Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best of Ireland outside Dublin in Only 2 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Ireland in May, then on to Portugal. We arrive in Dublin on a Friday morning and are leaving for Portugal on Monday. We will also have an extra day in Dublin on the way back. I know, I know, two days is woefully inadequate to see all that this beautiful country has to offer, but we only have so much time.

Can anyone recommend "must see" attractions for a very short trip to Ireland? We are probably most interested in seeing some castles and the beautiful scenery. Not into museums. A brief search leads me to believe that County Cork, Ring of Kerry, ____. We were expecting to rent a car and leave Dublin Saturday morning, hotel or B&B the next two nights outside Dublin while touring, then return Monday. Any suggestions??
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Not sure if I'd want to go through all those troubles with rental cars etc. if I had only a long weekend in Ireland.
Dublin and surroundings can keep you busy.
A day trip by bus or train, e.g. to Kilkenny could get you a taste of a bit more rural Ireland.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Dublin, bluntly, doesn't even make it into the top ten British cities to visit. The only contribution Irish independence has made to Dublin has been:
- to bomb some of the city's most beautiful Georgian buildings
- to erect in central Dublin some of the most hideous 1980s shlock anywhere outside Bucharest
- to surround the city with council estates even Glasgow can't match for horror.

When you arrive in Dublin, get straight onto a plane for Shannon or Cork (pref Cork). Get yourself to West Cork, which has some of Europe's most sublime coastlines. Or get the bus to Galway for Connemara, or get yourself to the Cliffs of Moher from Shannon. You can't do them all in the time available.

If you really want to see Dublin, on the way home visit the Chester Beatty Library in Dublin Castle and possibly the Book of Kells in TCD - the only world-class tourist attractions in Dublin. You might take in the 8834th re-run of Juno and the Paycock or Playboy of the Western World, though most English provincial reps do them better. But an Irish holiday without Dublin is, as feminists once put it, rather like a fish without a bicycle.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM

flanneruk wrote "Dublin, bluntly, doesn't even make it into the top ten British cities to visit."

Of course it doesn't. Neither does it make the top ten of French cities.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Dublin will never make it into the top 10 British cities list because it has not been a British City since 1921 thank you very much.

There are lots of places in and around Dublin to meet your requirements and you can even get a local “ambassador” to guide you. But you could head out to Galway stopping at Clonmacnoise on the way. Then down along the Burren (Cliffs of Moher)/West Clare coast with an overnight in Limerick. Return to Dublin via Cahir Cashel and Kilkenny.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 12:11 PM

*clap* at Padraig and Tony!

I would recommend not traveling across the country for a three day visit. Either base yourself in Dublin or somewhere else, depending on what you like doing. West is best for scenery and rural joys, while east is best for restored castles and city joys, such as shopping and evening buzz.

My favorite is the west - counties Kerry and Clare - personally. Though Donegal is special, too. But it would be easiest to take a bus or short flight out to Shannon area, and base yourself there.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 01:03 PM

Flanner is technically correct because like it or not, and I wouldn't, the Republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM

With only 2 full days available for touring, I don't think I'd want to spend that time driving to County Kerry, County Clare or Galway. There's plenty of beautiful scenery, castles, etc. close to Dublin.

I'd probably get a rental car and base myself in Malahide or Howth, which are both nice seaside towns close to the airport and on the DART line to Dublin. Take the DART to Dublin on Friday and learn a bit about the country through the Historical Walking Tour of Dublin or ride the HOHO bus to such sites as Kilmainham Gaol. End the evening with some Irish music on the Traditional Musical Pub Crawl.

On Saturday, spend the day sightseeing at Glendalough National Park and County Wicklow(fabulous scenery both there and on the road there). Include a stop at Powerscourt House and Gardens. Overnight in Malahide/Howth.

On Sunday, drive to Newgrange/Knowth/Hill of Tara and then on to Trim to see Trim Castle. Overnight Malahide/Howth.

On Monday, return car to airport and fly to Portugal.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Cathinjoetown wrote: "Flanner is technically correct because like it or not, and I wouldn't, the Republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles."

I don't mind the use of the geographic term "British Isles"; I'm not that precious. But the fact that I live in the second largest of the British Isles does not make me British.

Flanner is right to suggest that my forebears did not treat our built heritage well, but mistaken in when that started. The process can be traced back to 1801.

But a lot of good stuff survived, and in recent decades we have been doing rather better.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Um, Dublin isn't British - it's Irish. And it's a charming city with tons to see and do if you have any knowledge or interest in the history or culture. (Those on the board for a while are familiar with flanneruk's rather unique and bizarre point of view on Ireland and the Irish.)

However, I would agree in the very limited time you have - to stay in Dublin and do a day trip to see one small area of the countryside.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 05:58 AM

I like longhorn55's suggestions but would stay in Dublin. I love Dublin and you can take a day tour easy from there but I have yet to see everything I want to see in four trips. There is a tourist office on Suffolk in an old church and there you can book a day trip to anywhere. There is even one that will take you to the cliffs or to the Aran Islands from Galway.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 06:10 AM

http://www.galwaytourcompany.com/gtc/tourinfo.jsp?id=22

This bus will take you to the Bus station in Galway, there you can meet a bus that will take you to the cliffs, north or to the Aran islands. We did a day trip when we were in Galway and the bus was running a little late because of traffic but they radioed ahead and the return bus to Dublin stayed for them. It was a great tour.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 11:03 AM

For all those confused about Ireland and Britain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACOlr...ature=youtu.be