Search

Need help with itinerary for Seville, Granada, Majorca

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with itinerary for Seville, Granada, Majorca

Tripgirl here.

Now that my annual group trip to Europe has been put to bed( if interested click on my name. It's for Sorrento, Amalfi Coast and
Capri, that I am just back from )and my trip just with DH and I for the summer to Slovenia/Croatia is all planned, I am now focusing on the 2007 group trip!

I know I am early, but those who know me here, know this is how I do things!

For May 2007( thinking the 2nd week of May), I am thinking about taking the group to Western and Eastern Andulusia with possibly Majorca.

For those of you who do not know the nature of these annual trips( some of you know my trips from other trip reports), let me fill you in, so if you have something to contribute, you'll know what direction to go into:

1. These trips are a max of 9 nights, with more of them being 6-7 nights. All of us take other extensive trips throughout the year, so this one is just a "quickie". Please do not suggest we stay any longer, as this is how we do it.

2. My group enjoys historical outings, great shopping, excellent dining and drinking, superior accomodations and unique events.

3. I took the group in 2004 to Barcelona and Madrid, so I am thinking Southern Spain this time would be fun.

I will of course do my own research and would not ever ask any of you good folks to do my planning and research for me. As many of you know, for these group trips, I do use an agent because of the group
logistics involved, usually better pricing, contacts and for back up emergencies for a group. But also many of you know too, that I go in fully armed with a ton of research already completed to present to my agent, so I am always in drivers seat.

But my questions to all of you here, since I ALWAYS start with Fodors first for research, involves some preliminary questions about itinerary, activites, etc. Once I get a handle on this, I'll be back with more questions.

The other possible trip idea, just to let you know, is South America, of which I have no experience in. We were thinking Argentina ( Buenos Aires) and Uruguay with a possible option to Brazil ( Rio). But I'll post on the LA forum; however do chime in if you think you can contribute some thoughts about these SA destinations.

Anyway, back to Spain:

I am thinking something of the following:

1. 3 nights in Granada, 4 nights Seville
we'll skip Majorca in favor of a smaller trip

2. 3 nights Majorca to start, then 3 nights Granada and then 3 nights Seville

3. Any combination of those ; rearranged according to your opinions of the number of nights we need for just a taste of each place.

Also, please share your favorite must sees along with any unique events you know of.

For accomodations, I have already looked at a few. For Majorca, I am intrigued by La Residencia in Deia, or is Palma a better location for us? I can't have each place be over the top as I need to come to some sort of budget, but as many of you know I am a luxury traveler ( within some reason).

But we do enjoy unique properties, that do not need to be expensive, as long as they are not 2 star and below. Historic inns with great charm are perfectly fine. Small or large properties ( but not monolith)are fine.

We do not rent villas, as we do like to have our space and not be on top of each other in a house environment as well as we like the services of a hotel or inn.

I am thinking for Granada and Seville that we should be centrally located in the city within walking distance of shops, restaurants, etc. Any recommendations are welcome , so I can begin my research.

Thanks a mil... you guys are always the very best!!!!!

I look forward to your responses!!!!!!!!
( of which I'll need soon as I need to present the 2007 trip ideas at our follow up brunch meeting next month)
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear tripgirl, I'm intrigued about why you are going to Majorca and Andalucia in the same trip? Each could easily fill 2 weeks al by itself and having been to both, I'd pick Andalucia every time. Not that Majorca isn't nice, but it wouldn't be my top choice.
With only one week, Seville and Granada will be fine. Less is more!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:48 AM

Am I correct in assuming the MAIN reason you are going to Granada is to visit the Alhambra or are there other activities (besides shopping and eating)?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:55 AM

I would skip Majorca, really. It's beautiful but I can't see any connection with the rest of the trip. I would leave it for another trip to Balearic Islands, with visits to Menorca and Formentera (which, in my opinion, are much better than Majorca).

To your idea of Seville and Granada, I would add a day trip (or an overnight) in Cordoba. It's between the two (nearer from Seville) and it's worth the visit.
I cannot tell very much about accomodations because I only know luxury ones of hearing I do know Seville's Alfonso XIII is one of the best hotels in Spain and it's quite central also.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Intrepid:

Yes, Alhambra would be the main attaction. However, if you believe another place in Eastern Andulsia is better and we should just day trip it to alhambra, please chime in. Like I said I am just so at the beginning of research.

Sounds like the consensus so far is to leave the islands alone. I've done other trips with a mainland and island, so just curious why you may think it does not make sense. But you guys are the experts here, as I have not done my research yet, so just can you explain a bit further?

When we do these trips, of course we can spend weeks and weeks in any destination we choose. Believe me, these group trips are really fabulous even though they are short. It's just what we've done forever.

So many thanks for your input, more please....!!!!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:07 AM

I hope you can keep this thread going and here is why:

We visited Granada last Summer but did so mainly to tour the Alhambra. Because we figured that was the "main" attraction we were able to book space at the Parador for two nights...did that 9 months out as it apparently is the m,ost popular parador in the entire country.

I had this silly notion that Granada was some small town..not so...it is quite large and, more importantly, there are folks who have been there who feel that The Alhambra is not the ONLY thing to be seen/experienced.

As to doing the place as a daytrip...I suppose it is possible but from where?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:18 AM

Well, it doesn't make sense to me probably because I live at the coast in front of the balearic islands (Castellon) and a visit Majorca-Valencia or Majorca-Catalunya does a lot more sense to me than a trip that takes more than an hour on a plane...it's like visiting Majorca and Milan in Italy, the same time on the plane For a week trip I prefer not to change so much of "setting", maybe it's a personal thing ! I know you americans are much more used to change planes and deal with airports than we spaniards are !!
Besides, Andalucia has a lot to offer, more than you can see on a month there ..and also the Islands.
I love Granada, and not only for the Alhambra, which is an absolute "must see".
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Intrepid,

Many thanks for your valuable insight, see I knew I could count on you! I'm glad to know Alhambra is not the only attraction, I figured there was more, but like I said, very little research yet on my part. So good to know that Granada can indeed be a destination.
Tell more more about your time in Granada if you wish to share.

kenderina
Yes, we Americans do fly, fly, fly! But I can see what you are saying. I just thought a little island flavor coupled with city life would be nice as we have done this combo numerous times before.

But Majorca would be last priority, top priority would be Granada and Seville first.

yes, Cordoba as a day trip will also be included. I just wanted to get the lodging ideas first.

More please.... thanks!!!!!!!!!

Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:00 AM

I would highly recommend the Parador Gilbrafo (sp) in Malaga as a stopping point between Granada and Seville, we only spent one night, could easily have spent 2 or 3. Malaga is less touristy than Majorca, yet has the beaches, museums and shopping. In Granada the Parador would be a great destination, to me, 2 nights is enough and add more to Seville which we loved. We also stopped in Rhonda and Arcos (spent the night in Arcos) on the way to Seville. May is a perfect time to go!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:21 AM

To me, staying at the parador at the Alhambra was ideal...for seeing the Alhambra and that is ALL we saw in Granada because we flew out to Barcelona the next morning.

Therefore, unfortunately, I am not the person to tell you about all the other things to see in that city but I am sure there is SOMEBODY here who will fill you in.

If you are doing more than JUST seeing the Alhambra then I think staying at a more centrally-located hotel would make sense..and I am certain it wouldn't be nearly as hard to get into (as the parador) either!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:31 AM

I like very much this site about Granada, it is in English :
http://www.granadainfo.com/english.htm

When I visited, besides of the Alhambra, I visited the Royal Chapel (where the Catholics Kings are buried), the Cathedral, the Arab Baths and the Albaizin , which is the hill in front of the Alhambra and has stunning views and it's also good if you like to see flamenco shows.