Sorrento-Grand Hotel Excelsior

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento-Grand Hotel Excelsior

Anyone stay here before? It's kind of expensive and wondering ifits worth it or just overpriced and old? How about the Hilton Palace Sorrento? Any other hotel recommendations for Sorrento?
Will be traveling by train and want to use Sorrento as a base to see CAPRI and POMPEII and want to be near the action and hydrofoils.. Thanks!
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:08 AM

Good morning, Gail
The ECEELSIOR is perhaps the best hotel in Sorrento...and the HILTON PALACE also
very good. Would suggest you look into
the HOTEL BELLEVUE SYRENE,it is a four
star with 65 rooms, located on the
Pza della Vittoria which is located about one block from the Paa Tasso which
is tge cebter if tiwb.. The Syrene is located on a cliff overlooking the Bay
of Naples, Vesuvius, and Napoli. Naturally some of the rooms face the rear as in the same as the Excelsior Vittoria.. Have been to Sorrento 3 times and used the Syrene the last trip and that was many years ago but still
have very good memoies of the view.
Search in any of the IT Hotel sites for further information on that and any hotel lin Sorrento....
Richard of LaGrange Park,IL

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Richard for the info and will check out the Bellevue Syrene....
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:57 AM

My daughter and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Riviera (www.hotelriviera.com) and we were very pleased with it. It also has wonderful views of the Bay of Naples, the staff was very friendly, it has a pleasant pool area as well as a bathing and sunning area down at the bottom of the cliffs. We payed around 200E a nite so it is not as pricey as some of the other hotels mentioned. Our room was good sized, very clean, nice bathroom and a small balcony that overlooked a large orange orchard - you could see the water in the distance, other rooms had better views for more euros! The public spaces of the hotel were also nice - I think it caters alot
to British tourists. It was a bit out of town - 10 minute walk along the bay and about the same to the train station. A bus runs out front. My daughter and I also used Sorrento as a base to see Capri and Pompeii - we had a wonderful trip! This year we are returning to spend four nites on Capri, more to just relax than sightsee. Ciao! SueC1
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another vote for the Bellevue Syrene. We liked that it was a bit away from the main tourist area. Very quiet and ... serene!
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:29 AM

I vote for the Bellevue Syrene too, Gail. Not that we've ever stayed there, but after much research for our Nov. trip I picked the BS-it has the most gorgeous location on the cliff. Be sure to book an oceanview and bring that digital camera with a couple 256 MB cards. Have a GREAT trip!!
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:53 AM

We just got back from Sorrento, and stayed at the Hotel Tramontano, a 4-star set in a lovely tropical garden and down the block from Bellevue Syrene. The reason we didn't stay at Bellevue Syrene was that it has no pool, so if that's important to you, it's something to consider. Our rooms overlooked the Bay of Naples and had huge terraces, so at night we spent most of our time outside into the early morning hours! Waterview rooms ran about $250/night.

FYI, I'm not sure based on what we saw and having talked to various locals, what makes the Excelsior worth the extra $$$. It has a fairly small pool, and since it's basically right on Piazza Tasso, it seems it would be noisier at night than either Bellevue Syrene or Tramontano.

Anyway, good luck, and have a great time!
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 06:13 PM

Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Sorrento Palace? The web site looks inviting.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

aneckc-I'm also wondering about the Hilton Sorrento Place..... I inquired about it on this site, but didn't get too many responses back. I know the hotel is in a hilltop location and the walk to town is about 20 minutes. I have some points through HILTON HONORS... Might be a good place to use them if the hotel is in a good location and not too far a walk to downtown area....
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:24 AM

We loved La Grand Hotel Cocumella....it is a converted monastery high on the cliffs. Nice pool area, great views of Vesuvias. Need to take an elevator to the beach area. A little outside of town, but we took taxis to and from the hotel with ease.