Notices

irish veterans only

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
irish veterans only

If you were asked to plan a surprise trip for a dear friend on the west coast of ireland(South to North..its up to you) to show them all that Ireland has to offer(beautiful scenery, picturesqe towns, lively pubs, friendly people) for a short (4 nights,5 days..Shannon mid-day Departure)stay how would you plan it? Be specific....towns,lodging, special sights, special restaurants/pubs, etc.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I had only five days, I'd want to pack in a lot, so:
Day 1: Arrive Shannon and head for Doolin. See Cliffs of Moher on the way. Explore the Burren area if you're not too jet lagged. Enjoy Doolin's pubs.

Day 2: Drive to Galway to spend a day in the city. Lunch at McDonagh's for fish and chips.

Day 3: Drive the coast road to Clifden through the Connemara area. Dinner at Off the Square in Clifden.

Day 4: Drive to Ennis or Killaloe for your last night.

It's hard for me to bypass Dingle, but with just four nights, I think I'd head north.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 01:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You say: "be specific..." It also makes a difference what days of the week and what time of year you are inquiring about. Saturday afternoons, for example, are great for walkabouts in Galway. You can find Traditional Irish music from about 2:00 PM in An Caeli or Taaffes.

Otherwise, I think MaryZ's got you covered.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To Nedsireland and MaryZ:
Thanks so much for the suggestions. This is for an October trip(mon-Fri). Any suggestions for B&B's in Doolin, Ennis or Killaloe? Maryz...I very much want to visit Dingle but agree that with 4 nights/5 days I should focus on a smaller region. Thanks again!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've stayed at the Old Ground Hotel in Ennis because I haven't yet found a B&B within easy walking distance of downtown.
In Killaloe, I've stayed at Kincora House B&B. I like it a lot, but it may not be for everyone. It's in a very old, but beautifully restored, house. Great if you like old houses.
I've stayed at Daly's House B&B in Doolin. This is a fairly plain and simple B&B with nothing special about it except for Susan Daly, the owner, who is warm and welcoming and knowledgable about the area.
In deciding between Killaloe and Ennis, keep in mind that Ennis is quite a bit larger. It has many more restaurants and pubs. I like both towns for my last night, but I choose Killaloe when I'm in the mood for something quieter and smaller.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 01:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"within easy walking distance" is a phrase some B&B operators will tease you with. In Ennis I have stayed at the Temple Gate and at the Queen's hotel and most recently (May'03 - during the Spring music festival) at the Ennis Tourist Hostal (across from the Old Friary). I had spoken with the people at Ardlea B&B and at Rose Cottage B&B and both said they were within walking distance of the town center. I can't vouch for that in either case.

Cruise's Restaurant & Pub, adjacent to the Queen's hotel has Traditional Irish music every night. Friday is usually quite good.

This being a "surprise trip for a dear friend," you might want to consider a 'Golden Oldie' like the Old Ground Hotel in Ennis.