Rome - Prati or San Giovanni

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome - Prati or San Giovanni

We are busy booking our self-catering accommodation in Rome. We don't know the city at all, so we need some help.

Our final choice is between two very similar apartments but on opposite sides of the city. One is in Prati (?), near Lepanto Metro station. The other is in San Giovanni, near San Giovanni metro station.

Which should we choose, and why?
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:00 AM

Both areas offer a unique experience in Rome but I prefer and recommend something much closer to the city-center unless your budget is seriously restricted.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

To NYCFoodSnob - thanks for your quick reply - yes, the budget is restricted, so we would still like your opinion - and those of any others who care to give them!!
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:17 AM

Hi, My suggestion of the two you offered would be the Prati area. Not knowing the address it's a bit difficult to gage but the Prati is the area around the Vatican. Last time I was there I explored this area more and found some wonderful deli's for carry out which I plan to return to when I'm there in May.

You can get to the historic center by crossing the river. Planning your destinations into the center will be more necessary than if you were actually staying in the center and can afford the time to wander. Also since you would be by the Metro station "Lepanto" this can easily bring you to the center to either Piazza Barbarini or the Coliseum.

Good luck, E
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:23 AM

Well personally I'd choose San Giovanni.
Apart from having a magnificent cathedral dominating the skyline, it's more convenient for the centre, - only a 5-10 min bus/tram ride from the Colosseum/Piazza Venezia - and has one of the best gelaterie in Rome at nearby Piazza Re' di Roma .

Steve
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:25 AM

If it matters to you, Prati is a bit more upscale than San Giovanni. Many nice homes, good shopping and restaurants (not so many restaurants but they're there if you look)are in the Prati neighborhood. Also, it's a shorter walk across the river to the historic center than walking from the San Giovanni neighborhood. Both Lepanto and San Giovanni are on Metro line A which can take you to the Spagna stop near the Spanish Steps and Piazza Barberini near the Trevi Fountain. To get to the Colosseo metro stop which is on line B, you would need to change at Termini. San Giovanni is a fine, safe working class area and does have some good inexpensive trattorie and osterie.