Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st Trip to Spain (Barcelona, Granada, Seville) - Hotel & Bday Help Needed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are flying into Barcelona in October for four nights, flying to Grandada for two nights, taking the train to Seville for the last three nights and flying back to the US from Seville. From Barcelona we plan to daytrip to Sitges. From Seville, we'd like to visit Cordoba and if there is time, Nerja. While in Barcelona, we will celebrate my bf''s birthday and I am hoping to do something special, dinner at a romantic restaurant or massages for the both of us. Can anyone make any restaurant or spa recommendations? Is Sitges nice enough to spend one night for his b-day? Do we need two nights in Granada?

Also, we'd like to keep our hotels around $100 - $120/night and are looking at the following:

Barcelona: Hotel Granvia
Granada: Hotel Macia Plaza or Hotel Anacapri
Seville: Hotel Alcantara

As for hotels, we'd like less fancy hotels and more colorful (lots of character and atmosphere), nothing too fancy but comfortable hotels within walking distrance to sights. Any recommendations or feedback on the hotels listed above? Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 02:09 AM

I like these atmospheric hotels in Granada and Seville:

Palacio de Santa Ines, Granada. Recommended rooms: 6 and 7.
www.palaciosantaines.com/eng/hotel.htm

Casa Imperial, Seville
www.sevilla5.com/hotels/imperial.html
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 03:25 AM

Two things I can really recommend in Seville.

1/ A visit to the Alcazar, the arquitecture and gardens are breath taking.

2/ The trip to the white villages run by Australian Paul McGrath.
Absolutely excellent. His website is www.galeon.theotherspain.com
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Nerja is a 3 hr drive from Sevilla. Too far for a daytrip really.

Ian
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 04:52 AM

Sikkim, in Barcelona, is a romantic candlelight restaurant. Reservations are highly recommended.

www.sikkimbcn.com/
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank everyone for the replies. Revulgo, that menu looks fantastic. Guilder1, I have heard good things about Paul's tours.

Ian, three hours is too far for a day trip, thanks for the tip. We would like to see the south coast on this trip. Do you think we should stay in Granada for just one night instead of two and take a bus to Marabella or Malaga for one night before continuing to Seville? There is so much I want to see, I am having trouble narrowing down my itinerary.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I am sure that there are bus options. I drove it & it is a very easy drive with good hwy - about 1 1/2 hrs Granada to Nerja. We stayed at the Paraiso del Mar which I highly recommend although it stretches your budget. Marabella & Malaga are more 'big-scale' beach resort towns while Nerja is smaller. It would be hard to stay just one day . . .

While others may protest, we only stayed one night in Granada with the Alhambra as our main & only event.

Trip report - with pictures:

http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/spain3.htm

Ian
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much Ian.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM

From what I can tell your entire trip is barely a week - 4 nights in Barcelona, 2 in Granada and 3 in Sevilla. I don't see how you can fit in Malaga or Marabella unless you cut a night out of Granada or Sevilla. I don't think it's worth it. You'll probably have 2 nights and one full day in Granada which is barely enough to visit the Alcazar, Albacin and the Cathedral. I'd budget at least 3 nights in Sevilla. If you were going to take any time away from Sevilla I'd opt for a daytrip to Cordoba versus a trip to Malaga or Marbella. I know it's tempting to try to push as much as possible into the time alloted but I think you'll end up happier if you aren't moving around constantly.

As for hotels, I've stayed at the Hotel Alcantara in Sevilla. It's a nice hotel and well located in the Juderia but I wouldn't categorize it as colorful. It's more modern (aka Ikea type furnishings). You may be more interested in something like the Hotel Amadeus.

Have you seen Maribel's guides? They are right on target with hotel recommendations:

http://www.maribelsguides.com/
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Re. Barcelona

I think I'd go to Montserrat instead of Sitges if I had just one day trip available. And it does not justify another move to spend one night in Sitges, IMO.

one romantic restaurant.. El Mirador de la Venta, at the bottom of Tibidabo, but already high enough to overlook the whole city. Caveat: Cannot comment on food, just the view
http://www.restaurantelaventa.com/
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM

Thank you for the link to Maribels guides!! What a great site!!