Reload this Page >

Sorrento base - hotel location

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Lily

Reading seems to indicate that Sorrento is a good base for visiting Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, Capri and Naples.Looking for hotel or apartment with a little bit of charm that would be a little outside but within 10 minute walking distance to town center and bus, train, hydrofoil Hard to tell from hotel descriptions and talk of cliffs,or whether they mean 10 min by walking or car.Any suggestions?

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Frank

Lily<BR>Recently stayed at Hotel Minerva, which is a ten minute walk from the town center on the main road. It's another ten minute walk to get down to the dock for the hydrofoils. Nice hotel, with pleasant staff and incredible view. I would recommend it.<BR>Frank

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Jeff W

I stayed in Sorrento last year for four nights at end of May beginning of June at the Belleview Syrene. The Hotel was about 5 mintues walk from the center of town. We had a suite overlooking water which was very nice. I htought the rooms were nice--dinner not so good. Sorrento is a good place to be if you want to explore everything--but if you want to eat dinner at Amalfi Coast--in Positano, Ravello or Amalfi, there are no buses back to Sorrento afterwards-so it pays to have a car if you are interested in that--otherwise I would recommend Sorrento.

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Amy

I stayed at the Capodimonte in Sorrento in April. I loved it! Very nice place with character...one of the fodorites described it as "something out of a James Bond movie" I concur with that statement!

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:50 AM
igor

How far is Capodimonte from the center of town?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Igor

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Kay

Lily,<BR>if you are after something cheaper, we would recommend the Palazzo Starace, 6 rooms in a building off the main street. We had a double bed, private bathroom and balcony, with breakfast across the street at the local bar (cafe). It was 10 min walk to the train and bus station. Sorrento is set high up on a cliff so it's about 15 min walk to catch the ferries, but it's a steep walk down and back up again. There is a local bus that does this route.<BR>If you do a search on this forum, you'll see more info on the Palazzo Starace.<BR>Kay

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:10 PM
karen

We stayed in Sorrento for 6 days last May and used it as a base for visiting Naples, Capri, Amalphi Coast, Pompeii, etc.<BR>We stayed at the Hotel Europa Palace. It is only a few blocks from the main downtown area and right on the cliffs. The rooms are large, with French doors opening to a view of the Bay of Naples. It was great! I would say the Hotel is moderately priced, not budget (we usually go for more of a budget hotel, but decided to splurge..it was worth it!). If you don't mind hills, you can even walk to the docks where you can get the hydrofoil to Naples or a ferry to Capri. We had a car (and the hotel even had a place to park it) and used it to see the Amalphi Coast, Pompeii, and Paestrum.<BR>Being within a short walk of the downtown area is a definate plus. At times (especially in the evening or after ferries arrived), there was quite a queue of people waiting for local buses and we were glad that we could walk back to our hotel easily.