Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seeking info on Doner Kebab restaurant, Pozzallo, Italy (Sicily)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for information on the "Doner Kebab" restaurant in Pozzallo, Italy (Sicily). I'd like to know their mailing address, and the name of the family that runs it.

My sister was recently there, and met the family. She has a letter and photo she'd like to send them, but has lost the contact information. It's in Pozzallo, a couple of blocks from the Villa Ada.

Anyone?

- Larry
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM

There are 17 restaurants in Pozzallo listed in the Italian Yellow Pages, but none of them is identified as a "doner kebab" restaurant.

If she goes to

www.paginegialle.it

she might recognize the address. She can also click on "Mappa Interattiva" to see the location.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:06 PM

Ever thought of calling or e-mailing the Villa Ada and asking?
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:54 PM

I am sorry your sister didn't get the address. I too take pictures of people I meet but have learned to ask for their address so I can send them a copy.

We were in Sicily this past April. As we were walking through Palmero, we came upon a family who were having a barbeque in the street. We stopped, chatted as best we could with our limited Italian and their english. I took a bunch of picutres of the kids and parents.

I am thrilled I can send the pics to them.

Hope your sister can find the address. The family will be happy to receive the picture.

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:38 PM
KT

I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know, but "Doner Kebab" is the name of a Turkish dish, so it's more than likely not the actual full name of the restaurant, even if it has a "Doner Kebab" sign. It would be like a place with a sign saying "Pizza" or "Hamburgers." Have you tried Googling Pozzallo kebab and seeing what comes up?
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the help. I'll eventually let you all know how it turns out.

Eloise, thanks for pointing us to the Pagine Gialle, which I had forgotten about. But someone in Italy had already tried looking them up in the book, and like you, also couldn't find them.

Nessundorma, my sister intends to write the Villa Ada to see if they can help, via e-mail or snail mail. She's reluctant to phone them, because when she stayed there, the staff really didn't speak English (even though the hotel has a good English web page), and she doesn't speak Italian. She found this to be the case throughout Sicily, and another friend of mine who recently traveled through Sicily reported the same thing.

grosenb, good advice. They actually did get a phone number for the restaurant, but managed to lose it.

KT, they do know what doner kebab is (actually &quot;d&ouml;ner kebab&quot, and are not in fact sure that was the actual <i>name</i> of the restaurant. But they think it was, because I think that's actually a chain of restaurants in Italy. See the article, in Italian, entitled &quot;Kebab beats Big Mac&quot;:

http://www.panorama.it/italia/cronac...-A020001034592

I did try googling various combinations, but couldn't find anything very specific about restaurant locations.

Again, thanks, all, for the help.

- Larry
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:17 AM
ira

Hi Larry,

Could it have been
Doner Kebab &quot;Orientale&quot; di Iemma Salvatore - P.zza C.Battisti n° 33 bis - Pozzallo ?

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Ira, thanks! I sent the info to my sister to see if any of that rings a bell, and I'm waiting to hear from her.

Where did you get this address?

- Larry
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:53 PM

Ira,

Fantastico.

It's your cousin, right? ;-)
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:29 AM
ira

Hi Larry,

I googled &quot;Kebab pozzallo&quot;.

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Ira, that's it! Thanks!

My sister wrote back, &quot;<i>Yes, that' it!!!!! Definitely-- How the hell did Ira find it? I love the way the mystery is unfolding. What fun! Now we'll send the letter directly to the restaurant. I hope they write back. We had asked if they had internet/email but they indicated that they didn't.</i>&quot;.

ira, before posting this query, I had done numerous searches on Google, using various combinations of search terms. But thinking back, whenever I had included the word &quot;kebab&quot;, I had also included the word &quot;doner&quot;. And now, finding the site you located, I see that the restaurant is not called &quot;Done<b>r</b> Kebab Orientale&quot;, but in fact &quot;Done<b>k</b> Kebab Orientale&quot;, with a &quot;k&quot; instead of an &quot;r&quot;. I don't know any Turkish, so I don't know what the difference is, but that was what stopped me from getting any hits.

Actually, I suspect this may even be a typo, because if I Google (in quotes) &quot;doner kebab&quot;, I get 302,000 hits, while if I Google &quot;donek kebab&quot;, I get four hits. If there were really something called &quot;donek kebab&quot;, I'd get more than four hits.

Anyway, thank you, Ira! Fodor's comes through again!

- Larry