"Stay at Teacher's Home" in Sicily

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for 2-3 weeks of an immersion Italian course where the student can live in the teacher's home - so the learning is continuous and not just a few hours a day.

Yes I found many language schools in Sicily, but I have no success finding a home-stay program in Sicily. I found a couple in Rome but my heart is set in Sicily.

Can anyone help? Thanks
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 12:46 AM

Hi
the school in Taormina(Sicily)is http://www.babilonia.it/italian_lang...omodation.html
Apparently they don't have accommodation in a teacher house but honestly Taormina is such small place you won't have problem to meet locals .Sicilian like chatting with Tourists( I am one of them
If you need transfer the day of your arrival have a look at this website http://www.sicilylimousineservice.com/sicily/index.htm
Go to Sicily if your heart is there you won't regret it
Saluti
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sicilyforever.

I have come across Bibilonia in my search and heard that they offer very good courses (including private tuitions), and I do want a combination of small group class (maybe 2-3 hours in the morning), plus 1-2 hours private class in the afternoon.

Staying at a native speaker's home will force me to learn 24-7, and to me that's different from attending a few hours' lessons a day. Certainly I can seek out opportunities the rest of the day to speak with locals, but to me that's a different type of conversation. Ordering food in a bar/restaurant, shopping etc. I have no problem with, but I need people to converse with on any subjects. Right now I meet an Italian woman once a week for an hour and we just chat. I can speak a little but my listening comprehension part is sadly lacking. I tried to start a local chapter of Italian Meeting Group here, but only one person showed up at the first meeting - and she doesn't speak Italian!!

I also found a couple of places in Tropea (Calabria), one is a local teacher, and the other is the Piccola Universita' Italiana. However both are like Babilonia in Sicily - classes only although the local teacher Antonio said I can hang out with him (and his girlfriend) the rest of the day! I have never been to Tropea also, and the photos on their website are amazing!!

Yes - my heart is still in Sicily. Maybe my solution is attending the Babilonia, and also find a family that offers "dinner": attending classes till 2-3 p.m., then spend some time on my own, and stay with a family for dinner (for a couple of hours) and go back to my hotel.

Sicilyforever: would you have the website of some local newspaper where I can search for classified ads or post an ad asking if any family can "put up" with me - for example, "just dinner" (I'll pay of course). Thanks

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 05:26 AM

Johnmango,

Have you read this information on the Babilonia Web site???

>>HOME-STAY

Available with single or double rooms. We have a limited number of families, couples and single adults who make available rooms in their residences. Many are available with boarding options (meals), which include breakfast only, half-board (breakfast & lunch or dinner) and full board. Obviously this accommodation option requires a greater commitment not only on the part of the property owner, but also on the part of the student. It is well suited to those who desire a more immersive learning experience and additional daily practice speaking Italian.<<

But be aware that some of these property owners may not speak the purest Italian...
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Johmango tropea is really nice place too.. I am sure if you will be in contact the school they are going to sort it out your problem.I understand you I had the same problem when I was in Spain ... If you go for Taormina just let me know we can have a coffe and a chat in pure Italian( the family are selected in private schools and they speak Italian)
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

I missed the homestay link in the Babilonia site, but I also got a response from NRCSA (National Reg. Center for Study Abroad), which has similar program and also will arrange for homestay.

I guess that's the next best thing to staying at teacher's home. I believe both Babilonia and NRCSA have campus in Taormina. Now I will have to compare the two. It won't be until later this year or maybe early 2009 - just want to check things out now.

Siciliforever, se finalmente decido a ricarsi da Taormina, certamente le contatterò, e c'incontreremo per una bevanda!
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 11:05 PM

Scegli il meglio per te e ricorda va sempre dove ti porta il cuore