Sicily-Da Vittorio Information

Jun 13th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Sicily-Da Vittorio Information

Can anyone tell me the times that this restauant serves lunch. We hope to dine here (Thanks to Elizabeth's Recommendation), but we don't want to arrive too early or too late!! Can't wait to experience this place.
Thanks for any help.
Jo
Jun 13th, 2004, 02:24 PM

For those of us who do not have or know Elizabeth's recommendations, it would be quite helpful to know at least what town in Sicily the restaurant is in. There are quite a few Italian Web sites about restaurants that would probably help to answer your question but without knowing WHERE Da Vittorio (not the most infrequent name in Italian...) is, it's not easy -- not to say: impossible -- to find the right one.

As a general rule, though, a Sicilian restaurant will open its doors for lunch at 12:30 p.m. and the locals will start strolling in at 1:00 or 1:30. You should bear in mind, however, that except for a very few restaurants in heavily touristed areas, every restaurant in Italy has a particular day of the week when it is closed.
Jun 14th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Eloise for your reply,
Da Vittorio's is in Porto Palo, Sicily.
Sorry I didn't mention that!
Jo
Jun 14th, 2004, 03:50 PM

OK, here's the information I was able to find.

Da Vittorio is mentioned in two of the restaurant guides published in Italy: L'Espresso and Veronelli. It is also a member of the Slow Food movement. It gets a general rating of 7.3 out of 10, but the score for price/quality relationship is a high 83 out of 100. According to one Web site, it is closed on Monday evening (but not in the summer) and according to another Web site, it is closed on Sunday and Monday evenings all year. According to one Web site, reservations are required; according to another, they are not. But we're talking about Sicily here, so we shouldn't expect consistency... Anyway, you are planning lunch, so the evenings they are closed are unlikely to matter to you.

And Da Vittorio has a Web site:

www.futuralink.it/vittorio

and an E-mail address:

[email protected]

If you prefer not to trust general indications about lunch hours in Sicily and to make a reservation, use the E-mail address, stating date, day of week, hour (in European: i.e., "alle ore 13.30" for 1:30 p.m.), and the number of people. Date, day of week and number are words for which you should find translations in any guide book for Italy.

Happy dining! (Vittorio's picture -- I imagine it is he -- on the Web site looks "molto simpatico.")
Jun 14th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Sorry, you might need a bit more than the above to reserve:

Vorrei prenotare per X persone il XX MONTH alle ore XX.XX.

Sarei lieto di ricevere una conferma.

Grazie molto e cordiali saluti,

NAME

I can't really help you with the reply, though!

You might even try sending a message in Italian and English, and hope that they reply in English...
Jun 14th, 2004, 04:26 PM

The following E-mail address from the Web site might be more current:

[email protected]
Jun 14th, 2004, 05:44 PM

My wife and I showed up at Da Vittorio's at about 3:30 in the afternoon on a weekday. Lunch was clearly over and dinner had not yet begun. The only people in the dining room were members of the kitchen staff and their families. We asked if we were too late for lunch and were told, "No problem." We were seated next to the table of staff and family and enjoyed one of our best meals in Sicily. I wouldn't get too concerned about reservations or e-mails.
Jun 16th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the GREAT Information! We're off to Sicily in a week.
Thanks again.
Jo