Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sicily Experts: Where to stay approx an hour away from Messina?

Jan 17th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

For logistics reasons we will like to stay at a location such that we can daytrip with relative ease to Messina, Taormina, and Mt. Etna. It would be nice to stay in a quaint town, nice place, not too overcrowded, sort of countryside B&B/agriturismo. I am not including budget; secondary consideration at this time. Sicily Experts: suggestions welcome; if I need to be recalibrated, I'll be glad to listen to kind advice.
Jan 17th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Well Taormina is not that far from Messina - only 29 miles (47 km) and a great base for Etna and Catanaia (a neat old town IME) as well as Syracuse.
Jan 17th, 2011, 10:27 AM

I was going to suggest Taormina too - but that would be if you wanted to stay in a sizeable town.

I do know of an agriturismo in Mineo not far from Catania, and their website lists an apartment. When I visited my sister when she was living in Sicily last year, I briefly met Mariska (the co-owner), and certainly can attest to her friendliness, and to their amazingly yummy products! My sister got to know Mariska over a few years because she regularly sells at a stand on the US Navy base (and as a result has quite a following in the US!).

English version of their website is:
http://www.siculolio.ch/indexE.html

Facebook Page is:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aziend...71425342870356
Jan 17th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

OK-- I will explore the Taormina option-- we will be going with another couple and their preference is the smaller, quaint town. So, any town suggestions near Taormina that fits that description?
Jan 17th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

ggreen-- I forgot to mention-- i did looked the link you provided-- place looks great. That said, as I mentioned on my earlier post we are two couples.
Jan 17th, 2011, 12:35 PM

There is Taormina up on the hill and below it the quintessential Italian seaside resort town of Naxos Gardina (not sure of name) and it has a string of hotels that are lss expensive it seemed and mainly full of Italians when I was there. This is the town near the Taormina train station, way below the fabled hill town, which though full of tourists I nevertheless fell in love with.
Jan 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM

There's a funicular I believe from Naxos Gardina up to Taormina. (And PalenQ, I feel the same about the town!)

Viajero2, knowing you are two couples definitely does make the Azienda agricola Infantino seem less likely an option. If the location etc. does look interesting to you, you might send them an email or FB message and see if they have any suggestions - I have a feeling they'd be accommodating if possible!
Jan 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ-- I will look into Naxos Gardina. Many thanks for the suggestions.

ggreen-- I will also send an FB message to the Azienda Infantino for suggestions. Many thanks as well.