Where to stay in Rome?

Feb 4th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Rome?

I am traveling with a group of 13 to Rome in June. We have booked a trip with Cosmos (Splendors of Italy) for 10 days in all (this including flights from Chicago), but have decided to go a few days earlier to tour a little on our own. Does anyone know a great location that is safe (I have been told some horror stories about wandering in the city)and not terribly expensive, as we are trying to keep the costs down as much as possible. I have read about a Suite Dreams hotel, but not sure if this is located in the area that we could walk around. We are interested in seeing the historical usuals during these two days. Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.
Feb 4th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Please explain "not terribly expensive"--this is a relative term. Also, any idea how the 13 might need to break up into rooms?
Feb 4th, 2009, 07:05 AM

Hi

i have stayed in 3 different parts of Rome.

Near the Vatican we had an apt, campo di fiore we had an apt. and near the Trevi I stayed at Hotel Julia.

Of all 3 I loved the Campo di Fiore area best. The market was so full of wonderful things to eat and all the little store near it were a blast to look around in.

we (my sister and myself) felt perfectly safe even at night as there were always alot of people around.

good luck and have fun planning.
Feb 4th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Most people prefer to be in the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiore area. Staying in this triangle puts you within walking distance of most of the sights.

Horror stories?...have these people even been to Rome? Be vigilant in regards to pickpockets, otherwise don't worry. Wandering on your own is the best way to discover the city.

Please provide a $ amount to better able everyone to offer recommendations. This is a small, no frills hotel in a great location for sightseeing. We've stayed there twice and found the employees very helpful...others have not. It's considered a lower cost accommodation. http://www.smeraldoroma.com

I hope you enjoy your trip.
Feb 4th, 2009, 09:34 AM

When in Rome we wander around at all hours of the day and night. From termini station area to Vatican area at 2am. Stumbling across town on New Years Eve. I have never felt threatened, in fact that is one of the things I love about Rome, it just feels safe.

Yes, I caught a pickpocket trying to open my fanny pack on the metro, but a good thumb twist stopped that quickly.
Feb 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Oh, being from Florida I will guarantee you that there is more to be worried about near Disneyworld than just about anywhere in Europe.
Feb 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM

I have always preferred the area around the Spanish Steps, but I agree with the other posters that all the areas named, and most of Rome, are safe. (Pickpockets excluded; they seem to be a part of the landscape) Good luck.
Feb 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

We are looking at trying to keep the cost of the hotel room under $200 (preferably around $150 if we can get something decent for that price). Room accomodations are 1 single, 3 doubles and 2 triples. Thank you to everyone for the feedback regarding safety...not sure who or what to believe as I have never visited before. Any more feedback regarding hotels would be greatly appreciated.
Feb 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Look at Hotel Genio, which is at Piazza Navona. I just checked and they listed doubles for 170 E. in June.

We enjoyed staying there several years ago. It is in such a great location, and the rooftop terrace was a good place to gather (we were five couples).

We have also stayed at Residenza Canali, which is just around the corner from the Genio.

We stayed there last April and our room was 180 E., a special rate for paying cash in euros.

The hotel has just a few rooms, and no elevator, so may not be what your group needs.

We have also stayed at Hotel Nazionale, near the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, too.

We were very happy with the hotel, and sometimes they have "stay three nights pay for two" specials.

http://www.hotelnazionale.it/

We've never felt unsafe in Rome.

Byrd
Feb 4th, 2009, 12:48 PM

You might try Aberdeen Hotel

http://www.travel.it/roma/aberdeen/

I stayed there in solo 2005 and am going again in December. The staff is very nice, the rooms are good sizes, they include a breakfast buffet, and the location is great.

It's catty-corner (or kitty-corner, if you prefer) from a police station ... can't get much safer. One of the staff told me that Rick Steves' tours sometimes stay there, so it must he must think that his American tour members would feel secure there.

Plus, the rate is within your range and they are used to dealing with groups.
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Hi

Why not check in to your Cosmos hotel earlier. We've done this before. You can get the rate that Cosmos is charged at. That way you don't have to change hotels. You'll probably find though that the Cosmos hotel is not that convenient for sightseeing on foot so you'll have to take public transport. Check with your Cosmos booking agent on the hotel rate for extra stays.
Feb 4th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Have stayed at both the Aberdeen and the Nazionale. The Aberdeen will be cheaper. The Nazionale is nearer the Pantheon,but with your group for the price the Aberdeen might be a better choice. On our first rip to Rome we stayed 3 nights at the Nazionale as there was a special deal. Then we moved to the Aberdeen for the last 4 nights. Both have very helpful staff.
Both are safe.