Spain Itinerary Help

Search

Spain Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain Itinerary Help

Me and My Husband (both in early 30's) are traveling with a 2 year old in late Sep/early October 2016. We will have in total 13 days in Spain (not including flying times from US).

Background/Interests: We are looking for a relaxed pace this time, both number of hotel changes and things we can get done in a day. We really enjoy Architecture, Culture, Piazza Scene, Good food and local markets. We will like to keep down museum visits to two and castle/cathedral visits to 4-5 through the trip. If possible we will like to include a beach town for 2 days to unwind and just focus on food/relaxation. We have been to Europe before (without the baby) and cruised around 3 countries in 3 weeks. Our fav destination was Rome and some of the medieval tuscan towns.

We have not booked our tickets yet, so open to suggestions. Mostly thinking of an Open Jaw flying in/out of Madrid/Barcelona. This is what i have in mind.

Day 1-3 in Madrid, with a day trip to Toledo | 3 Nights
Day 4-7 in Seville, with a day trip to Cordoba | 4 Nights
Day 8-10 in Beach Town (Malaga, Cadiz, any other options) |3 Nights
Day 11-13 Barcelona | 3 Nights

Questions:
1. If we are doing Mezquita in Cordoba and Alcazar in Seville, is it okay to skip Alhambra in Granada?
2 Planning to take an Ave for most part of trip. Will fly between Malaga and Barcelona. Should we rent a car for Andulasia part of our trip (Seville & Malaga)?
3. Need recommendations for third part of the trip (Malaga/Cadiz). What beach town can we do instead, which is conveniently located 2-3 hours from Seville and is medium paced. We are mostly looking forward to beach time and great food scene.
4. Any nice coastal drives that are recommended?
5. We are targeting travel dates as Sep 17 - Oct 2rd or Sep 24 - Oct 9. Is the weather going to be still outrageously hot during end of sep?
6. If we are not planning to attend the Feria de San Miguel (bullfights) from sep 25-29th, should we try to avoid Seville during those days to escape crowds?
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 12:13 PM

I may be the only person that thinks if you see the Alcazar in Seville, you do not need to go to Granada for the Alhambra. The Alcazar is chock full of the same design elements as the Alhambra - the Alhambra does have more extensive gardens but if I remember correctly, there are gardens not far from the Mezquita in Cordoba.

We were in Marbella around Oct. 1 a number of years ago, the weather had turned pleasant....but who knows what you could encounter.

We rented a car in Seville and drove down to Marbella (stayed in a time share). It was our only trip to Europe that we did so - we like the trains - but it seemed a better way to explore that part of the world. Some of that coast is so Brit-i-sized - signs for bangers and mash everywhere! We liked the resort where we stayed near Marbella - that town seemed a little less of a Brit retirement community (but it was at least a decade ago).
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 01:13 PM

You should see the Alhambra. If you need to skip something, skip the Alcazar in Seville, but you should be able to see all three sites. No problem with Seville for that feria. The BIG feria is in April.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 01:26 PM

You need to cut one destination and limit the bouncing around. The toddler's needs will slow you down. You canNOT run around Spain with the hobbit as you would if you were just with your spouse. Even four stops is a bit much.

Try: Madrid 3 nights, Seville 4-5 nights, Barcelona for the rest. Don't go to Alhambra - it's too much of a slog for a day trip with the halfling. You're in your 30s. You can get back there.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 02:00 PM

There is a beach in Barcelona - or maybe you would want to stay a bit down that coast and venture into the city - you could cut out one shift that way.

Thank you BigRuss for saying they can save the Alhambra for another time - the Alcazar in Seville is a fine example of the same architectural style and saves you the slog to Granada.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 06:49 PM
kja

While it completely depends on what you want to see and experience, I personally would not consider this itinerary conducive to a relaxed pace – if anything, it seems rather breakneck to me. For comparison, I travel HARD and solo and wanted at least twice as much time -- or more -- in each place you mention. JMO.

It is OK for anyone to skip anything. That said, I found the Alhambra absolutely magical and count it, and Cordoba’s Mezquita, among the most beautiful buildings anywhere in the world. JMO. The Mezquita is nothing like either the Alhambra or Sevilla’s Alcazar, and I saw enough differences between the Alhambra and Sevilla’s Alcazar to consider them each worth visiting; YMMV. If you do decide to visit the Alhambra, plan on at least 2 nights in Granada. As others are noting, you would have to completely re-work your plan (which might be worth doing for various reasons) to fit it in. Your call.

Whether you will benefit from having a car depends on where you end up on the beach. If you do insist on including Barcelona in your plan, the suggestion to take advantage of it's beach is, IMO, worth considering.

For good drives – and excellent coverage of everything else – consult the <i>Michelin Green Guide</i>.

For average weather statistics, consult wunderground.com

Good luck!
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 07:11 AM

I find it hard to believe that folks still ask about the weather details. It is just about as impossible to foretell as the exchange rate for your money over the same period. One cannot generalise when it comes to weather. History weather websites are unable to suggest what is going to happen either.There is no weatherman in the world, with all modern scientific assistance, who will bet on his or the computer forecast for any greater than four days ahead.

There no roads in Spain that hug the coast like is say California Highway 1, Atlantic Ocean Road, Norway,or The Amalfi Coast. Most of Spain's population either lives or has second homes along the Eastern seaboard. This sort of trip can most of the time, be underwhelming.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 09:08 AM

No there is nothing like the Alhambra. It is not to be missed. Cadiz has better beaches than Malaga. Malaga has a more vibrant nightlife. I don't think of Spain as a beach destination unless you're talking about the North coast (San Sebastian) or the Balearics. The beach in Barcelona is not that nice. There aren't any scenic coastal drives in the places you're going. I would cut out Barcelona. I can't imagine all that traveling within a trip with a toddler.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 01:39 PM

I actually agree that the Alcazar in Seville can stand in for the Alhambra. Yes, the Alhambra has those dramatic vistas both on it and looking at it from other points in Granada, but as far as the actually architecture is concerned the Alcazar offers many of the same things. And we just got back from Spain where we saw them back to back on consecutive days so I feel I can make the comparison.

I also agree you could probably skip Barcelona with a toddler unless you're a big Gaudi fan (and the inside of the Sagrada Familia is really something!). But it is a big city and so there's a lot to navigate.

We absolutely loved San Sebastian which I notice isn't on your radar. It's very kid friendly, easy to eat great food on a toddler's time scale with the Pinxtos bars (in and out in as little as 15 minutes if you want) and such beautiful beaches. Of course it's far from Seville, we flew from one to the other on Vueling.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 01:53 PM

The Alhambra is one of the few tourists sights with a deserved reputation. One major difference is that the gardens in Sevilla do not compare to the Generalife.

Also to the OP.

Map the distances between your locations using US cities you know and you will get an idea how much traveling you are doing.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 02:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
IMD has said what I was going to - it is the gardens of the Generalife and their use of water that mark the Alhambra out as an outstanding site; the Alcazar is pleasant but the Alhambra is simply remarkable.

but unless your toddler has great staying power, it's probably somewhere that will wait until you and the babe are older. i would pick two places, rent an apartment in each, and have a nice relaxed time.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for pointers. Agree on the weather, no one can predict it. I was just trying to get the pulse. Right now it shows High 85/Low 70F.

My few take aways are may be i can skip a big city (perhaps Barcelona) all together. As I can see my self coming back to Barcelona on another trip, but cant visualize back tracking to Alhambra any time soon.

I understand all cities are unique and have different things to offer to different tastes. If i were to chose 1 now, should it be Madrid or Barcelona for 4 days?

Seville and Cordoba is non negotiable for us. Will spend 4-5 days there.

Hoping to spend, 2 days in Granada to pay Alhambra a visit.

Thanks for your responses.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 05:58 PM
kja

@ ribeirasacra: That some of us find average temperature information helpful does <b>not</b> mean that exact temperatures can be predicted based on that knowledge. Knowing that an average is, say, 30 degrees Celsius tells me something very different than knowing than an average is, say, 0 degrees Celsius. That information would let me plan to bring the appropriate layers for dealing with temperatures around the average, plan for outdoor activities, etc.

