dublin area expert needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are trying decide between a BnB in Clontarf and one in Santry.we don't know anything about either area. which ,in your opinion is a better location as far as ease of travel into downtown Dublin, which is safer,offers more cvonveniences etc,
thanks
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM

They are about equal on your criteria. Clontarf is generally nicer.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:24 AM

Clontarf is my preference. Santry is not a pretty place in my opinion and the bus is worse than Clontarf. Also you xccan get th dart from clontarf/Klllester. There is a nice foorpath along the seafront in clontarf as well. Its just easier I think and a nicer looking neighborhood.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:45 AM

I'd agree with Clontarf. The only reason I might opt for Santry is if you're staying for a short visit and flying - Santry is much nearer the airport.

However, for ease of access Clontarf is better (assuming the accommodation is near the bus or DART).

Peter

http://www.hidden-dublin.com/
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

well i guess that makes it unanimous.is clontarf a town or a section of dublin,what i mean is ,are there nearby restaurants ,pubs ,etc? i guess my point of reference is Philadelphia where different sections of the city aren't necessarily suited to any form of evening entertainment.we are 3 couples ages 56-65
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:22 AM

Clontarf is a suburb rather than a separate town -- 2-3 miles from the city centre. You will get an impression of how the middle class in Dublin live. It has pubs, shops, parks, and restaurants, but not a complete town centre.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:48 AM

Its quite a wealthy area these days (Blow ins buying uo houses )

Some food choices:
Hemmingways - Vernon ave - Seafood

Sand Bar - Clontarf/vernon corner. Pizza/pasta cafe not expensive

Picassos - Vernon ave across from Hemmingways - Italian but I think its a rip off in Price.

Clontaft castle Hotel - Nice bar and good bar food. Carvery weekends and uomarket restaurant upstairs. Recently tarted up and its nice.

Kinara is fantastic Indian food on Clontarf Road may need a taxi up this far depending where you stay.

here is a listing of these and more with websites http://www.dublintourist.com/directo...city/clontarf/

Bars - The Yacht - Clontarf Road (I have not been here in Years)

The sheds Clontaft road corner of Vernon and clontarf - Kinda smelly old mans bar

Clontarf castle - Lovely bar

Clontarf Court hotel bar - its really a pub at the bfront of the hotel...hotel i a bit of a kip bar is fine and the Chinese Hin Keng is supposed to be really good.

Harry Byrnes - Howth Road. This is a great little pub and nice beer garden. I would go here ot the castle if I am in the area.

Enjoy!