short tour of Sorrento - Pompeii - Capri

Feb 3rd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

short tour of Sorrento - Pompeii - Capri

We are taking a 10-day vacation in Italy in April. We'd very much like to do a 2-day (possibly 3 day) tour of Pompeii - Sorrento area, ending in Sorrento (from there we're probably going on to Venice). This is a 25th anniversary trip. (the 10 days includes travel time)

any suggestions?
Feb 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM

Unfortunately, you may be a bit early for Sorrento.

Check to see about the boats from Sorrento to Capri and Positano.

Most people write off Sorrento as merely a launching point to other destinations.

I think it's a very nice destination on it's own. A lot a sights/views, shopping (check in your local mall and you may find that the music boxes are made in Sorrento) and restaurants.
Feb 3rd, 2010, 09:27 AM

So are you planning to stay in Sorrento? - it is easy to go to Pompei from there and I think Capri as well - I think the ferries / hydrafoils run from Sorrento to Capri in April. Then you can head up to Rome and train to Venice. Sorrento is pleasant but more of a base than a place of sights. I would be hopeful that April will be spring like with lots of flowers. Were you looking for hotel / restaurant suggestions? your post was not very clear.
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:14 AM

I used the hydrofoils/ferries to Capri from Sorrento (also from Naples to Capri) in late March before (lemons were already big on the trees) so I don't think you will have a problem in April. You might not have ferry options from Sorrento to Positano in April, but you can take the bus. Be sure to leave early for Capri and buy your return ticket to Sorrento at the same time as the ferries don't run late even in summer(6 or 7 pm).

Pompeii is an easy train ride from Sorrento (about 30 minutes 2-3€).

Are you flying into Naples? If so, there is a shuttle bus from the airport to Sorrento (Curreri - about 10€).
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:57 AM

HI; This is the hotel we stayed at in Sorrento. Was easy to walk to from the train. All downhill, perhaps two hundred yards. Richard www.hotelantichemura.com/
Feb 3rd, 2010, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

We are flying into Rome, spending a little time there, then going to Sorrento. Out of the 9 or 10 days we have, I would really like to do a 2 day tour (based in Sorrento, but going to places around there such as Pompeii), both for the history & info, & for the socializing with others for a couple of days, which adds to the fun.
Carrani Tours was recommended, but we've emailed them questions & haven't gotten any response. Any other ideas? Anyone have experience w/ Carrani?
Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:10 PM

Why use a tour? Tours out of Rome to Pompeii usually spend half their time at shops and very little time in Pompeii. I would just hop on the train and go.
Feb 3rd, 2010, 05:01 PM

We were in Italy last October and stayed in Sorrento. We went to Pompeii by train (only 30 minutes away) and took the ferry over to Capri where we stayed a few nights. You might be interested in reading my trip report for more details. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...tober-2009.cfm.

When we were exploring Pompeii, I noticed that some people in the tour groups wore audio guides to hear what the tour guide was saying. Pompeii is large and can be sometimes crowded viewing the sites.

I had downloaded all Rick Steve's free podcasts for major sights in Rome on to my iPod. They was very informative and saved us money from paying for audio guides. I just read that he will be coming out with a new podcast for Pompeii sometime this month. You may want to consider this option.

Have a fabulous trip!
Feb 7th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies.
Would like to do the 2 day tour of Pompeii, etc. then take the bus along Amalfi coast on our own.
Hotel recommendations? (want good location & not too noisy at night). I'm guessing no one in this group has experience with tours in Italy. Thanks for your help!
KH
Feb 7th, 2010, 02:24 PM

We made Sorrento a base in March one year. You'll be fine. There are some really nice hotels in Sorrento with elevators to the water/ferry/hydrofoil area.

We took a city bus to Amalfi and it took a good hour and a half to go 20 miles! Very curvy roads with much backing up of busses. If you can hire a car or taxi for the Amalfi Coast, you'll maker better time. Check boats to towns on Amalfi coast as well.

Yes, Pompeii by train is easy.