Search

Sorrento, Italy Car Rentals?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento, Italy Car Rentals?

Good morning,
I am travelling to Italy in a few weeks and I am thinking of renting a car in Sorrento (from Auto Europe -- anyone have feedback on them?). I will be coming from a ferry on Capri, and the pickup point for the car rental is "Downtown Sorrento on 253 Corso Italia". Is this convenient from the ferry drop off point? Thanks for any advice!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 04:48 AM

Search AutoEurope on this website. There's a tremendous amount. Mostly good. I use them all the time. I've only been to Sorrento once. If that road isn't directly in front of the dock, you'll have to walk up a very steep hill or take a bus or taxi.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 08:25 AM

We too have high praise for AutoEurope, having used them in both France and Italy with great results.

The following web site may be of help to you:

http://www.sorrentomap.com/

You will arrive at Marina Piccolo from Capri, but I'm not sure where Corso Italia is. There is a steep hill to Piazza Tasso from the marina, but I don't know whether or not this is the shortest route to pick up your car. Taxi might be the best way to go.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:14 PM

I am renting from Auto Europe also and will be picking up my car in Sorrento. I will be coming from Positano and I guess I will be taking a taxi. Is their another way to get to Sorrento with suit cases? It is an Avis car rental and I was wondering if going directly to Avis would be cheaper?
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:57 PM

LuLu: Avis will not give you all the insurances that AutoEurope gives you. You can get them but you will pay a fortune for it. They use Avis cars and others. They also have an agreement that their customers will get low mileage cars. The only other way to get from Positano to Sorrento is by bus. A taxi will be a fortune. In the summer I think there is usually an aliscafi (jet boat, hydrofoil) from Positano to Sorrento. Contact your hotel and they'll get you that information.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 07:19 PM

Auto Europe was great. We ended up driving farther than we planned at various times and there were nono of the extra drop charges that Hertz and Avis would have had.

We will certainly use them again.

Diane
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 01:16 AM

Molly - Corso Italia is the main shopping street off Piazza Tasso - the central square. There's a frequent shuttle bus from the port up to Piazza Tasso.

If you don't have luggage you can take a short cut up the steps to Piazza Tasso, otherwise it's a 15 min walk.

Steve