Sorrento and Amalfi Coast transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. My husband and I will be in Italy in September. We have 5 nights to spend in Sorrento and along the Amalfi Coast. At this point, we think we'll book a hotel in Sorrento for the entire time and then do day trips from there. I'd love to hear feedback on this.
Also, can someone please tell me a little about the SITA trains that run from Sorrento to Amalfi? Specifically, are they reliable? Is there an unlimited day pass that can be purchased? How long do the rides take to get from say Sorrento to Positano and then from Sorrento to Amalfi? If our hotel is in Sorrento, will we be spending too much of our days on buses to get to the other towns? Is there another way to get from Sorrento to Positano that might be easier?
Thanks for the help!!!
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM

I would stay on Amalfi if that where all your daytrips will be.

Personally I dont like Sorrento. Too may vespas with no respect for anyone. I have been twice and probably wont go again.

I do love Positano. I would stay there again.

I have driven the Amalfi twice and found that if you go slow and easy that you will be fine. There are crazy drivers there too but not as in Sorrento.

My niece stayed in Amalfi and really enjoyed it.

There is a place over by Sorrento called Nerano that I LOVE.
It is a little fishing village that couldnt be quainter.
Laid back and very scenic.
A daytrip there would be awesome IMO.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 06:01 AM

You an travel between Sorrento and Positano in September by bus or ferry. There are no SITA trains. The buses are reliable. Currently there is a road closure due to rain damage, but this should be repaired by September..you can ask for more information on this subject here, or look at TripAdvisor.

I would spend the time based in Amalfi rather than Sorrento. I think the town is more pleasant and you will be closer to place of interest such as Positano, Ravello, etc.

Bus schedule (English code at bottom):

http://www.amalficoastweb.com/orari_...imetables.html
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 06:03 AM

We LOVED this moderately priced hotel in Amalfi:

http://www.hotelfloridiana.it/
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 06:44 AM

I agree with the other posters. Unless you're traveling with kids, Positano or Amalfi would be a better choice.Sorrento is the base for lots of tour packages, and it, IMHO, feels less Italian than the other two cities. I prefer Positano over Amalfi despite the tourists because it's less gritty ( some would say less "real") and more dramatically beautiful.

Definitely take the boat between destinations when you can. The buses can be extremely overcrowded, although maybe in September that's less of an issue.

Boat time between Sorrento and Positano is about 45 minutes; between Positano and Amalfi about 20 minutes. Sorrento to Capri is about 20+ minutes by hydrofoil, a little more by regular ferry service.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 07:16 AM

We have stayed in Sorrento about 20 times and do love it. Positano is beautiful but mobbed with tourists and tat. Amalfi would be our second choice as a base. "Arrive in Sorrento as a tourist and leave as a friend" certainly applies to us.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:34 AM

Sorrento is best for general touring - Naples, Pompeii, ferries to Capri and also down the coast. If you want to just stick to a couple of the small towns on the coast then that's where I would stay.

There is no train past Sorrento. From there you take either the bus (as reliable as traffic on a very narrow 2 lane road allows it to be) or ferry.

We have been a couple of times and stayed in Sorrento because

1) we prefer a larger town with more restaurant choices
2) we do things beyond the coast - and always have a car with us so we're not stuck waiting for buses or boats (except to Capri naturally)
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:55 AM

I think Sorrent would be the best place to stay at as starting point for all the excurssions.Also sorrent has a lot of nice shops, good restaurants and nice bars...
You could take a ferry to Capri and Ischia (I've seen only the first one- verry nice. A guide could be a good idea for that excursion)the other excursions I would not miss in the area are: Pompeii and the Amalfi coast
There is no Sita-train, but sita busses toi the Amalfi coast - but they are usually full ( and not in time) and it can happen that they won't stop to take you- so you would have to wait a long, long time for the next one...
I would recommend to take a private driver for that Excursion. The streets are small, the drivers crazy and with a private driver you can relax and stay safe and comfortable - naturally he can tell you a bit about the area(I've used sorrentotopcar- Giuseppe and can say that it was a good choice).