Sorrento is it more than just a good base

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Capri, Amalfi and Pompei. I know that Sorrento is a good base to all of them, but in its own right is it worth spending time.

Or should we just use it as a place to spend the night when we are going to Pompei and then leave from there to go to Capri and spend a couple of nights on Capri instead.

Thank you, Inor
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM

IMO, "spend a couple of nights on Capri instead." Capri is at its best when the daytrippers are not there, i.e. early AM and the PM.
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If Capri, Amalfi and Pompeii are the only places on your itinerary, then one night Sorrento and two nights Capri would be very nice. If you also want to go to the archeological museum in Naples and/or visit other towns on the Amalfi Coast, then you might want to make it two nights Sorrento and one night Capri.

But as far as Sorrento being worth spending time, I'd suggest you read the recent trip report of Tripgirl who enjoyed Sorrento very much and gave some great info on restaurants, etc. I happen to agree with her opinion of Sorrento but many on this board are unimpressed by the town, even as a base for exploring the entire area.

Old May 20th, 2006, 09:55 AM

We dearly love Sorrento. A week or more there wouldn't be too much for us. We stay in the old town at the Bellevue Syrene and enjoy walking the old streets to Piazza Tasso, to the train station or Marina Piccolo to catch a ferry to Capri. Good restaurants, interesting shops, beautiful church (particularly the cloister), nice people, breathtaking views of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius. What more could you ask for?
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your response. I am also trying to figure out how to get to Sorrento.

We are flying in to Naples, but our flight misses the bus by 5 min and the next one isn't for 2 hours.

I know we can take a cab to the ferry, but that seems like it would be slightly painful.

Does anyone have another suggestion?

Also I get car sick and I am concerned about the bus ride.
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Hello inor, I was just going to post and saw Giovanna's post..she wrote what I was going to say! Hi Giovanna!

Inor, regarding "missing your bus by 5 minutes" your plane could be late so you could miss the bus by many minutes, especially depending how long it takes to get your luggage etc

I don't understand why taking a taxi to the ferry would be "slightly painful" Do you mean you get seasick as well as car sick? You will have to go by boat to Capri. I agree that staying at least one night on Capri is the way to enjoy that beautiful island. Also, how do you plan on getting to Amalfi? I am sorry but I am afraid I don't understand. Best wishes and I am sure you will so enjoy your time in this beautiful area of Italy.
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Question to Loveitaly -

My wife and I will be in Sorrento in September, flying into Naples. I was planning on taking the bus. I see from your post that one can take a ferry from Naples instead of the bus? Do you have any info on the ferry - a website perhaps????

Thanx
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Hello joearena, I have never taking the ferry from Naples to Sorrento as we always went by car.

But I went onto to Google and typed in "Naples ferry to Sorrento, Italy" in the search box and a lot of informative websites popped up. So if you do this I am sure you will find all of the information that you will need.

When going to Capri we always went via the hydrofoil from Naples to Capri.

Best wishes, and have a wonderful trip!
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:41 PM

Inor, as LoveItaly pointed out, your plane could be late. Just wait for the next bus. Since you'll be early, you should be able to snag front row seats which should help with the motion sickness. (The alternative of cab and ferry from the airport to Sorrento probably wouldn't save you any time as you'd have to wait for a ferry anyway.) The ride to Sorrento is not full of turns.

The ride from Sorrento to Amalfi, however, is very twisty-turny and the bus drivers drive rather fast. (They must know the roads like the back of their hands.) If you're really sensitive to motion sickness, you might want to take an OTC drug or splurge on a car and driver for a day of exploring the coastal towns.

Regarding motion sickness on the boats: My husband is fairly sensitive to sea sickness but had no trouble on either the ferries or hydrofoils. Then again, seas have always been calm when we've been there.
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:22 PM

inor,

Hi this is Tripgirl. I just wrote my very recent trip report, just type in my name and it will pop up.

We loved Sorrento, and we also STAYED on Capri rather than day tripped it.

Here is my opinion though: After seeing the coast with Positano, Ravello and Amalfi, you can't go wrong with those towns either. Sorrento is more convenient to Pompeii though. We really loved Sorrento, as it is easy to walk around, it's flatter than the other towns, we mingled among locals and of course we had great lodging. The west side of the town is charming. But I think you have to do it "right' there. Stay cliffside at one of the palatial hotels. We stayed at the Bellevue Syrene and you can see all I said about it on my report.

Do for sure stay on Capri; a day trip will not give you any idea of this island. Wish we stayed longer there.
In so far as transporting yourself ; we did it this way. Flew into Naples, got to the ferry ( take a cab, but leave LOADS of time to get there as traffic is tough). We went to Capri first. The trip is only 40 minutes and I usually get a little seasick, but not at all on this trip even after along transcontinental flight. The ferry is large enough not to feel much. Our seas however that day were calm. Then we took the ferry again from Capri to stay on Sorrento and I really liked this ferry. It had couches and tables and it was so delightful. Only 20 minutes to Sorrento from Capri. Then we took ground transportation back to
the Naples airport, although we had a private bus ( you'll see why when you see the nature of my trip).

