Sevilla or Madrid?

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Sevilla or Madrid?

We are flying into Madrid, spending 1 1/2 days, then flying to Sevilla for 1 1/2 days. Even if we hire a private guide for each city, should we forget Madrid, altogether, and spend the full time in Sevilla?
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 07:13 AM

I have never been to Sevilla, but I don't think you will be able to do Madrid justice in 1.5 days. I was there for three and could have used a fourth. Perhaps choosing just one would allow you to really get a better experience there. I loved Madrid, by the way.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Agree with JoeTro. You need extra days in Madrid to have daytrips to Toledo, Segovi,etc. Sevilla,too, needs more
time. I suggest to pick one of these two
cities and stay longer. You'll enjoy them better that way.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Although Seville is one of my favorite cities in the world, I agree with the above posters. You'd be rushing too much to try to do both and wouldn't do justice to either. Toledo is charming as well (don't know about Segovia--going in May and have heard it's delightful too.)
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:25 PM

NancyDarst writes: "Message: We are flying into Madrid, spending 1 1/2 days, then flying to Sevilla for 1 1/2 days. ... should we forget Madrid, altogether, and spend the full time in Sevilla?"

Sevilla is nice, but forget Madrid?? Never! A Spanish saying: De Madrid al Cielo (from Madrid to Heaven).
Although you won't have time to visit Toledo or Segovia, you can visit the Museo del Prado, the Palacio Real, the Plaza Mayor and the Puerta del Sol, the Centro de Arte de la Reina Sofia. Don't hire a Guide! You can do all that walking.

When is this visit going to take place?

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Segovia is very nice; I recommend it. I have not been to Toledo and heard it was amazing.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 02:59 PM

I agree w/NEDSIRELAND. Do both. It is too bad all you have for each is 1.5 days, but do the highlights in each city and at least, you'll know what to skip/go back to the next time. In Madrid do the Royal Palace, walk to the Plaza Mayor, and pick one museum (if museums are your thing). In Seville go to the Cathedral, la Giralda, Barrio de Santa Cruz. No need for private guides unless you really, really want to have one.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 03:19 PM

if you really just want a "feel" for both, you can economize on time , take the tour bus madrid.. during day, and do not miss it at night for a treat. you will get great overall view of city.
hopefully you could stroll through the prado, if that interests you, walk around plaza mayor at night and have night cap at bar/restaurant across from the beautifully illuminated palacio real behind the opera house.

then take the AVE high speed train to sevilla,( if you don't have plane tickets already) and bar hop as mentioned in barrio santa cruz.( you could be IN sevilla by the time you would be boarding your plane at barajas airport).

take a carriage ride,and if you have time to go into cathedral or casa de pilates, you won't be disappointed.

quick trip, but fun. they are so different!
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:18 PM

If you are into art at all, the Prado is a must-see - one of my very favorite museums. There are other museums in Madrid to choose from, but with limited time, the Prado is the one. And I agree with some of the previous posters to stay in Madrid and maybe do a daytrip to either Toledo or Segovia (both are wonderful - would probably pick Toledo if I had to choose just one).
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 01:14 PM

I don't think NED said to do both -- but I wouldn't. That's too little time to split between two cities given the travel time between them. YOu can forget whichever one you want, both are worth spending 3 days in -- perhaps choose the one you are most wanting to see or where you are leaving from. I assume you are flying out of Madrid, so I'd just stay there. Many people might prefer Seville as it is smaller, however, and if you can leave from there, that's a good choice.

I really liked Segovia, also, but have not been to Toledo.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 01:30 PM

I much prefer Sevilla to Madrid. However, if you are flying into Madrid and have only 3 days total, I would stay in Madrid. As it is, you will hardly scratch the surface. You will probably want to see Toledo and that and the sights of Madrid will take at least 3 days. Next time, spend longer in Spain and visit Sevilla and the rest of Andalucia.