Madrid and Toledo

Search

Madrid and Toledo

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid and Toledo

I have two days in Madrid before going to Seville. My thinking is one day in Madrid on the "hop-on, hop-off" and then a tour to Toledo the following day. On the other hand, I feel like I am not doing justice to Madrid. Any opinions?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:33 AM

I just returned from 4 days in Madrid, with a one day outing to Toledo. I would be happy to answer any questions you have off-line if you post your e-mail address.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:39 AM

I think the idea here is to ask and answer questions here so that everyone can benefit.

Personally I think you would be silly to have only 2 days in Madrid and spend one on a day trip, even if it is to Toledo.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:46 AM

Sorry, I been flamed enough on this board.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:53 AM

Ok, i'll go. I just returned from 4 days in Madrid with a one day to Toledo. if you only have 2 days, and IMHO you're lucky that's all you have, spend it in Madrid and don't bother with Toledo. In 2 days you can see the Palace, the adjoining church, 1 or 2 of the big 3 museums ( enjoyed the Thyssen and the Reina Sofia, DH loved the Prado), experience Plaza Mayor, maybe see the botanical gardens and the Park Retiro. I didn't care for Madrid (go ahead flame away). I found nothing charming about it and it reminded me of NYC (where I live and work). I loved Seville and Barcelona.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
ComfyShoes

BronxGuy, The gist of the the follow-on posters to your original post is correct. You have too little time to go outside of Madrid. Enjoy Madrid with many of its landmarks.

Make sure to review maribel's guides (http://maribelsguides.com/), and consider reviewing days three, four, and five of the report that I am in the process of posting:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35001438

Both Madrid and Seville should be fun so enjoy your trip!

Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, bronxguy,

i find myself in almost complete agreement with Lori [am i allowed to say that?].

living in rural UK [cornwall] i like anywhere with shops, theatres, wall to wall bars and restaurants with tapas and cheap wine.

Madrid rated about 6 on my personal scale [1-10]. I would do galleries rather than the palace [not much inside worth seeing IMO that isn't better in the Prado] but its postition on the palza oriente is very impressive. [the general idea].

you'll find plenty to do in two days.

some good flamenco bars for the evenings - see a current thread on this.

Madrid is the city that never sleeps, spo take your ear-plugs/dancing shoes.

regards, ann
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM

I was in Madrid last month for 3 days & loved the city. Like you,I was considering a day trip to Toledo. It didn't work out (due to my own bad planning) & I ended spending my entire time in Madrid. There is quite a bit to see, so I'd vote to spend your 2 days there. If you click on my name, you can see my trip report from both Madrid & Seville.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
ComfyShoes

Lolly100, Welcome back! I remember you from our planning for the trips! Good you enjoyed it (I read your report).

Old May 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Hi ComfyShoes - thanks! I've been following your trip report too. I really enjoyed reading the Toledo portion since I didn't make it there. I'm interested to hear the rest of your report - if you made it to Feria in Seville, or a bullfight?
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:04 AM
ComfyShoes

Lolly, Two weeks before the trip, I realized I was going to miss Feria because I was there a week earlier and had been looking at 2006! dates all along!! Closest I came to watching bull fights was one on TV that was playing a fight in Madrid's Las Ventas. Still, just too many things to see and experience. Enjoyed the trip too.

Old May 25th, 2007, 10:57 AM

BronxGuy, tourist Madrid is fairly compact. Rather than take the hop-on/off bus, perhaps you could decide what sights would be of most interest and simply concentrate on just those in the limited time you have.