Siobhan/Dublin folks

Search

Siobhan/Dublin folks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siobhan/Dublin folks

One of my 2 friends coming to Ireland with me is a computer type instructor...she's made contact with an instructor from Blanchardstown and is planning on sitting in on one of his classes-she's really excited about gathering information on Irish Education.
So, what do you know about Blanchardstown?
I see on the map that its just outside of Dublin.....
I am not renting a car until we leave Dublin so would we take a bus to get there or?
While she is having her meeting is there anything my other friend and I can do? (She mentioned a shopping center?)

Any information would be great!!

Thanks,
Shadow
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 12:50 AM

Hi Shadow, Blanchardstown is reacvhable by bus and not far out but takes a while with the bus route as it goes all over the place. Blanchardstown is a urban suburb is how the best way to describe it. There is a main toen centre and its surrounded mby the Motorway and shopping centre and a few industrial parks. Tell me the location of this school and I wil check the bus routes for you from the city. Also there are bus routes that drop at the Blanchardstown shopping centre and you can amuse yourselves for a while there. It also has a cinema. Don't bother renting a car for this its accessible by public transport.

Just let me know the area of Blanchardstown she is going to and I will drop a note here.

If she wante to know more about Irish Education she should also bvisit one of the larger universities like UCD and Trinity and some medium sized like Portabello and Griffiths (the last 2 are private universities). I think I may kinow the one ion Blanchardstown.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:37 AM

Shadow

The number 39 bus goes to Blanchardstown from Dublin city centre (departs Hawkins Street, close to Trinity College). It should take about 40 minutes, but may be longer if traffic is heavier as it travels down the quays in Dublin, which do get congested. Make sure you have change for the bus!!!

It sounds like your friend will be at Blanchardstown Institute of Technology -the shopping center is maybe 500 meters or so from it, so within walking distance. It's a combination of an open air retail park (DIY, Computer stores)and an enclosed mall.

Old Sep 24th, 2005, 01:31 AM

Blanchards town is quite a big suburb in Dublin, yes there are buses that go there from the City Centre, but as siobhan said, it may take a while to reach your destination. Blanchardstown Shopping Centre" !! is ok, lots of shops a few coffee shops, there are worse ways to spend a few hours. There isnt much else to do in Blanchardstown, as its just a sprawling suburb, with rows and rows of houses. There is a national aquatic centre there if you fancy a swim..web address is http://www.nac.ie/location.htm

Institute of technology web address http://www.itb.ie/site/itbinformatio...chardstown.htm

The Blanchardstown Centre is a large moder mall situated in the North Western suburbs, connected to Dublin city centre by a frequent bus service.

The centre has a huge range of shops, several eating establishments, a multi-screen cinema, and adjoins another retail park.

To get to The Blanchardstown centre, take route 39 from Hawkins Street (beside the Screen cinema), this bus runs every few minutes, and drops you off right at the enterence to the centre.

Here is a bus timetable for Blanchardstown area
http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey...&area_id=1

I hope you enjoy your stay
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We are now wondering how far The Institute of Technology is from Kilronan House (where we are staying) on Adelaide Road. Or, how much do you think a taxi would cost from Kilronan House to the Inst. of Technology?
Thanks,
Shadow
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:02 AM

Too far...you are taling city centre to suburbs that are on the way to the countryside. Depending on the time of day a taxi price will vary. I say approx 20-25 euro daytime. There is a taxi rank at the shopping centre so getting a taxi home is no problem. If its rush hour forget it as it could cost a fortune.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Siobhan-thanks for the info.....so, the bus will be the least expensive way to go.
We leave in 6 days..lots of details to finalize before we leave as plans have been changing! ugh)

Shadow
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 02:00 PM
CU

Enjoy your stay. Have a look at www.visitdublin.com
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

CU-thanks! I am really looking forward to immersing myself in Dublin before heading to Roscommon.
Shadow