Southern Ireland -- Where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be spending 4 days in Ireland this coming week. I plan on spending the first two in Dublin, but I would like to travel south for one or two nights. Can anyone recommend a specific site. I have read about Cork, the Ring of Kerry, Killarney, the Dingle peninsula, etc., but with such a limited amount of time, where should I go? Or would I be better off heading to Galway instead?
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Ardfert

Your time limit suggests that you should consider flying from Dublin to Kerry Airport which is near Killarney.Hire a car there and visit Killarney National Park,Ring of Kerry and perhaps even Dingle.More than 1 in 1,000 Americans visits Killarney in any year and if time is limited that is the place to go.An alternative is to take the 3.5-4 hour train trip from Dublin to Killarney and hire a bicycle or jarvey for the National Park and go on bus tours for other areas.

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:40 AM

It would take you the better part of a full day to get from Dublin to Cork or to west Kerry. If you're going down there (or even to Galway) consider the trek for your arrival day - do Dublin when you return. CityLink (private bus line) has direct service from Dublin airport to Galway (Tourist Office): <BR>4-hours, 15 Euro. <BR><BR>For such a short visit, Dublin &amp; Galway would be fine; but you could actually spend all 4-days in the Dublin area.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:38 AM

I just got back from Ireland and think that given your limited time you might better spend it traveling near Dublin. There are many UNESCO Heritage sites north of Dublin which you could see - Newgrange and the other passage tombs, Hill of Tara, etc. I found these sites extremely interesting. The coast north of Dublin is also nice and has quite a few things to offer. If you prefer gardens and manor houses there are some interesting sites south of Dublin Powerscourt Gardens, Rosbourough (??) House, Glendolough (old monastic site), etc.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:14 PM

Agree with Julie. There is plenty to see in the east and you just don't have time to go west. Add Kilkenny to the list of places to visit near Dublin.<BR><BR>Bill
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:25 AM

I'd definitely agree with the idea of sticking near Dublin. Glendalough is WELL worth the visit (try to get on a tour from the visitor centre there if you can - the guides are fantastic, and it helps a lot with understanding)<BR><BR>I'm not sure how open Rosbourough House is these days (they've been having a few problems with their paintings being stolen - repeatedly!)<BR><BR>On a nice day, Powerscourt Waterfall is lovely. Try the House and Gardens too (they are separate).<BR><BR>North of Dublin there is Clontarf Castle (actually in the suburbs of Dublin), Howth (a lovely area of Dublin for walks - and there is a pub there that does great seafood chowder!), and of course Newgrange (again, the visitors centre is great).<BR><BR>In Dublin city itself there are things to keep you busy for weeks! Try the Book of Kells, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Christchurch, The Viking Adventure (if that's your kind of thing), the Guinness Brewery (the Gravity Bar at the top is amazing), the Jameson Distillery &amp; the viewing tower nearby.<BR><BR>I could go on forever! If you feel you need to get out of Dublin, try Kilkenny - but you will waste nearly a day in getting there and back (if I remember correctly from my last road trip, its about a 4 hour drive from Dublin)<BR><BR>Have a great time<BR><BR>-- Viola
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:00 AM

Hello Viola...A question---What is the name of the pub in Howth with the great seafood chowder? Will be there in May. Thanks....Helen
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:26 AM

We just got back from Ireland last night. We went the same way you are planning and enjoyed it immensely. Our hosts in Dublin(Howth) put us on to some places there and it turned out well. Don't miss the Waterford Glassware factory. Kinsale, Clontakilty and the Mizen Head were also places we were directed and enjoyed. The weather is warmer than in Dublin because of the Gulf Stream. We got two lovely sunny days in the 70's in the SW. The best day was Bunratty, the Cliffs of Moher and Doolin. We took our 8 year old granddaughter and couldn't access the music beacuse it's in the pubs later at night. A young lady from Australia playing the hammered dulcimer at the Cliffs directed us to Conners Pub in Doolin for a Sunday afternoon music session and we spent our last afternoon eating and enyoying the music.