There are also lots of private drivers I know alot of people here have used, so you could be picked up in Naples and driven in a private car to Sorrento if you want to start out that way or if you decide to lodge in Positano, etc.

You'll have a great time, relax. As a matter of fact, try to start relaxing now, because you will miss the whole point of the AC if you are too uptight. Just have fun, plan well, but try to relax!!

Have a great, great time!!!
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:50 PM

We enjoy Sorrento and use it as a base for day trips - but also like it because it is a larger town - has more restaurants and shops - as well as a charming waterfront - but mostly because we use our hotel as a mini-resort (large pool area, beautiful gardens and terraces overlooking the Bay of Naples).
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:34 AM

I'm surprised no one has suggested the option of the Circumvesuviana train (http://www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm)from Naples to Sorrento. It departs downstairs from the regular train station and is a commuter type train that originates in Naples and ends in Sorrento. That is also the train you will be taking from Sorrento to Pompeii Scavi and possibly Herculaneum (if you plan to go there).

Incidentally, we caught the SITA bus that goes to Positano, Amalfi, etc. just across the street from the train station in Sorrento. We purchased our tickets in a small store on the right at the top of the stairs of the train station.

Thanks for the kind words LoveItaly.

Tripgirl: read parts of your wonderful trip report yesterday and since it has been several years since our last trip to Sorrento, I was very surprised to hear about the drastic changes at Bellevue Syrene. We had been friends with the manager there, who apparently no longer has that position. I'm reserving my opinion on the modernization to see it for myself, but I'm afraid I'm going to hate it!

Old May 21st, 2006, 12:25 PM

Giovanna,

Are you going to the BS soon.

Yes, I think if you overall do not care for modern you might not like it, but we loved it!!!

I like both, I can take ornate and old fashioned and minimal and hip.

Heck, anywhere is better than being at home!!!!!!!
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:02 PM

During our latest trip to the Amalfilate last year, due to delays in our flight from NY and, consequently, missing on our connecting flight from London, we missed the car that was supposed to pick us up and instead took the waiting bus just outside the airport to Sorrento. I remember it was only about 6Euro per person and the ride was comfortable and uneventful with none of the hairpin turns that can potentially make you carsick.

As part of our preparation during our latest trip in the Amalfi Coast late last year was research ways of getting to Naples from Sorrento and vice versa. The Circumvesuviana train was a very efficient. Here's the fare and schedule for one of the private ferry option -

http://www.alilauro.it/destinazioni/destinazioni.htm

The ferry in Naples can be boarded at Molo Beverello near Piazza Municipio, at the bottem end fo the square.

Sorrento is an excellent place for daytrips to and around the Amalfi coast, and including Pompeii and Naples. Sorrrento is a lively town, where there enough things to do for sightseeing, shopping, relieving stress and relaxing, especially if you happen to pick a hotel with a nice pool and private beach.

The Amalfi Coast is one European area that we always make sure to find a great and relaxing hotel whenever it is included in our travel plans. We stayed at Ambasciatorri, a very good hotel located in a quiet area just 10-minute walking distance from P. Tasso, perched on a cliff overlooking the Bay, with good hot breakfasts, comforable/modern in-room amenities, lovely pool and garden, private beach that is accessible via an elevator that is dug through the cliff down to the beach.

Old May 21st, 2006, 05:34 PM

The Circumvesuviana train wasn't suggested because the original poster is starting from the Naples airport. I still think it would be less stressful to just wait for the next bus to Sorrento.

The Circumvesuviana is the best way to get from Sorrento to Pompeii.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:19 AM

Tripgirl: Sadly no we won't be going to Sorrento this year, maybe next. I pulled up the website for BS and really couldn't see much changed from what I remember. Perhaps they've remodeled everything but their website! LOL

It isn't that I don't appreciate modern and many other decors, it's just that with the incredibly long history at the BS (started as Roman Emperor's vacation home) everything about it reeked that history. It almost seems blasphemous to turn the old girl completely on her head. As I said, I'll reserve opinions until I see for myself, but in the meantime I'm feeling rather sad, not only about the "purple & green" but also that our friend, Mr. Burton, will no longer greet us at the desk.
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:09 PM

thank you tripgirl we will be in sorrento on the 23 of sept. we will arrive in naplesfrom rome by train. my husband wants to rent a car and drive to sorrento do you think is it wise to do so?
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:39 PM

rayzen,

I would not unless you intend to do lots of driving around; parking is a nightmare1

Why don't you either train it to Sorrento or you could do the ferry if you like being onthe water, or you could hire a private driver.

Unless you REALLY like to drive and even then, as the driver you'll miss all the views!!!!!!
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Four of us rented a cliffside villa in Piano di Sorrento. We found it a wonderful home base to explore the area. Convenient to Capri, Pompeii, Amalfi, etc. We had a car though--you didn't mention if you would have one. I think it's a necessity. Also, I'd stay out of the area during the summer tourist high season. Traffic is horrendous then.