Search

Cork or Dublin?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cork or Dublin?

Planning a trip from London to Ireland. We will just be there for the week-end. Which city would be the best choice, Dublin or Cork?
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 08:38 PM

Dublin, I think. I've been among those that have said I like other parts of Ireland better, but I do most love the scenery most.

For a city only experience, Dublin over Cork for size, history and things to do IN town. Both have interesting things outside of town close enough to be worth visiting.

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 08:45 PM

I LOVE Cork. We have family there and it's near the part of the country (the West) that I love the most, but I'm with Clifton on this. With only two days, Dublin is the way to go, even though it will cost double (or more) what two days in Cork cost. With it's infrastructure of Dart, trains and buses and the close core of City Center you are never more than a few minutes walk from a week's worth of activities.
Go for it, but book your lodging EARLY!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:21 AM

Hello. I live in Dublin. Have visited cork. Cork is basically a little dublin. The scenery is much the same. Except Cork doesn't have a temple bar. Tourists love temple bar. The Irish dispise it ;-)
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Well, as a native but honest Corkonian, I'd have to agree that Dublin would have a lot more to offer. Cork would be perfect for basing yourself in for day trips to West Cork and even Kerry. But as a tourist destination in itself? Not a lot to offer really. Possibly if were coming mainly for the nightlife, then Cork would be a better choice due to its concentrated city centre.
Also, I'd disagree that Dublin would cost double or more than Cork. A little bit more expensive like any capital city yes, but not that much.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 07:52 AM

It won't cost more than double of Cork but there will be more to do and I would go for Dublin. Yes Dublin can get pricey but most of Ireland is as well.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Apologies from a (somewhat) humbled Fodorite. The double the price is probably (and according to Locals, definitely) an exaggeration, but I stand by the book early admonition.

I've never actually PAID to stay in Cork, so I erronniously assumed prices there were comperable to those I pay in East and West Cork -- and that is generally about half of what I paid for a weekend stay in Dublin last June. On reflection, it would seem logical that prices in Cork city would be higher.

Sorry -- My bad.

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:29 AM

another vote for Dublin!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:12 AM
kat

and yet another vote for Dublin....great place to visit with a lot to do and see. Enjoy!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:06 PM

If you're going to spend all your time in the city, Dublin would be more interesting than Cork. If you're going to be exploring the surrounding areas, Cork would be a better choice. But either way you'll have a good time.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 01:20 AM

>Cork would be a better choice

I'd say dublin is the better choice still. Especially if you're only spending the weekend. I'd recommend visiting Newgrange. It's an amazing archeological find. It's 4000 years old (older than the egyption pyramids).