Search

Sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2019, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento

Hello
I am posting again in hopes to reach someone who a suggestion. We are traveling to Italy this summer and would like to explore the Amalfi area. I was thinking of basing ourselves in Sorrento. Wanting to see Capri,Positano, Amalfi and Pompeii. We are looking for a place the has a view, pool, easy access to the beach, transportation and restaurants. We are family of 2 adults and 2 teens so need a quad. Budget $500-700 a night.

Appreciate any tips!
Sally
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 09:25 AM

I have stayed at this hotel twice and loved it. They have quads and are way under that price point you mention. It's called a "hostel" because they have a few rooms that sleep 6 I think, but most of the rooms are regular doubles, with a few triples and quads. They have a pool but it is extra. It's just past the center of town so easy walking distance to everything in the main part of Sorrento. All of Sorrento is up on a cliff so nowhere is 'close to the beach' and in fact, there is very little beach in Sorrento.

https://www.ulissedeluxe.com/
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 10:24 AM

Few rooms in Sorrento have sea views - it being on a cliff and tall buildings obscuring most views but there are many too so for a view look around.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 10:50 AM

We stayed at Hotel Corallo in St. Agnello, and LOVED it!
https://www.hotelcorallosorrento.com/

About a 15-20 min. walk to Sorrento, which we did every day. The staff was friendly, helpful and the rooms were lovely. Our son had a corner room with terrace, which was large and spectacular. We thought the breakfasts were large and varied, and the nights we at there, we enjoyed our food.

There were weddings being held most nights (we stayed in summer), and sometimes fireworks at night.
The views were splendid.

We walked to the ferry one day in Sorrento, and made a trip to Capri, which I believe took about an hour. Another day, we took the train (a rickety one!) to Pompeii, also about an hour or so. And two days, it was very hot, so we stayed local, and swam at the beach, below the hotel.

I would not hesitate to stay there again. But, it seemed like there were lovely cliffside hotels right in Sorrento, which might suit you better. There are some lovely artisan shops in Sorrento, too, if you like original pieces of art.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 11:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
For that budget, you can probably get interconnecting rooms, a suite or a 2 bedroomed apartment.

I had a quick look for a week in July and there is still a lot of choice of hotels with pools and 4 bedded rooms if that's what you want.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 11:35 AM

Try Hotel Bristol. Not sure what their summer rates are as we stayed in May. I think it was the best view of any hotel we have ever stayed, just gorgeous. They do have a variety of rooms, as the standard rooms are sold to tour operators, and are on the lower floors closer to the road. We had a superior room, but I think they may have upgraded us, as the room was huge, very nicely decorated, with two balconies, on a higher floor. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

It's an easy walk down the hill to town.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 04:55 PM

My husband and I stayed here: La Grand Hotel Favorita.
It is in Sorrento itself, so easy walking distance to everything.
There is a roof top pool with great views. Breakfast is delicious.
We were upgraded and had 2 balconies. one had a small sea view.. it was perfect for us.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 09:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In your other thread, I recommended Imperial Hotel Tramontano.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 10:50 PM

Hotel Minerva, up on Via Capo, great views, lovely pool, gorgeous terrace with wonderful views. You need to call asap because rooms with great views get booked way ahead.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 05:39 AM

Have you considered airbnb, condo with pool and sea views? I think you will find several for a lot less than your budget.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 06:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Try Hotel Bristol. Not sure what their summer rates are as we stayed in May. I think it was the best view of any hotel we have ever stayed, just gorgeous.>>

My late husband and I stayed there on our first trip abroad together.

I have very fond memories of it.