Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Spain: 5 days in Extremadura or Cadiz Province?

Spain: 5 days in Extremadura or Cadiz Province?

Dec 8th, 2018, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Spain: 5 days in Extremadura or Cadiz Province?

Hi,

If you were to spend five nights in two towns in either Extremadura or Cadiz Province as part of a three week trip to Spain, which would you choose?

Thanks.
Dec 8th, 2018, 05:22 AM

All depends on your interests. What are you looking for? in which season will you travel?
May be you google for the provinces of Caceres, Badajoz and Cadiz and compare!
Dec 8th, 2018, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Interests are medieval villages, history and architecture. Places off the beaten path. We will be travelling in July but heat is not a problem for us. We will be spending some time in Andalucia.
Dec 8th, 2018, 06:06 AM

Cadiz is a beautiful old town, much of the centre is pedestrianised. I've been a couple of times on Cruises, last time being at the end of this October. Picked the wrong day as there was awful weather blowing in from the Atlantic.
Dec 8th, 2018, 08:51 AM

5 days in July

Cádiz province covers a large area that includes the Sherry Triangle and some of the best wind surfing beaches on the southern coast, so expect it to be very busy in July. You should be making reserations about now if you want a nice place to stay. Jerez is probably the best small village to stay in but Cádiz is the most interesting and gives you quick access to Sevilla. Heat won't be that much of an issue along the coast as will the wind, but something you can deal with if you like wind surfing. Zahara de la Sierra is another interesting village in the province, but will be busy in July.

Extremadura is rather large and includes the provinces of Cáceres and Badajoz and a few thousands years of history. Mérida is the capital and contains one of the best kept Roman ruins outside of Italy. The only issue is that in July it will be very warm to the south, but a little more tolerable to the north. I find Cáceres a little more interesting, at least its old quarter, but if you like the out doors, Extremadura will do It's also the home of Spain's famous black pig.

Destinations
Dec 8th, 2018, 10:07 AM

I don't know your itinerary. Fans of ancient and medieval History arriving in Estremadura from the North visit usually (in this order) Salamanca, Ciudad Rodrigo (both not in Estremadura), Caceres, Merida, Badajoz, Elvas and Evora (the 2 latter in Portugal, a few miles from the Spanish border).
There are trains and buses from Madrid to Salamanca, from Madrid to Caceres - Merida - Badajoz - Elvas, from Merida to Sevilla and Huelva. Only buses between Salamanca and Caceres as well as between Elvas and Evora.

The cities of Jerez (220.000 inhabitants) and Cadiz (120.000 inhabitants) are interesting too, but more touristy and closer to the beach resorts.
Dec 8th, 2018, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by brandonpeters View Post
Hi,

If you were to spend five nights in two towns in either Extremadura or Cadiz Province as part of a three week trip to Spain, which would you choose?

Thanks.
Are you driving or using public transportation?

My drive around Extremadura is up there with my most wonderful travel experiences of all time. I visited Merida, Caceres, Guadalupe, maybe more,I would have to consult my notes. I want to go back, but not drive, but I have no idea of the public transport options.

I also loved Cadiz, but only did a day-trip.

Regards … Ger
Dec 9th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses.

We will be in Spain for 19 nights and will be spending 4/5 nights in Seville, 2 nights each in Cordoba and Granada and 4/5 nights in Malaga and we were planning to spend 5/6 nights in the Cadiz region but now are strongly considering Extremadura. We will be driving throughout the trip (which we do on all of our European vacations).

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by brandonpeters; Dec 9th, 2018 at 06:21 AM.
Dec 9th, 2018, 09:47 AM

If you are driving, then I strongly recommend Extremadura. Cadiz is lovely, and you can do it as a day-trip by train from Seville.

You will be delighted!

As a starter:

https://espanafascinante.com/en/plac...KogzCfy3EXJQ-Y

Regards … Ger

Search this Thread