Short on time... Modena to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because of the lack of agreeable flight times from Rome to Dallas, I have decided to tag my Venice visit onto the end of my trip, which of course means a 7:45am flight out.

I will be travelling from Modena to Venice on Friday morning, and spending Friday night and Saturday night in Venice, flying out Sunday morning. I am thinking since we will only be spending two days there, it would behoove me to get a hotel near the airport and avoid the madness of trying to get from Venice to the airport via the waterways. It looks like the Marriott Courtyard is the closest (less than a mile from the airport) and provides a free shuttle service to the airport. It says the bus to the center of Venice also runs right in front of the hotel, and from what I've read we can be in Venice in about half an hour.

My questions are:

Am I shooting myself in the foot by staying BOTH nights in this hotel just for the sake of being close to the airport? I just hate the thought of having to change hotels when we'll only be there two nights. And if we DO stay in this hotel both nights, is it going to be difficult to get from Modena to the hotel? I assume we will take the train from Modena to Venice, then not sure how we'll get to the hotel from the train station-- I guess the same way we'd get from the hotel to the center of Venice, except backwards? ;-)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions for this first time Italian traveller with limited time to plan!

Charity
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stay in Venice. You only have a day and a half and don't want to lose any of that time on a bus or waiting for one.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 05:50 AM

Stay in Venice proper for both nights, but ease your early-morning trip to the airport by choosing a hotel walking distance from Piazzale Roma. At Piazzale Roma, you can get a land bus or land taxi directly to the airport, a ride of about 20 minutes. Piazzale Roma is also close to the Venezia SL train station, so your arrival from Modena would be efficient as well.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 06:08 AM

Hmmm. That is a dilemma. elle's suggestion is a pretty good one, but it still entails getting up at about 4:00 am if you plan to be at the airport by 5:45-6:00.

Here's another idea. Stay in Venice for one night. On the second day, see if the hotel will let you store your bags there while you explore Venice into the evening. (If not, you can use the baggage storage at the train station.)Then, when you're ready to leave Venice that night, get a land taxi to your hotel near the airport. That will give you the equivalent of two days in Venice, and you won't have to wake up ridiculously early to get your fight.

BTW, I recommend the Titian Inn near the aiport. Nice hotel, good breakfast, friendly staff. They charge 5 euros to shuttle to the airport (5 mins. away), but I think there room prices are a lot cheaper than the Marriott, so you'll more than make up the difference for the free shuttle.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 06:31 AM

But Venice's airport is small. You don't need to get there 2 hours before your flight. 1 or 1.5 hours is plenty.

And I wouldn't want to give up an evening in Venice; that's the best time, daytrippers having left. Have you read JillDavis' trip report on Venice?

If cost is no object, book an early morning taxi (boat) to the airport. Otherwise follow Ellenem's plan.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

I'm really not comfortable staying in Venice the night before we leave. I've missed an international flight before so am paranoid about transportation issues with getting to the airport-- I do NOT want to go through that again!

I think I will take k9's advice and book a hotel for Friday night in Venice, and transfer to the airport hotel Saturday evening. Hopefully I can get the hotel to store my luggage. I will check on that at time of booking.

Now... can anyone recommend a hotel in Venice that is fairly inexpensive (would like to stay under 125 euros) and convenient for my arrival from Modena and departure the next day? I've been looking online but I am on a very limited time frame to get this trip all scheduled (will be there end of November 2010) so appreciate all suggestions. I am quickly realizing that 6-8 weeks is a woefully short time to plan a two week visit to Italy!

Charity