Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ragus on Inishmore vs. Bunratty Irish Night vs. Medieval Banquet - for kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Medieval Banquet,Irish Night,or Ragus -which of the three would you recommend for a family of all ages from 8 months to 75? All sound like fun! Have not seen postings on Ragus or Irish night, and need opinions, please. Would the Aran Ragus and the Bunratty Traditional Irish Night be similar, that we wouldn't want to do both on a short trip? Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:45 PM

Do a google search for "ireland castle banquets" and when you see the listing for "Restaurants, Banquets and Pubs in Ireland" click on it. There are brief reviews of castle banquets and Irish Night along with contact e-mails for reservations. You can get 10% off Irish Night & banquets at that website.

Having been to all (except Ragus) I would highly recommend Bunratty Traditonal Irish Night. It is usually not as crowded as the banquets and the kids will like it more. The food was the best of the bunch (salmon or Irish stew).

If your trip is very short you might want to skip the Aran Islands.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:51 AM

Hi GmaMcD,

Glad to see you are still working on your trip and haven't given it up for lost!

I've been to Ragus on Inishmore and found it to be quite fun and entertaining. I think, however, that you will get more bang for your buck at one of the other venues you are looking at. I'd best describe Raqgus as a mini-Riverdance with playing, singing and lots of dancing. It's very personal too with only 40 or 50 seats max (I'd guess). It reminds me a bit of those grade school concerts the kids used to put on for the parents (do they still do that?) with folding chairs and a small stage in the gym. Not quite that big but you get the picture.

How goes the setting up? Got all 25 of you on the same page?

Cheers,

Wendy
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Wendy! Yes, still working on the trip for all 29 of us, in fact, last night I just re-read all your previous suggestions to do a mental checklist. I'm sure I'm driving our tour company crazy!
Appreciate your comments about Ragus and Irish Eyes' recommendation of the Traditional Irish Night. Since I don't want to make the decision myself,I've asked my kids to vote - Castle Banquet vs Traditional Night -but have a "we really, really want...."vote for each, and others who said"both sound like fun - count us in" so I still need readers' opinions!! Has anyone taken kids to either Bunratty event? What ages, what were their reactions? Thanks!! I really appreciate this site and all the help it's given me.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:28 AM

I think I may have posted my trip 2 years ago to the Aran Islands. Ragus is in my opinion not worth the show. I feel for the cost it's very amateur and there was a lot of pulling faces amoungst the dancers and musicians. Not really a professional thing to do when people are paying to see you. Also are you going to the island just to see Ragus? I would not fancy brining a baby on the ferry if the sea was rough, you could always fly over with aer aaran.

Bunratty sounds like it would be more appealing to kids and adults.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 06:19 AM

ttt for Melissa5

M,

If you can, GmaMcD went to one of these shows (I believe the one in Galway) and can tell you all about it.

Wendy
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Hello,
I just attended the Traditional Irish Night a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The food was very good, there were individual seats at the tables (as opposed to long benches at the Medieval Banquet, or so I've heard), and the entertainment very good. There was nothing about the evening that would prevent a child from having a terrific time. Certainly nothing off-color or offensive.

Hope you enjoy whatever you choose.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:11 PM
amelia

The Bunratty Irish Night (not the Medieval Banquet) was our last outing on a three-week stay in Ireland. So one would assume the "touristy" part of it would get to us.

Nope. We loved it. Nice singing and dancing--nothing too complicated. Food was plentiful and just fine.

It was very organized, warm, accessible. We sat by people from Sweden, one of whom was chosen as a partner for dancing. I was able to video it on my digital camera and send it to them.

We really don't like touristy things, but we felt this was a nice ending to our stay.

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 08:53 PM

Since we are making similar decisions about which music/dance shows are worthwhile and not too touristy, these answers are great. Very helpful. Thanks.

Also has anyone been to the Dunguaire castle medieval banquet vs. the medieval banquet at Bunratty or the Traditional Irish night at Bunratty?

I'll be travelling with husband and 2 young adult daughters. Thanks!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Melissa5 - Answering your question from another thread - yes, I originally asked about the dance shows, and yes, our trip was in July,and I learned that the best plans don't always come to fruition - what we planned, and what we managed to fit in, for various reasons, were not the same, so I suggest you also have alternates.

I had selected the Galway Siamsma - we saw Ragus in Inishmore. What Wendy and Siobhan wrote above is pretty accurate. It was rather amateurish, the hall and production disappointing to me personally,as I like theatre, but the small cast were good musicians and dancers, very young, very enthusiastic, and our young granddaughters and their mothers liked it a lot. (I wouldn't go again, but the proverbial "a bird in the hand .....&quot(FYI: everyone loved the Aran Islands trip)

We heard nothing but praise about the Folk Night at Bunratty, and that it was really fun - you definitely won't go wrong there. The non-musical and introverted members of my family voted against it for fear they might have to participate in singing and dancing! So we went to the Bunratty Castle Banquet - excellent evening - and no dancing! I don't think the Dunguaire banquet will be what you're looking for.

But I do have a suggestion: try to find a Fleadh or local music festival, like the An Tostal in Co. Leitrim, or the Willie Clancy Festival in Co. Clare, or the dancing exhibits at the Howth Peninsula Fair, etc. - truly for the Irish. There is a website for the Irish Events,Festivals and Fair organization that has a calendar of Irish events, searchable by type, month, and location - unfortunately, my bookmarks were accidentally erased so I can't supply the official name and web address now - perhaps someone else can? If you find one that fits your itinerary and dates, write them directly for the specific schedules. (Very few specifics will be available this early for next summer, but some dates should be available by now.

So many choices!! Have fun! Just build in some flexibility too!

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:38 PM

GmaMcD: Thanks for sharing about your musical experiences in Ireland. Yes, flexibility is important, and that means time. That's my problem right now, trying to smunch my itinerary into a flexible plan...that means leaving something out...ouch. The only thing I know for sure I'm doing right is 3 nights in County Clare at one B&B, and 3 nights in Dingle Peninsula in another B&B. The rest of my plan disintegrates into 1- and 2-night stays. Never ideal.