A week in Madrid

Search

A week in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A week in Madrid

I am planning a trip to Madrid, Spain in early December. Among other activities, I plan to attend a couple of "futbol" matches. I intend to spend about 10 days in Madrid. Is this too long of a timeframe?
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM
kja

Hi, jjrod -
It depends on what you want to see and do, and what pace you prefer! Particularly if you like museums, visiting Madrid itself can easily take several days. And there are a number of places near Madrid that are worth a day-trip or overnight stay (or more!) - Toledo, Segovia, Avila, El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen, Salamanca (which is a bit far for a day trip). . . . Hope that helps!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

kja,

Thanks for your prompt response. I intend to do a little of everything, but most of all I want to get a glimpse of life in Madrid. Any further thoughts?
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 02:01 PM
kja

I'll have to let others share their thoughts on that, jjrod - I was there in Sept./Oct., which might be different than in a visit in December. For example, people might not be out and about as much. I can say that I really enjoyed my time in and around Madrid, and hope you do, too!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again kja! Any other comments regarding timeframe? Is a 10 day stay too long in Madrid?
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Yes, about 8 days too long IMO

but there are as kja points out several outstanding day trips

I would add Aranjuez (sp?), the Castillian Versailles it's called - a lavish royal palace, etc. just a short train ride from Madrid (towards Toledo)
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM

If you have many activities which you want to try, Madrid can keep you busy plenty of time. I've been there a lot and I could visit Madrid and spend ten days without any "Day Trips".

http://www.madridman.com/

This is a good site for things to see and do in Madrid. Let us know if you're young/old/middleage etc.. Madrid is better for young people but being old farts is good too.

Blackduff

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:23 AM

And Madrid is also, along with Barcelona, one of Europe's street crime capitals - plenty of muggings even, rare in Europe

My sister-in-law was violently mugged on a Sunday morning around 8am right in front of Atocha station. She came out of the struggle with black eyes and bruises so be careful and don't wear the family jewels, etc.

It's really a big problem IMO
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:32 AM

"And Madrid is also, along with Barcelona, one of Europe's street crime capitals - plenty of muggings even, rare in Europe"

Where do these stats come from. Spain, including Madrid and Barcelona, is one of the safest countries in Europe. Sure you're going to find some mugging, stealing, and small crimes but the big crimes are not high compared other countries.

When I moved from Spain to France, I felt a downwards for my personal safety. I'll check on the internet about crime and countries.

Blackduff
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Google Madrid and muggings

Google Barcelona and muggings

Google any other large city in Europe and muggings

You will find that Madrid and Barcelona have pages and pages of reported incidents

but for Paris you will find hardly any

That should tell you something that you obviously don't know.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Travel Forum: Robbed in Madrid - photo.net
A female friend of mine was mugged in Madrid this year. It's common knowledge this city has its problems, all visitors should be aware. ...
photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006TWR

Muggings - News - Times Topics - The New York Times
Alan Riding travel article on rise in petty crime and scams against tourists in Madrid, Spain; use of violence by muggers is becoming more common ...
topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/m/muggings/index.html?offset=40&s=newest

Madrid, Spain
Madrid has reported growing incidents of muggings and violent attacks, and older tourists and Asian-Americans seem to be particularly at risk. ...
ww2.covacations.com/Frommers.aspx?RecordId=0056023852&airport=MAD& amp;destname=Madrid%2C+Spain&co

Madrid: Hostal Martin - Traveler Reviews - Was Mugged in the Lobby ...Hostal Martin, Madrid, Spain: See 10 traveler reviews, candid photos, and great deals for Hostal Martin, at TripAdvisor.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...in-Madrid.html

Madrid - Reviews and Travel Information - TripAdvisorMadrid: Hostal Martin: "Was Mugged in the Lobby of the building." Oct 14, 2007 NYC-TravelEnthusiast, NYC Be warned this property is not safe. ...
http://www.tripadvisor.com/AllReview...14-Madrid.html

Travel - Search for 'vacation' - The New York Times
With the bars, restaurants and streets of downtown Madrid bustling with life into the early hours ... ABOUT: MADRID (SPAIN), MUGGINGS, ROBBERIES AND THEFTS ...
travel.nytimes.com/.../travsearch.html?cs=0&page=8&sort=newest&am p;term=vacation&type=articles

Security - Madrid Warnings - VirtualTourist.com
In Madrid, there have been increasing incidents of mugging/strangulations. Unfortunately, I learnt it the hard way.... in Plaza Espana on Saturday night. ...
http://www.virtualtourist.com/.../Co...rity-BR-6.html

Mugged Near Plaza de Colon in Broad Daylight! - Topic Powered by ...But yeah, I saw on a night-time news program just a couple of weeks ago that focused on the increased mugging in Madrid. It said muggers are getting so bold ...
spaintalk.multimadrid.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7451030511/m/9031012511

Crime Takes a Vacation (Yours); Madrid: Petty crime is on the rise ...With the bars, restaurants and streets of downtown Madrid bustling with life into ... But the city's pickpockets, muggers and scam artists are skilled at ...
query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0DE6D81138F935A25754C0A9669C8B 63

We Have The Most Fun: 04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004I am so excited to get (hopefully) some sunshine; it has been dreary, and rainy, and cold here in Madrid for months. So, other than muggings and fire ...
wehavethemostfun.blogspot.com/2004_04_01_archive.html

TESOL-SPAIN Convention 2006Like every large city, Madrid has it share of pickpockets /muggers and even the hardened residents are not immune to this. For English speaking people there ...
www.tesol-spain.org/convention2006/mad.htm

Spain - Google Books Resultby Damien Simonis - 2005 - Travel - 900 pages
Barcelona, Madrid and Seville have the worst reputations for theft and, on occasion, muggings. The main things to guard against are pickpockets, ...
books.google.com/books?isbn=1740597001...

in Spain & Madrid - AngloINFO Madrid ...... lost property and crimes such as muggings and neighbourhood disputes. ... AngloINFO Madrid is your Madrid information source, for everyone living in ...
madrid.angloinfo.com/information/22/em_no.asp - 24k

and there are hundreds and hundreds of such posts.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:54 AM

And these Fodor threads include many personal stories, including, most telling of all, from several local Madrilinos and Barcelonans:

3. Europe: What is going to surprise me about Barcelona (positive or negative)?
149 responses; most recent on 10/16/2007, 01:46 pm

4. Europe: Mugged in Spain
42 responses; most recent on 10/16/2007, 01:46 pm

6. Europe: Mugged in Madrid
48 responses; most recent on 10/16/2007, 01:45 pm
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:37 AM

PalenQ, I'm sorry about what happened to your sister-in-law, and I hold no brief for Madrid or Barcelona (I've been in Madrid twice, with no ill effects, but never in Barcelona), but if Google were the ultimate statistician of crime rates, I would never return to Rome, where I have been over 40 times and never encountered a problem.

Google hits:
Rome muggings: 224,000
Madrid muggings: 93,100
Barcelona muggings: 107,000

People who get mugged or pickpocketed tend to report it; very few people report it when they are *not* mugged or pickpocketed.

That said, it is always advisable to be cautious.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Just got back from 3 weeks in Spain. Six days of the trip in Madrid. I found the Spanish people to be incredibly helpful and kind. I'm not saying that these incidents don't happen. Just be smart. Don't let people invade your personal space. Be aware of what is happening around you as you would in New York or any other large city. The Spanish tourist office in NY has fabulous walking tour booklets that they will send out on request. We didn't see them anywhere in Spain. Between the art museums, walking and walking in the city and 2 daytrips-Toledo and Segovis-very easy with public transportation you can easily fill 10 days and have an interesting and wonderful time.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Zerlina - food for thought. thanks
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:13 AM

My previous posting:
"Where do these stats come from. Spain, including Madrid and Barcelona, is one of the safest countries in Europe. Sure you're going to find some mugging, stealing, and small crimes but the big crimes are not high compared other countries."

I still don't see the big crime stats for Madrid or Barcelona. How many killings? How many bank robbings? And even more, how many rapes.

I still believe that Madrid is a safe city. I ran a check for "Crime Stats for Europe" and basically, the UK is one of the tops. Here's the countries I found for reported crimes. The UK, Ireland, Nederlands, and Denmark. The Danes are so truthful, they would certainly report any crime.

Franco kept the Spanish people from causing serious crimes. The Guardia would shoot any criminal very quickly and afterwards Spain became crime free. Even though Franco is dead, the large crimes never started again.

Blackduff
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Blackduff - we are talking about crimes against tourists

not overall crime rates

Scotland is the most violent place in europe and perhaps the world but the crime is gang on gang and no impact on tourists.

The average tourist has a much higher chance of being mugged in Madrid and Barcelona than most if not all European cities (Rome perhaps but I am talking about tourists so i'd have to examine that stat more)

that's all and to say that the city is as safe as any IMO is to do a disservice to tourists.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM

I agree with PalQ that 10 days is 8 days to long, but not because of crime, I just didn't care for Madrid. But I agree there are alot of day trips out of there that I would look into if staying that length of time. DH and I had read alot about the muggings etc and are happy to report that we did not have any problem ourselves, but I realize plenty of people do. Just be on your guard at all times, don't wear flashy jewelry and carry lots of cash. I generally do not carry a purse, and DH had a drop wallet in his pants and credit card elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents.......PS loved Barcelona.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Oops, should have said 'don't carry lots of cash"
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Oh my God people are being mugged on Google now!

Even though I have been Madrid a few times I spent six days there recently. I went to a museum every other day. The Reina Sofia and Thyssen are each half a day however.

The new wing to the Prado will be open when you go. And you should visit some of the towns around Madrid including Cuenca. Please note the wind can whip up on the Plains of Castille during December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -