seville to granada or granada to seville

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seville to granada or granada to seville

posted this previously and it did not make to the spain forum? here goes again. to make a long story short, will have about 4 days in seville and then 8 days to explore andalucia including granada, white hill towns and coast. we will be flying from barcelona,renting a car and then returning to madrid to fly home. shall we fly to seville and make a loop back to seville to take the train to madrid or should we fly to granada and zig zag back to seville. any thoughts? also thinking about buying a 5 night parador card. what are your favorite paradors in andalucia. how about toledo or segovia (we will have 4 nights in madrid). the alhambra is not available on the 5 night card. thanks in advance and i hope this makes it to the spain forum!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:41 PM
mjs

I would fly from Barcelona to Granada, rent a car to travel around Andalucia, than drop the car off in Seville. I would than spend a few days in Seville, than take the AVE train to Madrid. Day trips from Madrid to Segovia and Toledo.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 12:20 AM

If you are thinking of staying at the parador in Granada (at the Alhambra)I think you'll find it is definitely worthwhile. But, it is the most popular one in Spain and sometimes you have to reserve it months in advance.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 02:27 AM

"also thinking about buying a 5 night parador card"

Look at the fine print on the parador card. There are so many restrictions that it is virtually useless. The whole point of it is to get people to go to paradors that are out of the way or not very desirable.

Also, forget he white towns that are an utter waste of time. Also, Mardrid is not very interesting. 2 night, 1 day s is plenty.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:25 AM

cindyjo, there is no specific Spain forum. When you chose "Spain" as a topic when starting the thread, this simply enabled your Europe forum post to be indexed as a Spain-relevant topic. This is done in order to help with subsequent searches for posts.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:47 AM

I don't agree with metellus' rather negative opinion of the white villages or Madrid. The white villages in the Ronda area are very scenic, and driving thru the mountains from village to vilage can be breathtaking. As for Madrid, while it's not on the same level as Rome or Paris, it's worth a few days, especially if you are a museum type.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:42 AM

I found Madrid to be interesting enough to spend a couple of days and nights there..depends on what you like. The Prado, of course, ranks with the greatest of art museums, not to mention the two others nearby.

IMO there is a lot MORE to see in Madrid than in Seville, whcih i also enjoyed, but for different reasons.

Just go and find out for yourself..you won't regret any trip to Spain IMO.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Even though I have to acknowledge that I am not in love with Madrid, there are certainly a lot of must-do things while in the city. I have been there three times and still have things in the list!!!!!

Madrid is also very convenient for day trips (Segovia, Avila, Toledo....)so if you find that you dont 'bind' with it you can hightail out of the city during the day and then enjoy the nightlife.

A car is virtually useless in Sevilla and in Madrid so I would take mjs's advice on taking the train from one to the other.

Metellus sounds a bit harsh, but there IS a lot of 'fine print' to the Parador card. Look carefully before purchasing.

Do not miss Ronda, IMO it is wonderful!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 01:01 PM

"Do not miss Ronda, IMO it is wonderful!"

I agre that Ronda is a very nice place and one of the best places in Spain. The rest of the white villages are a long drive off the road to see thje same white-washed stucco walls that you'll see everywhere else.

I also agree that there are a lot of good daytrips from Mardrid. In fact, Anything that gets you out of Madrid is a good daytrip.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 02:23 PM

ok, here's what we did. flew into barcelona, stayed there a couple days and took an overnight sleeper train to sevilla, visited sevilla and rented a car and drove to granada. granada was probably our favorite in espana. we stayed in an old monestary in the middle of town and it was fabulous. we then drove from granada to toledo and on to madrid.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:19 AM

I would fly from Barcelona - Granada, stay two days, see the Alhambra, then p/u a rental car, drive to Malaga, stay at the Parador in Gilbralfo for two nights, then go through Rhonda and Arcos leisurely on the way to Seville. We stayed at the paradour in Arcos, it's quite a place (also stayed at the one in Malaga, it's beautiful, on top of a hill w/an amazing view of the city/sea). Then continue to Seville, drop the car off, enjoy Seville and take the high speed train back to Madrid. We drove from Madrid-Barcelona-Valencia-Granada-Seville-Madrid. If I knew better, I would have flown from Madrid to Barcelona and Barcelona-Granada. We didn't find the Spain countryside to be especially charming. We loved both Madrid and Barcelona, they are both interesting cities. Have fun.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:20 AM

We also stayed at the Parador in Toledo for one night. This one is fantastic too and I highly recommend it if you want to do an overnight to Toledo. We stayed there on the way back to Madrid, went directly to the airport from there.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

thank you very much for all the replies to my question. we were lucky enough to get a reservation to stay in the alhambra parador on march 25 which is in the middle of our trip. so i am now thinking it might be smart to fly to malaga, get the car and travel in the granada area, las alpujaras (my husband would like to do some walking) and the coast. spend our wonderful night in the alhambra and then head to ronda, arcos and seville. drop off the car and train it back to madrid. if this does end up as the plan does anyone have any personal experience with walking trails in las alpujaras and which town would be a good base? thanks.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM

Are there any hotels in Ronda that could accomodate a family of five. Our preference is for "local and intresting" rather than big chains. Appreciate any advice.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 03:06 PM

I will be driving from Seville to Granada How long does it take?
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
lynzsa

About 4 hours - Alhambra to Barrio Santa Cruz. An easy drive except for the last 15 minutes.

Ian