Amalfi/Sorrento..when in spring?

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi/Sorrento..when in spring?

I am planning a week-long trip (Sunday to Sunday) to the Amalfi coast next spring. Playing around with various combinations right now but will probably choose to split the time between Sorrento and Amalfi with a possible day or two in Naples at the end of the week (and a less likely stop in or near Cilento peninsula at the beginning)

We are looking at mid-April or early May and I am wondering if there is any appreciable difference between, let's say, mid-April and the first week in May. Fewer crowds (and possibly lower hotels rates) make the earlier week sound more appealing; is there anything else I should consider in choosing a particular week? (Might more ferries be running during the later time frame?) April 25 is Liberation Day and I am assuming this means a three-day weekend so will avoid that week.

On the subject of hotels, I have just about decided upon the Luna Convento in Amalfi, but Villa Lara might be a contender. Any recent reports on these two?

In Sorrento, where I plan two nights to allow a day trip to Pompeii, the Tramontana and the Bellevue Syrene seem appealing..any opinions on these two or others, hopefully under 300 E. a night double? We will not care about a pool in Sorrento..

This will not be my first time to the area but it has been years since my last visit so will appreciate any and all comments..
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 01:12 PM

ekscrunchy,

One of my friends just returned from HOTEL MEDITERRANEO in Sorrento and loved it. She said that the rooms were pretty large with nice views, and that the breakfast ( I think included) was outstanding. She also liked the price, which was cheaper than either BELLEVUE SYRENE or HOTEL TRAMONTANO ( which is where I've stayed).

I also realized that I forgot to mention HOTEL BRISTOL. It's only about a ten minute walk from the center of town, and again, would be somewhat cheaper than either BELLEVUE SYRENE or the TRAMONTANO.

Have a great time in Sorrento!~
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Weadles, thanks..I just took a quick look at the TA reports on the Mediterraneo and it looks fantastic..will now check prices for that and take a look at the Bristol, which is very highly reviewed on the TA site...

You have been very helpful to me with the advance planning of this trip and I thank you again..
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Weadles, one more question: I just noticed that the Hotel Mediterraneo is in Sant Agnello di Sorrento..how far by walking is this from Sorrento? I fear that I may have to rule it out if it is not an easy walk from Sorrento itself...those rates ( 170 twin sea view; 200 superior twin) sounded almost too good to be true!
Many thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:00 PM

We've been in mid May several times. The weather was always beautiful - apart from one or 2 showers. It was warm enough to swim in the hotel pool - and it was still uncrowded enough that we got very good rate discounts at our favorite hotel.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:49 PM

ekscrunchy,

My friends say that the hotel IS walking distance to the center of town, but I would check with the hotel iself. Good luck!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:14 PM

st Agnello is within walking distance but it is not very close. The hotel doesn't seem to be right on the water, check out mappy.com, click hotels and zoom into the area.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:08 AM

Have you checked when Easter is next year ? 2 considerations - 1) more crowds & possibly more expensive accommodation, 2) some hotels don't open until Easter. Anyway I'd go in May, in the hope of warmer weather.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:41 AM

The Mediterraneo is in Sant Agnello which, for us, was about a 20 minute or so walk to the center of town. We stayed in a villa apartment a very short distance away from the Mediterraneo. The Mediterraneo is near the Cocumella and the Parco dei Principi. The hotel has the same views as those hotels. There is a bus stop nearby to take you into Sorrento. The hotel is close to the sea - across the small street from a lovely park area right on the sea with a cafe. Beautiful views of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvious!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:43 AM

Actually, I think that the Mediterraneo has better views than the Cocumella which is set further back from the sea. The Parco is right on the cliffs above the sea.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Easter is March 23; that was the first date I checked. I do not think I would wait until mid-May, but might go the first week of the month...

Although the Mediterraneo looks great, I am thinking that it might be too far from restaurants, shops, etc. I think we will only spend 2 nights in Sorrento, in order to devote one day to the trip to Pompeii, so I might like to be closer to the center of activity. Does that make sense, or is there a good choice of eating places around Sant Agnello?

So I will leave it a possibility. Of the others I mentioned, do any of you experts have any other comments...? (Tramontana, Syrene, Bristol...)

Have any of you been there in mid-late April?
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Can one of the experts here explain Sant' Agnello in relation to Sorrento..?? Is it an area of the city? Does it have its own ferry dock? Are there good rstaurants in the vicinity? Many thanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Hello ekscrunchy, since you are staying 2 nights (have you been there before?), I would recommend staying closer to Sorrento itself. We have also stayed at the Bellevue Syrene which was very nice and minutes away from shops, restaurants, etc. We were a bit disappointed in our room at the Bellevue Syrene since it wasn't one of those elegant ones shown on the website. It was more modern and sleek with a small terrace with Bay views but with a quirky door which could not be opened if closed and you were out on the terrace. I got stuck out there and boy, was that sun hot (it was July). My sister stayed next door at the Tramontano and had a small, lovely room but without a Bay view. I think the Syrene is a step up from the Tramontano, but it does depend on the room you reserve. Both hotels have the same Bay views and are the same distance from the center of Sorrento (Piazza Tasso) - maybe 5 or 10 minutes away. My report must still be out there somewhere.

Sant Agnello is on the outskirts of Sorrento. You would have to go to Sorrento for the ferry. There are several restaurants and pizza places close to the Mediterraneo but we either cooked in the apartment or went to Massa Lubrense for dinner so I can't advise you on that.

Our first trip to Italy was in April of 1998. It was not as crowded as it is in July which is when we have visited quite a few times after that first trip.

Hope this has helped a little in making your decision. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:01 PM

in sorrento, stay at sentimocello hotel. it is right on the cliff, and inexpensive.ask for a balcony room.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Bacci111, I have heard of that hotel here before but could you check the spelling you gave?
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Found it - Hotel Settimo Cielo.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Highly recommend Hot Parsifal in Ravello - and a much better town than Amalfi, Positano, ...
M
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Positano is amazing. I highly recommend spending time there. We stayed at the Hotel Pasitea in Positano. 3 star hotel, moderately priced, great location and beautiful views. We went in mid April - the weather wasn't warm enough to enjoy the beach, but we enjoyed the lack of tourists!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:44 PM

Definitely recommend the Hotel Mediterraneo, large rooms, breakfast has large selection. Staff service wonderful, and you must take their elevator thru the cliffs down to the Mediterranean Sea, what an experience. It is a little away from center Sorrento, but cab fares were not more than 5-7 euro. walk about 20 minutes
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:13 PM
SAB

May 1 is also a holiday so there will be lots of Italians taking a long weekend in Sorrento--there were last year. Not as crowded as summer probably, but very busy with lots and lots of Vespas on the road. Weather in late April was quite lovely, actually very warm during the last week on April last year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -