Dublin Airport to City Center

Aug 25th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Dublin Airport to City Center

Has anyone used the bus to travel from the Dublin Airport to the city center?
If you have please, give me a few details, like where do you find it? How often does it run during the day? How convenient is it to use?
I know I could take a taxi, but usually the mass transit means is much, much cheaper.
Aug 25th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Topping for Bob, since I'd like to know, as well.
Aug 25th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Ardfert

See www.dublinbus.ie for the cheapest routes.A more expensive option is www.aircoach.ie especially if you want to go to the southside

Aug 25th, 2003, 02:23 PM

Bob - just in case no one else answers, here's the website for Dublin bus and specifically for the airport route:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey...t+%28Dublin%29

The 16A goes right across the city and travels through O'Connell street where you can pick up a bus in the area that will bring you to most areas on the South side. When I worked at Dublin airport, many moons ago, it stopped just outside the terminal and it should be easy to find. Its a regular service, so it stops about 50 times before it reaches O'Connell street - you get to see a LOT of North Dublin.

There also used to be a direct bus that stopped at Busaras - the main bus terminal, which near the Customs House on the quays.

Where is your final destination? I can ask my sister to get you the route numbers.

Have fun in Dublin!

regards .. Ger
Aug 25th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Sorry, Bob, I forgot to mention, that there are several buses listed at the top of that page that also sevice the airport. Your best choice will depend on your final destination. Just make sure that you don't take the ones that go in the opposite direction to town!
Aug 25th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

I am going to Jury's Tara, which I understand is on the south side of town, slightly east of center.
Aug 25th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

One of the Aircoach routes goes to Merrion Road. The hotel is on Merrion road. I emailed the bus company and asked them how close the bus gets.
I don't think it can be a long distance.
We have hauled our luggage around other cities for various distances, so I think this one is manageable.
Aug 25th, 2003, 04:17 PM

Bob: Is that Jurys out on the Merrion Road near the University College Dublin Campus? If so, the reason I ask is that it is quite a way out of the city centre but you CAN do it by public transportation, if you don't mind schlepping the luggage along O'Connell street.

The reason I am confused is that one website claimed that its in Ballsbridge (there IS a Jurys in Ballsbridge, but it is NOT the Tara) and their own website shows it opposite UCD.

I'd be inclined to hop in a taxi in O'Connell St. to get the hotel. If it is where I think it is, it might actually be easier for you to take a taxi from the airport. The M50 Links the airport with south Dublin and their might be an exit close to the hotel.

If you confirm the location and phone number of the hotel, I'll ask my sister's opinon on the best option (taxi or bus) and to confirm the bus number and location from the city centre to the hotel.

regards ... Ger

Our posts crossed Bob while I was editing. Merrion Road is a LOONNGG road. If the bus company don't respond, the offer stands about contacting my sister.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. As best I can tell from the map, there is a red star where Anglesea Road intersects with Merion Road.
Ballsridge Park Rd. shows to the right of Anglesea Road and the red star for the location of the hotel is to the right.

I suppose if I want a taxi from the town area, I should get off at a hotel.
How is Dublin for hailing a cab on the street compared with NYC.

In Paris, you either call one or goto a cab stand has been my experience.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:32 PM

Bob:

This is the reason I was confused. There are several (perhaps 7) Jurys hotels in Dublin.

You originally said that you are staying in the Jurys TARA on Merrion Rd. From the Jury's website, this is the Jury TARA. It is out in the suburbs, opposite the UCD campus.
http://www.jurys-hotel.ie/ireland/doyle_tara.htm

The Jurys you mentioned in your last post, at Anglesea Rd (close to the American Embassy) is a 5-star hotel in Ballsbridge:
http://www.jurys-hotel.ie/frireland_index.htm

They are miles apart in terms of both distance and price.

Can you check the phone number you have for the hotel, it will tell you which one you are staying at.

Sorry for my interference, I just want to make sure you arrive at the correct hotel

regards ... Ger

Aug 25th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

OOPS The red star for the hotel location is to the LEFT of where Anglesea Road meets Merion Road.

The scale on the map indicates that is is less than 500 yards between the two.

I cannot find a street number for the hotel. All that I find says Merion Road, and nothing else.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:38 PM

Bob - our posts just crossed. Please read my last note!
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you are right. I was at a Tara website and clicked on the map link that was embedded in the site, and that is where it took me!! Wrong location.

That hotel is way the hell and gone out from the city center. I cannot believe that is less than 3 miles, which is what the propaganda says!!
It looks more like 6 miles to me.

I think somebody is lying to me about location.

I got into this mess when I booked with Insight Vacations. I am going to post the sordid details later. Can I get from that boondocks location into downtown Dublin in less than half an hour?

The phone number I have is 353-1-269 4666

Aug 25th, 2003, 07:27 PM

Bob:

You are definitely in the Tara, based on the phone number.

I?ll give you my opinion, based on what I remember. I was born and raised in Dublin, but have lived in Canada for several years, so my sense of distance and time is dated. Again, I can ask my sister to confirm or refute anything I say here.

Positives: It is a nice area, opposite the university. Therefore you will have frequent bus service into the city centre, which takes about 30 mins, unless it is at the height of rush hour. The area is considerably cheaper for hotels than others closer to the centre.

Negatives: It is not 2 miles from the centre and I doubt it is 6 miles. It is certainly NOT within walking distance of the city centre , even for the very fittest. It is the suburbs and, if you intend to spend most of your time IN Dublin city, then you?ll also spend a lot of time on buses or money for taxis (BTW, taxis in Dublin on a weekend night can be as rare as hens teeth). Traffic in Dublin is awful, particularly during rush hour, so I may be completely wrong about the 30 mins. Hotels in this area are often used by tour groups with buses. I have not been in the area since I was at the university, so the only pub in the area I can recommend is the student?s pub on Campus .

I don?t know what your plans are for this trip. If you have a week in Dublin and intend to drive to the country, it?s a good option. If you are spending three days in Dublin and want to see the city, this hotel is not ideal, but not disastrous, by any means.

I am so sorry that you were misinformed about the location of the hotel. Would it be possible to change or cancel the booking?

Regards ? Ger
Aug 26th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

I signed up for a tour of Ireland with Insight Vacations. It subtly shifted the tour hotel in Dublin from the Camden Court to the Tara without really telling us.
Then, the word was that it was 2 miles from the city center, which is an out and out lie.

The management also switched tours from a first class one to s super saver.
Between my travel agent and Insight the information dribbled out and it was not until I received the final trip plan that I realized the extent of the switch.

We will be in Dublin a total of 3 nights.
The major problem will be getting to the hotel from the airport and in getting from the hotel to Connolly Station when we freelance a trip to Sligo.

I tried to get out of the whole tour, bbut Insight refused to give me a refund, saying I was too close to the tour date.
I think they are a bunch of frauds who lie with out restraint. After the tour was changed, the representatives of the firm refused to talk to me. I was told I had to talk to my travel agent. By the time I asked her, she asked them, they told her and she told me, it was a very vague and garbled response.

So never book with Insight.

Safe to say I will never, ever book another tour with Insight and I will tell this story over and over to my friends and this travel forum.
Aug 27th, 2003, 01:05 AM

Back to the original question: AirLink is the name of the (private) bus that operates between O'Connell Street (near Abbey St.) and Dublin airport. It's a double decker yellow bus. Just look for the AirLink bus stop. It operates about every 20-min during the day.

I think it cost something like 4.50 Euro
Aug 27th, 2003, 02:12 AM

Get the Aircoach (www.aircoach.ie) from Dublin Airport. It will leave you directly outside your hotel (Leopardstown Route) - in their map on their webpage the hotel is called by the old name, the Montrose Hotel. The Aircoach is a big blue bus which leaves from outside Arrivals in the Airport. Return fare is €10 and single fare is €6 - much cheaper than a taxi. Although you are a bit outside the city, the brilliantly reliable 46A bus service (one of the few routes that you can rely on in Dublin) leaves from outside your hotel also and should get you into the city centre in less than 30 mins, even during rushhour. You are within walking distance of Booterstown, beside the sea, which has a couple of nice pubs, and the campus of University College Dublin, which is nice for walking although I don't recommend the student bar unless you're fond of the company of drunken students! Hope this helps
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

For Nedsireland
Are you sure your information is correct? I don't think it is.

I do NOT think we are talking about the same hotel. The Tara Towers, formerly Jury;s Tara, is on Merrion Road.
I talked with the hotel and verified that fact. The #7 bus is the one the receptionist told me about.
There was / is a Jury's Montrose, but it does not seem to be the same.

The Montrose is shown as being on Still Organ Road. That does not sound the same. I wish you would verify your facts and get back with me.
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

OOPS Ter 2000 is the intended poster. Read the wrong header.
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

I called the bus company, Aircoach, and the young lady I spoke with suggested taking the aircoach bus to the Toyota Center south and east of Dublin.
From there take a taxi.
She said that there would be no trouble finding a taxi cruising the streets.

Any of you Dublin types have an opinion on that method of getting to the hotel?

Being a total stranger to Dublin, I am still a little apprehensive.

Search this Thread