Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where did you stay in Sorrento or town in same area and why?

Old Jan 14th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to hear where you stayed in Sorrentolot in a town close by and why you chose this area/place. Did you have restaurants close by? Did you walk and explore in the evenings? How was the view etc...
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Oh sorry, it should read 'sorrento' oops new iPad
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 02:21 PM

We went this year (you can check my trip report), and personally did not like Sorrento. Too touristy to our taste. We stayed in Vico Equense, a few train stops before Sorrento, and were glad we made that decision. I guess it depends what you are looking for.

Vico has excellent transportation (closer to Pompei than Sorrento), regular train service, the best pizza we ate in Italy EVER, fantastic gelato and great people. There is a little shop where we bought the most delicious prosciutto, ricotta di buffala and the owner gave us every day figs from his garden. Heaven!

We stayed in an apartment, but we met a woman there who owns a great B&B: http://www.domusaequana.it/
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 02:23 PM

And the view is heavenly. Taking a dip in the sea, just in front of the Vesuvius, is unforgettable! Pictures here : http://jojomart.shutterfly.com/49
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed at Palazzo Starace, in Sorrento, for 6 nights. This was about 10 years ago. We had a large room with small bathroom and a little balcony, it was right in the middle of town so very central for shops and restaurants. Breakfast was a croissant and coffee at a bar across the road.

We chose Sorrento as we wanted to be central for places along the coast. The train goes to Pompeii and Naples and the bus to Positano, Amalfi, Ravello etc. The ferry goes to Capri. We did a day trip nearly every day, managing quite well with our very basic Italian.

We really liked Sorrento and would go back but it was early March when we did this particular trip so it was fairly quiet. Weather was mild and sunny with a tiny bit of rain.

Kay
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 03:04 PM

We stayed in Sorrento 2 years ago at the Antiche Mura, which we liked very much. It is not a view hotel, but had lovely gardens with the ubiquitous lemon trees (the air is unbelievably fragrant)-we had a garden room, very large with a lovely large beautifully tiled bathroom. Centrally located, within easy walking distance of the train station (made an easy day trip to Pompeii), bus stop, town with its many restaurants- shops-etc. We walked into town every night for dinner and to stroll, in that wonderful Italian way. Wonderful breakfasts (included). We're hoping to return to that part of Italy within the next year or two and would stay there again in a heartbeat. We loved Sorrento (we were there in late April and the weather was sunny and warm but not hot)- but haven't been any further down the Amalfi coast (yet).
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 03:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed at the Hilton... it was free using points. Had a room on the top floor (floor below the Executive Lounge) with a large balcony and an amazing view of Vesuvius and the Bay. The Exec Lounge was being remodeled so they gave me unlimited free drinks and appetizers at the bar. And a free full breakfast each morning. So, yes, I'd stay there again!

I enjoyed Sorrento very much. Very convenient to Pompeii, Capri and the Amalfi Coast. More restaurant choices than other towns in the area.

I was there late Sept - early Oct, 2009. Weather was gorgeous... even a bit too hot.

Walking down the hill to town and back up a couple of times a day, gave me a chance to burn off some of those calories! I ate at different restaurants in town every night for the 5 nights that I was there.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 04:10 PM

We stayed at the Bellevue Syrene in Sorrento, in fact hanging out over the cliff and the Gulf of Naples. Though in town and walkable to everything, the hotel felt quiet. Our room had a view of the gulf and a balcony. There was swimming from piers at the foot of the cliff (reachable by an elevator).

I liked Sorrento. I think it a pretty town, with good transportation connections to Capri, Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 05:33 PM

Stayed at the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria - while central it had gardens between the street and hotel buildings, which made it lovely and quiet.

My only beef with the hotel was the "bouncer" at the entrance gate who quite rudely demanded to see our booking confirmation. Seemed to think we were underdressed in our (designer) jeans and wheeled bags.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 05:44 PM

We've stayed in 2 hotels in Sorrento (La Tonarella, which I don't recommend, and Antiche Mura, which I do). Our favorite hotel was in Sorrento Sant'Agnello - Hotel Villa Garden. A lovely hotel in an old mansion with gorgeous views and a nice pool area. It was about a 30 minute walk to central Sorrento but the town also has its own Circumvesuviana stop, so you could take the train. There was also a bus that stopped a block from the hotel that took you to central Sorrento (Piazza Tasso). We liked Sant'Agnello as it was much quieter than Sorrento proper... but still very, very close to the amenities and connections that Sorrento offers.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 05:50 PM

Yes, we stay in the center of Sorrento to have easy access to the shops, restaurants and pier for the ferry and hydrofoils to Capri and down the coast. We love the Excelsior Grand Vittoria since it has beautiful private grounds with pool, views out over the bay of Naples via terrace, balcony and windows as well as a private elevator from the cliff-top location down to the pier.

We have gone in late May - and both times been able to get nicely discounted rates since it wasn;t full summer season yet.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 05:51 PM

Yes, we stay in the center of Sorrento to have easy access to the shops, restaurants and pier for the ferry and hydrofoils to Capri and down the coast. We love the Excelsior Grand Vittoria since it has beautiful private grounds with pool, views out over the bay of Naples via terrace, balcony and windows as well as a private elevator from the cliff-top location down to the pier.

We have gone in late May - and both times been able to get nicely discounted rates since it wasn;t full summer season yet.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Love this sort of feedback. I will look at all the suggestions in detail.... Keep them coming
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Tramontano several years ago, which is about a block closer to the old town than Bellevue Syrene. We liked the hotel and the old town, but thought it didn't compare well to the beauty or flavor of some of the Amalfi Coast towns, esp. Positano. Maybe it was the tour buses that pulled up every day in the center of town, or the ubiquitous Fish N Chip shops, but to us it seemed even more touristy than other places that we visited.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Jojonana - love the pics, loooks beautiful
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 08:51 PM

Like Jojonana, I found Sorrento too touristy for my tastes; I later did a day trip to Naples and regretted not staying there instead as a base for Pompeii.

I stayed at the Hotel del Mare down at Marina Grande (the marina area) which is a good 10-15 minute walk from the center of Sorrento - an OK walk but nothing amazing; there's also a bus if you can catch it. It was in some ways more interesting than the center of town - some boats, a couple of restaurants, and pretty at night:

http://www.portlandbridges.com/00,5D...1,0-italy.html