Italy in 16 Days in June

Jan 16th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Italy in 16 Days in June

Hi guys!
My friend and i will be graduating college in June and are planning to go to Italy for 16-17 days in June! I wanted to know if you have suggestions for cities to definitely visit and how many days to stay in each one..Any recomendations for hotels? hostels? We are on a budget...doesnt need to be a fancy hotel, just clean and in a relatively ok neightborhood.

Please help is , we are desperate..THANKS!
Jan 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM

It is difficult to make suggestions without knowing your interests: art, food, architecture, hiking, archeological sites, beaches? Are there any places like Rome, Venice, Pompeii, etc. that you ahve always dreamed of seeing? You might start with some guide books from the library or your local book store to discover what you might enjoy most.
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:02 PM

Well what do you want to see? Why did you and your friend pick Italy?

The classic 'big 3' for Italy would be: Rome, Florence, Venice. You can travel between cities on the train.

No need to be "desperate" (lol) but a guidebook might be a good idea. Rick Steves is good for Italy and first timers. Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, Let's Go are all good budget guidebooks. Lonely Planet has a forum similar to this one.
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

We definitely want to visit Rome, Florence, and Venice. I would live to see Pisa and Verona. Do you know if there is a way to get there using public transportation? I'm kind of scared of driving in Europe, just started driving here in NYC

Thanks for the book suggestions, I actually just ordered the Italy (EYEWITNESS TRAVEL GUIDE) By: Adele Evans..hopefully it will help lpan out the city as well.

As fat as interests, of course we want to see the landmarks and night life. How many days woudl you say is enough to explore Rome, Florence, and Venice each?
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Also any hostel or hotel suggestions for those three cities?
Jan 16th, 2011, 10:59 PM

I suggest that you check out the Rough Guides and also the Thorn Tree forum.
Jan 17th, 2011, 02:12 AM

Do some research on this forum. Read the trip reports for the cities you plan to visit. Use the search function to read posts on "train travel in Italy" and "hostels in Rome", etc. This info has already been discussed many times to lots of existing info.

This is a great resource for those new to the Italian train system: http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/

Your initial request is too generic to get helpful responses. Do your research, map out a preliminary itinerary, post it her and ask for feedback.
Jan 17th, 2011, 02:34 AM

Check out www.eurocheapo.com for affordable accomodation ideas
Jan 17th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Eyewitness has great info on places to see, but is short on how to do it. For that, get a Fodors, Fromers or Rick Steves. That will give you lots of help on when things are open, costs, etc. Rick Steves is especially good on transportation options. He has pretty good maps (though not to scale, they do give milage and times) for trains and driving.

No, you do not need to drive to any of the places you mentioned. A car would only add to your expense and agravation. You can go to any of the major areas of Italy on the train, and it is very cheap and easy, even if you buy tickets when you get there.

*****Just don't forget that after you purchase the ticket, you must still validate it in one of the "usually yellow" ticket validating machines before boarding the train.*****

You can go to pisa as a day trip from Florence. You can also go to Siena or Luca easily from Florence.

I know others will not agree, but IMHO, Rome has everything Verona has and much, much more, so you could skip it this trip and use the time to visit other places, perhaps CT, Pompeii, the AC, etc. Fly into Venice and out of Rome so you are not back tracking.

You local library should also have some DVDs on sight seeing in Italy that you could check out and watch.
Jan 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM

YouTube is another source of travel related videos as well as the country sponsored websites.
Jan 17th, 2011, 01:59 PM

Without knowing too much about you, it is difficult to predict how to allot your 16-17 days. I'm assuming you are from the U.S. (though this may be incorrect) and therefore 2 of your days will probably taken up with traveling to and from Italy--you'll depart home on Day 1 and arrive in Italy on Day 2--you may be very tired and jet-lagged on Day 2. Your last day, Day 17, will be all about getting to the airport to go home. Therefore, your 17-day itinerary is down to 14 full days (15 nights).

One starting point for an itinerary is this
Day 1: Depart U.S.
Days 2-5: Venice- 4 nights (daytrip to Verona)
Days 6-9: Florence - 3 nights (daytrip to Pisa)
Days 9-11: ?????? - 3 nights (Cinque Terre? Sorrento? Tuscany?)
Days 12-17: Rome - 5 nights
Fly home.

Based on your specific interests, you could adjust any of these night counts, but you'll have to do some research. Keep in mind that any time you change hotels, you will lose at least half a day checking in and out, getting to and from stations, waiting at stations, riding trains.