Segway Tour-Paris

Search

Segway Tour-Paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Segway Tour-Paris

Has anyone done that tour and if so, what was it like, and is it worth the $70E?
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 04:13 AM

I suspect that there won't be any tours on the Segway for a while, I heard they were all recalled earlier this week for some safety hazard.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 04:21 AM

We took the tour with Mike's in August of this year. It was definitely the highlight of our week in Paris. We did a night tour and since it was at the end of our stay, we'd seen most of the sights on the normal tour so the guide was very flexible - we also had 4 ex-pats in the group. Loved it - but you do have to be careful - the training we go was adequate and you can get helmets. Unlike the US, there are no waivers to sign. I asked one of the ex-pats about it and he just said that the europeans are not litigation crazy like we are in the states. Be ready to have your picture taken constantly! Have not heard of any recalls - just saw segways being promoted and demonstrated at the US Grand Prix.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 05:08 AM

From Segway's own web site:

"U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Segway LLC Announce Voluntary Recall to Upgrade Software on Segway? Human Transporters (HTs)
.. .
"Hazard: Under certain operating conditions, particularly when the batteries are near the end of charge, some Segway HTs may not deliver enough power, allowing the rider to fall. This can happen if the rider speeds up abruptly, encounters an obstacle, or continues to ride after receiving a low-battery alert.

"Incidents/Injuries: Segway LLC has received three reports of riders falling that may be related to this condition, including one report of a consumer who sustained a head injury requiring stitches."

In our local papers, this story was illustrated with photos of George Bush falling off his Segway last summer. Apparently his fall wasn't sufficient to prompt the recall, but combined with 2 more, it passed some safety threshhold. I hear he's still not eating pretzels.

Since the recall is voluntary, perhaps the French are hanging onto theirs.

http://www.segway.com.edgesuite.net/...ecall_001.html
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 06:22 AM

http://www.parissegwaytours.com/About.htm
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 09:20 AM

I leave for Europe later today and segways are on our Paris itinerary. I emailed Mike's and thankfully they had their segways fixed last week!!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 04:59 AM
MGB

Just got back from Paris on Friday night and had done the Segway with Mike's bikes on Wednesday. Had a terrific time. The 4 of us joined with 4 others for a day tour. Our tour guide Ali was fantastic in training and touring (she is a recent college grad from Texas).
They had not had any problems before the news story broke and had already had a software update when we got there.
We did have to wear helmets and they spent considerable time training us. After 5 hours we did not want to turn them in. The 4 of us ranged from 56 to 63 but others were in 20s, 30s, and 40s.
I had a stumble off when I wasn't paying close attention (similar when you are riding a bike and jump off). All of us had a great time and yes it is expensive but how often can you do something really different and see Paris at the same time.

Oh and our tour started in the rain. They do have ponchos but we had our own. It was funny that even on a rainy day in Paris, everyone in the group was smiling and having a good time. One member said that when ever it rains now, she will recall our segway ride and smile!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 10:17 AM
stephanie_p

Seen these silly contraptions about and understand with the little French I know, the locals have whispered, "Stupid, fat, lazy Americans."

I guess popular with some, not with others. Would look better at Disney Paris.

They are limited in where they can go, as they can't climb stairs and don't work well on cobbled streets. You see the usual sights you can get to see on foot anyway. How do you go into the Notre Dame to see the stained glass windows, park them outside? or maybe roll inside?

Spend the €70 on a couple of fine meals after burning the calories from walking. Or taking a few Paris Walks for €10 a pop with local guides and really see insider Paris on foot. Or add €5 extra and explore museums and Paris with the fabulous Michael Osman, the wonder guide of Paris.

Just a couple of discreet and classier ideas.

Gimmicky idea, but ideal for people who have serious problems with walking any lengths, obese or have a lack of imagination to explore a city by discovering little alley ways, hidden passages and interesting areas.

Good luck in Montmartre!

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 12:28 PM

Gee Stephanie B. That wasn't very nice. Most people on this board want information, not a lesson on how you think they should behave. But, I guess I am telling you how I think YOU should behave.
We went on a bike tour to Versailes with Mike's. It was close to the most favorite part of our trip. I bet I would love the Segway trip. But, I am lazy and a few pounds overweight... not real discreet or classy either.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 03:30 PM

We almost did the Mike's Bikes evening tour last time, and it is definitely on our list for next trip. Highly recommended by a friend who has never steered us wrong.

stephanie, there are people who have trouble walking because of physical or respiratory illness. Segway could be a great way for them to enjoy a "walking" tour of Paris. Statistics indicate that most of us will be "disabled" at some point in our lives, so kindness might be a smarter approach than sneering.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 07:43 AM
MGB

Stephanie
You may be interested to know that many Parisiens are also taking the Segway tour. We did not have any on ours but it is interesting that most Parisiens were smiling as we traveled by. It is an orientation to sights tour, that if you like you go back to do an in depth visit. It appeals to all ages.

It was a lot of fun, when we stopped we got informative input from the guide.

We've done walking tours, bateau tours, and visited many museums. This was something different, a challenge to try and see how technology is finding new ways to do things.

We did not do steps, but alot of people cannot do steps!!!

All the people doing it have smiles on their faces so it cannot be all bad!!!!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 05:29 PM

<i>Libert&eacute;, Egalit&eacute;, Fraternit&eacute;</i>?and Segway

http://slate.msn.com/id/2082835/entry/0/
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:18 AM

That is interesting that Mike's requires that you wear the helmets.

On the bike tour, although helmets were avilable, the helmets were offered in a way that discouraged their use and no one on my tour used them.

Keith