Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel in Rome, Venice, Florence with Pancakes, waffles, etc. included?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have really fussy kids. Anyone have an experience at a given hotel in Florence, Rome, Venice where a buffet or cooked to order breakfast included in hotel price pancakes, french toast, waffles, etc. and it was actually good? Please share. Also, any good restaurants at any of these places at reasonable prices?
Thanks
ken
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 11:29 AM

In the various places I researched, I vaguely seem to recall that La Residenza in Rome might have such things. There was a recent thread about breakfast in Italy that mentioned a cafe in Piazza Barberini that serves an American breakfast - I think the price is 12 Euros or so.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Perhaps the hotels run by American chains -- Holiday Inn, Starwood -- offer American breakfasts. I've never stayed at them, so I can't say for sure.

Or you might take the opportunity to point out to your children that you are taking them to a fantastic country and giving them the chance to experience a different culture. If they don't like the breakfasts, they are sure to love the gelato!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:15 PM

I've never, ever, seen that. I have seen sweet pastries that they might like along with cereal, yogurt and fruit.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:29 PM

pretty unlikely - but the kids won't starve. They can have fruit, pastry or whatever and if they are so picky that even that won't do - they are bound to eat a lot at lunch time. Don't wear yourself out trying to find the one or two places in Rome/Florence/Venice that have cooked American b'fasts.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:42 PM
ira

Hi ken,

The Holiday Inn EUR Parc Medici outside Rome.

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Let them skip breakfast and watch while you eat. They'll just be more hungry for lunch. I bet by the second or third day they'll join you.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Perhaps your children should learn to open their minds, and mouths. There are so many wonderful things to eat all over the world - what a pity that they (and you) expect the world to adapt to them!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:58 PM

I agree with the other posters Kendu. We have taken our boys travelling from a very early age, including to Europe. Our youngest is also "fussy" but he eats what is on the menu or not at all. It may sound harsh but the approach works. He has actually discovered many new foods that he now enjoys. Part of travelling is being open to new experiences. Your children will take their cues from you.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 02:23 PM

The last poster is right, the kids will take their cues from you. I remember one trip that we did not know what we were ordering (it was in Portugal) and what arrived at our 4 yr olds plate was grilled calamari. We did not say a word, and he ate it...and loved it! He asked for that the rest of the trip. In France escargot and frogs legs were his favorites.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Walk those little critters over to the nearest caffe and buy them a freshly baked warm cornetto and hot chocolate. They may never want pancakes again!

This thread brings a smile to my lips and sweet memories of our then-five year-old's (he's almost 26 now) first trip to Europe. We had been in Germany where he eschewed schnitzel in many locations, downing wursts instead. By the time we reached Vienna, he was brave enough to try schnitzel. He thought he'd gone to heaven and ordered it thereafter every night on the trip.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:22 PM

In Rome, the St. Regis Grand has all that stuff for breakfast and it is included in the room rate IF you pay for your stay with the Amex Platinum Card. Same with the Hotel Regency in Florence. The Villa San Michele in Fiesole has most, if not all, of those breakfast items and I believe is included in the room rate, which is extremely high. The Gritti Palace has all of those items, but breakfast is not included in the room rate. Generally, breakfasts that are included in the room rate are a continental breakfast which can range from coffee and a roll to a small buffet with cereal, hard or soft boiled eggs, yogurt, various breads and pastries, fruits, cheese, cold cuts, juice and milk. My girls were always happy with cereal and/or a croissant and some cheese if we weren't staying at one of the more luxurious hotels.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:58 PM

Don't EVER base a hotel stay on eating an American breakfast- otherwise you will end up with all the other Americans at their "tour bus" hotels that are always located on the outskirts of the city.Do what the above posters have suggested and you may be very surprised how quick your fussy eaters change-mind did!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Valid points made. Okay, can anybody recommend which inexpensive family oriented hotels had pancakeless but comprehensive breakfasts. If not, good idea, they will just watch us and learn.
Ken
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:54 PM

Kendu, Hotel Julia had the following for breakfast:

croissants, baguettes, jams and marmalade, cream cheese, butter, nut spread, yogurt, fruit cocktail, cornflakes, tortes, ham or salami, tea, coffee, real orange juice, other mixed juice, coffee, milk, tea, and cappucinos and such hot drinks on request

I was very pleased with it.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Sorry, it was canned peaches - not fruit cocktail - at Hotel Julia.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 09:23 PM

when in rome, do as the romans do.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:12 PM

There is a McDonalds near the Santa Maria Novella Train Station that serves breakfast. American style.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:18 PM

If I were you I would try to get my kids to have a broader outlook if you are going to spend time with them in Italy. They will have to realize that things are different in another country and they will have to adjust. It should be a good learning experience for them and might save you from hearing alot of whining along the way, if they are told this upfront.

I couldn't imagine catering to fussy kids on my Italy trip.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 11:37 PM

SeaUrchins comments IMHO are to be listened too.

When we took our teenage daughter to Italy we told her several times that "things would be different". And of course they were. And she learned to love the difference.

Fussy kids must, for their own sake, learn to adjust to other cultures when they travel. That is part of the learning process of traveling.

This is an education that you can give them so that when they are older and travel to other countries they will not expect the rest of the world to be like the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -