lake and has an excellent restaurant, and the area is spectacular---moreso in my opinion than the area around St. Gilgen. But you wouldn't go wrong in any of these places. This area is my favorite part of Austria.

Aug 13th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Jan

Mike,
Thanks for the vacation villas recommendation. It sounds perfect for us--a family of four who prefers apartments to hotels! I have bookmarked it.
cheers,
Jan

Aug 13th, 2002, 09:10 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Bob. Do a google search to find the local web site for St. Gilgen. The Hotel Billroth is hard to beat, but look at the choices. And, try to hit the Gosausee when you go to Hallstatt. Spectacular scenery not far off the road--check your map.

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Bob

Should I be nervous visiting this area and Bavaria 1st week of Sept due to the floods?