Naples, Sorrento & Capri

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples, Sorrento & Capri

My sister, cousin and friend are meeting in Rome and then visiting family in Sicily. We were going to stop off in Naples on our way back up to Rome. I have heard that we should visit Sorrento and Capri. Our train gets into Naples around 4pm on a Monday- should we try to get to Sorrento that night? Can we just spend a day on Capri? Any suggestions? We wanted to head back to Rome on Wens. morning.
Thanks.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 12:27 PM
ira

Hi,

The Circumvesuviana train takes you from Napoli to Sorrento. It takes about an hour.
See http://www.vesuviana.it/orario_ol/orari.asp
for schedules.

Yes, you can spend a day on Capri. Ferries leave from Sorrento.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:01 AM

Rather than Sorrento itself, the area not to miss is the Amalfi Coast, - probably the most beautiful coastline in Europe. Just spectacular! Here are some views:

www.capri-exclusive.com

If you are returning from Sicily by train it's best to get off at Salerno. From there you can travel the Amalfi Coast by ferry or bus.

You could overnight on the coast itself at Positano, Amalfi or Praiano - or continue to Sorrento.

You could then do a day-trip to Capri from Positano or Sorrento. Or you could overnight in Capri.

Whichever of these you choose you really can't go wrong IMO.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help!

Our plan now is to:
1) get to Naples at 4:20 and take a train to Sorrento for the evening. Any suggestions on places to stay, where to eat, what to do. We are all in our twenties- but don't necessarily want to go drinking/ dancing every night.

2) Take one of the morning ferries to Capri for the day. Does anyone know the difference between the "ferry" and the "fast ferry"? About how much should they cost? I heard abuot four euros- does that sound about right?

3) Once on Capri, we were going to rent scooters. Any suggestions for what to do? At this point, we we're going to just drive around the island, and stop wherever the mood struck us. Should we have a more detailed plan.

4) We were going to take the ferry back to Sorrento that night and then the train back to Naples. Should we stay on Capri to eat late lunch/ dinner? Any suggestions for inexpesive places?

5) I was going to get us a room at a hotel or B&B near the train station in Naples, because we are leaving for Rome at 11am the next morning. Is the train station area an okay area? Does Naples have much of a night life?

Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:44 AM

while in Sorrento we ate at place called Il Buco. i would highly recommend this place.