Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sorrento Hotel: Antiche Mura or Bellevue Syrene

Feb 14th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Rome and Sorrento. I am planning on 5-6 nights in Sorrento and using it as a base for day trips. I have narrowed my hotel choices down to Antiche Mura and Bellevue Syrene. Bellevue Syrene would be my first choice but it is significantly more money and I'm wondering if it is worth the splurge. I know it is on the water which is a big plus but perhaps not enough of a reason to pay twice as much money. Interested in feedback from people familiar with both properties.
Feb 14th, 2011, 06:38 AM

We chose the Antiche Mura and liked it, but I was not about to pay the difference. With that much time, look at some of the nice apts. in Sorrento at www.summerinitaly.com Ther are several near the Bellevue.
Feb 14th, 2011, 12:08 PM

We stayed at the Antiche Mura and liked the hotel a lot. Very close to the center of town. If you are taking the train to Sorrneto, it is so easy with luggage to disembark the train and walk down a grade on the left, to the hotel. Perhaps a few hundrad yards. Richard
Feb 15th, 2011, 10:44 AM

Hi,

from a local let me suggest you that there few hotels with same plus but not killing ur bank account..please consider hotel europa palace (4 star upscale where good sea view deals might be available) and as plus a private beach and right in the city center just 2 minutes off the railway station..anyway antiche mura has an excellent reputation too ...

if u need more useful tips from a Sorrento insider ;-) let me know
ciao e buon viaggio
Feb 15th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow up. I am still struggling with whether it is smart to stay in Sorrento as opposed to Positano or even splitting it up - 3 nites in each town. I've read the many opinions on this topic and it seems to be split so I guess it is more an issue of personal choice rather than right or wrong. I do welcome thoughts and opinions though from those who have stayed or visited both.
Feb 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM

We stayed at the Antiche Mura last April and loved it- had a garden room which was enormous, along with an enormous bath, all beautifully tiled in Deruta type ceramics. To get to our room we walked through a small lemon orchard adjacent to the pool (too cold when we were there to swim)- so wonderfully fragrant (as was Sorrento in general). The breakfast was the best one out of all the hotels we stayed at in Italy for 3 weeks- wonderful coffee made to your order, fresh oj, lovely fruit, great pastries, etc. And the staff was very accomodating.Great location as well.
We loved Sorrento (didn't get further south along the Amalfi Coast) and hope to return in a year or 2. Wonderful place for wandering the lanes, great restaurants and gelaterias, shopping. Lucky you!
Feb 16th, 2011, 12:24 AM

Hi,
if you'd consider that Bellevue Syrene is the only 5 stars in Sorrento with a private beach, free snacks and drinks throughout the day and a very useful lift to reach the port in 5 minutes.
Well this is the top of this area, so probably each cent will be very well spent...
Have a look to these wonderful pictures:
http://www.bellevue.it/fotogallery.php?lng=en
Feb 16th, 2011, 04:30 AM

Hi,

it's a matter of budget...in which period are you coming??? Positano is a the most amazing place on the Amalfi coast (up to me)..is very very expensive (except u find great hotel deals) atmosphere changes completely from Sorrento to Positano...Sorrento is a kind of turistic place (good place to visit all surrondigs i.e. Capri,Pompei, Naples , Amalfi coasr) , families and couples , mainly hectic during evenings ( of course some hidden and cosy spots are available too ;-)..Positano is cozy and something magic is always in the air..having dinner for 2 down at Fornillo's beach IS PRICELESS...but consider walking down and up from its narrow lanes
and its steps...both places are unique..

I'm a local so these are my personal opinions ..we are lucky to live here ;-)

feel free to ask if u r still not sure...

ciao ciao
Feb 16th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

This is definitely a "good" problem to have and I realize there are no bad choices here. I love doing all the research which is why I am planning now for early May 2012. I am hoping to secure two business ff seats this June so even though I have lots of time to figure out hotels, the dates and number of days are more important right now.

Is it too much to break up the time between Sorrento and Positano (3 nites each) and better to pick one place and day trip? I usually find the packing and moving kills the day but maybe for this trip it's worth it. I will also be spending 3 nites (unless you tell me that is not enough and then I would have to take a nite off Sorrento)in Rome at the end since my flight back to US is early am.
Feb 16th, 2011, 07:38 AM

Dear Jeangail,

do not be afraid....any decision u will make will be right..of course Sorrento is a good base according to budget saving..but if you want to be spoiled go for Positano...please note that connections are good between Positano and Sorrento either by bus (Sita bus ..downs bends and overcrowed) by hydrofoil takes 20 min roughly ...

go for it..and agree with u on spending a night in Rome (choose an hotel near airport in order to void annoying traffic jam on GRA (grande raccordo anulare) motorway ...

ciao ciao
Feb 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

sun sea:

My plan is to spend 3 nites in Rome after Sorrento and/or Positano because I've never been. I would have done it first to save the relaxing part of the trip for last, but since I need to be in Rome the nite before I go home, it makes sense to do my whole Rome portion at the end. I know 3 nites is probably not enough but we'll use our time there wisely. Any good hotel suggestions for Rome? Since time is limited I want a great location right in the heart of things.
Feb 16th, 2011, 09:15 AM

dear Jeangail

in Rome I know because I've been there Hotel Flora (marriot on Via Veneto ..GOOOD but quite expensive but excellent location it felt sooo dolce vita style) and another is Crowne pLAZA Saint Peter (good and an excellent spa)...those are mine suggestion...

if you need any extra suggestions I will be more than pleased to offer...

ciao ciao