Back WIth a Question About Paris Rental Apartment Protocol

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After swinging wildly through the arrondisments and thinking much more carefully about what was important to us, thanks to good Fodorite advice, we came to the conclusion this was the apartment for us!

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p182107

At the risk of sounding irredeemably indecisive, I'm concerned by the terms of the contract.
We're being asked to pay the full amount of the rental up front as well as an 800E security deposit (this is all due in 24 hours).We're traveling mid-March.
I've booked many villas in the Caribbean and an apartment in Venice and never been asked to do business this way.
Our alternative choice had been this-

http://www.myparisvisit.com/#/apartments/46/

much less my "style" but in a good location and less expensive with the 20% discount. They required a 50% deposit and 600 Euros on arrival to be returned at departure.
That seems more reasonable.
Any thoughts from those who have rented apartments?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi welch,

talk about apples and pears! the first one is 2 bedroomed up market and very swish in prime position; the 2nd one is one bedroomed and smaller in a much less prestigous [though interesting] location.

so I'm not sure that if the first one is your ideal thta the 2nd one is really an option. are these truly the only apartments you can find in Paris for mid-march?

as for the terms of the contract, full payment 4-6 weeks in advance of the let is the norm in the UK and with bookings made through UK agents. what is a bit unusual is the security deposit being required up front - usually you hand that over in cash on arrival.

the reviews seem good and the flat looks great. if it's the apartment you want, I wouldn't let the contract terms put me off.

regards, ann
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM

I don't agree that one usually hands the security deposit over in arrival. There is no norm to that, and I don't see that as so unusual. Being asked to pay up front for a rental in March is very normal, that's only a few weeks ago.

Many many agencies require payment in full in advance, they can't risk people just not showing up. If you don't like iot, though, go with another, but I don't see anything unusual about it. What are you planniong -- to cancel perhaps? Or do you think that if you get there and don't like it, you will just leave? maybe I guess you could do that
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

If you do a search on my name you'll see the first apartment we were considering if you really want to see the schizophrenia involved!
Sigh...
I don't need 2 bedrooms, just 1 and I'd love to be really central but my budget is stretched at 1300E a week and I have definite champagne tastes (the second apartment aside- my husband likes that one and the bathroom is acceptable).
Add to this my need for a bathtub and I'm striking out. The week of March 13 appears uncharacteristically busy in Paris!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

It's not the full prepayment that surprises me, although I haven't been asked to do that before.
It's the prepayment of the large security deposit in cash.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM

welch

I guess I see your issues, but since you don't need a two bedroom, I'm confused.

Have you called any of the popular agencies (I see that Paris Perfect has a US number) and asked for a really nice one bedroom with a bathtub in your price range, available for your week?

When I couldn't find the right apartment in Venice, I wrote to a couple of agencies and asked for what I wanted.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have done this.
I just finished a correspondence with Paris A La Carte but all they had was apartments with showers. Paris Perfect is quite a bit more expensive as is Chez Vous, although both have lovely apartments.
I have no objection to a larger apartment, if the price is right and the apartment is what I'm looking for.
Further thoughts are always welcome!