Venice-Milan trip in June

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice-Milan trip in June

Hi everybody,
Big hello from Los Angeles
I am traveling from Venice to Milan in June this year. This is my first trip to Europe. In Venice I am planning to stay in Mestre instead of Venice due to baggage etc. I don't know how inconvenience it'll be to take train, bus water, etc while I am carrying my luggagefs What can I do in Mestre on my 1st day? I am planning to take a city-tour on my 2nd day. Any suggestions?

I am staying in Venice for 2 days only and headed to Milan for another 2 days. Does Eurostar have a route going from Mestre to Milan?
Any suggestions, inputs, etc are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 09:08 PM

I am not following your reasoning behind wanting to stay in Mestre due to baggage. Many people travel to Venice with baggage.

If your interest is to save money by staying in Mestre, remember that it is still a trek to get to the heart of Venice from Mestre. Cheaper accommodation perhaps but also less time to see Venice. You need to decide what factor is more important to you. You probably get better Venice experience by finding a low cost accommodation in Venice.

You can look at Eurostar schedule at www.trenitalia.com or http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much Greg.
Well I thought the VCE airport was far from Venice. I'll be carrying 2 big luggages. So I guess it won't be a hassle to take the tram/subway from the airport and then transfer to water bus going to Venice?
By the way any common rules on tipping at restaurant?
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Stay in Venice if you can at all afford it. You can take a bus from the airport to the edge of town, then a vaporetto to your hotel. Or you can take the Alilaguna from (near) the airport to several main stops in Venice. You could also take a taxi from the airport (expensive) or from your first stop in Venice to your hotel. Try to find a hotel on a canal. Lugging two big suitcases around Venice over the stepped bridges might be difficult. Though the steps a very low and you might be able to drag a roller up over them rather than having to lift them.

I assume you're going to Milan on business and need the 2 big suitcases for that.

You should be able to find a train from Venice Santa Lucia to Milano Centrale without a change at Mestre or elsewhere.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi Mimar,
No it's not a business trip. I will be going to London-Venice-Milan-France. All in 11 days. Super crazy I know
I found a hotel by the Grand Canal called Boscolo Hotel Bellini. Is this a good choice? It's like 200 meters from the train station stop. I am just afraid that it'll be a mess carrying luggage from the airport, then to the shuttle bus, then to the water bus. Or is it a wrong assumption? I am not so worried after I get to the train station stop since it's only 2 minute walk to Boscolo Hotel Bellini.
Thx much
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Why are you taking 2 large suitcases for an 11 day trip? Limit yourself to 1 suitcase and you eliminate this problem.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

was thinking of doing some shopping in Milan and Paris
I'll pack super light then and bring 1 luggage only. Thanks for the advice Jamikins
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Pack a second folding bag in your suitcase on teh way there adn then you can use it for your purchases and take 2 bags home!

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Oh and I would definitely stay IN Venice, NOT Mestre...Venice is magic after dark. Try www.hotelgalleria.it its right by a vapretto stop and has reasonable prices. We had no problem getting the vapretto with a suitcase when we stayed here.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 07:56 AM
LJ

The Hotel Boscolo Bellini is in the Grand Canal side of Cannaregio which is my favourite part of Venice...it is a bit of a hike (or canal ride) from Piazza St. Marco, but then again you have access to neighbourhood restaurants where real Venetians (and university students) eat in Cannaregio and you are close to the train staion whihc will be useful with or without those suitcases!

Have a great vacation and write a Trip Report on this are and hotel...it get less attention than other areas of Venice.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Great advice Jamikins. Everybody told me to stay in Venice instead of Mestre. Thanks a million Jamikins!
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi LJ,
I was also thinking of Casa Santa Maria Formosa, 0.3 mi off St Mark square. But I guess I'll stick with Boscolo.
Yes I'll definitely write a report. Thanks a bunch LJ
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM

HenryW -- glad you are staying in Venice, much better. Not sure if you have already booked your London/France parts of this same trip, but I worry that you won't experience the best of any of the four stops in only 11 days. If you think there's a chance you can go back, you might consider only a north Italy trip, with stops on the train in Verona and maybe a few days along Lake Como instead? I really loved Venice and even Milan, but in part because I had the time to walk leisurely through the less touristed areas of both cities and really soak up the culture/food etc.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

yeah I am going back to Europe for sure. I probably need the whole month to explore these 4 places I am about to visit. Italy is definitely on my top list for my next visit. Another confirmation that I should stay in Venice, not Mestre. Thx much for the insight.