@ Hitashi: If you want a relaxed trip, add a day to Sevilla, add a day to Granada, and consider a beach visit to Cadiz or somewhere near there. Skip Barcelona AND Madrid! Just an option.
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 11:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if Seville and Cordoba are your priorities, and you are open to fitting in the Alhambra, then I would agree about dropping Madrid and possibly adding Malaga into your list. it's a lovely place with a real beach - ideal for ending your trip and a shortish drive through the mountains from Granada.
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 11:35 AM

Are you getting clarity or confusion from all this input? I'd pick Barcelona over Madrid any day! San Sebastian does have a nice beaches and easy, excellent pintos for toddler friendly dining, but also often rain!

I'm going to give one more poke for skipping Granada - I'd think it will be quicker to tour the Alcazar than the Alhambra - are you taking a stroller? I can't imagine going thru the Alhambra (getting there, wandering the gardens, and extended time inside with a toddler in arms, running loose, or pushing a stroller).

Are you from the US? I vote fly in Madrid, down to Seville by train - fast - and fly to Barcelona. Your toddler can enjoy the park in Madrid, a beach day or two in Barcelona and maybe one big sight a day. IMO more transit time for more stops will just be rough on everyone.
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 06:14 AM

How does this fit in those weather averages? How didi it influence the averages given now?
http://noticias.eltiempo.es/2015/10/...-este-octubre/
First week of October:
Average temp for Spain is @15 Centigrade.
October 2014 was warmer than 2015.
More rain than average along the Mediterranean coast.
Part of North East Spain has lower temps than Average.
Then this weather forecast for the final weekend of September of last year.
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/e...ranea/3303245/
Dress for every occasion and not the average should be advice given.
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 07:10 PM
kja

@ ribeirasacra: Let me give you an example: Have you ever been to Chicago? Like many, many parts of the U.S., it experiences major temperature variations over the course of the year. In July, the average high temperature is about 29 degrees Celcius (average low in July: about 17 degrees Celcius). In January, the average high temperature is about -1 degree Celcius (average low in January: about –11 degrees Celsius). I would never tell a visitor to Chicago to "dress for every occasion" – that would be absurd! There is no reason why some visiting Chicago in July should bring a winter coat, hat, scarf, gloves, balaclava, boots, and thermal underwear -- things they would need in winter. And there is no reason why someone visiting Chicago in January should pack a suitcase full of shorts and beachwear, as they might want to do for July. I would tell them to consult a reliable source for information about average temperatures (and precipitation) for the time they expect to visit and plan accordingly, which means planning for a range of temperatures around the average. I assume that most people can figure that out. JMO.

@ Hitashi: Sorry for the off-target exchange!
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 11:21 PM

Normally warm and fine weather in Andalucía in late September/early October, definitely still beach time, but the summer heat is normally gone.

<sep 25-29th, should we try to avoid Seville during those days to escape crowds?>

The world's largest flamenco festival goes on in Sevilla from Sept 8 to Oct 2. Fabulous time to be here, and also lots of free outdoor concerts in parks and plazas all around town almost all days. Here is the "Flamenco is everywhere" programme: http://www.labienal.com/en/la-bienal...alquier-parte/

And here is the programme, 78 concerts in eight theaters and the finest flamenco artists in the world. We always come back to Sevilla for this event, and the countdown has started. Been in Sevilla many times outside the flamenco festival, and never thought it was any more crowded than normal during the festival: http://www.labienal.com/en/programa/

Second the idea of Málaga city for beachtime and great food scene, two hours drive form Sevilla. Málaga is now one of three Spanish cities on New York Times "Places to go" list for 2016. The two other are Barcelona and San Sebastián, a brilliant selection of three fantastic and very different cities: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...isit.html?_r=0

Málaga beaches are excellent, but not the foreign tourist crowds: http://www.spain-holiday.com/Malaga-...ty-beach-guide

Málaga food scene, the new gastro market, next door to Picasso's birth house: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...odie-traveller
The fabulous and old Atarazanas food market, my favourite market in a country full of world class food markets: https://eastofmalaga.net/2014/07/25/...ry-perception/
Excellent tapas bar tips, many of my favourite places in town: http://www.spain-holiday.com/Malaga-...bars-in-malaga
Old Aug 28th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Great ideas everyone. I think i am bending towards skipping Madrid and doing Seville/Cordoba (5 Nights), Malaga (3 Nights) and Barcelona (3 Nights). Will make a call on Granada depending on how we feel.