Segway Tours?

Apr 25th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Segway Tours?

We're going to New Orleans this summer (not our first time) and thought this might be a neat way to see the city. However the tours last 4 hours (though there is a "stop" at Mardi Gras World). Has anyone done (or know someone who has) a Segway tour in New Orleans or anywhere else?

I'm wondering how easy it is (saw one post about there being accidents) and if it gets tiring/boring just standing on the thing. Also, anyone know if the tours are narrated? I would assume so (I suppose I should check w/the tour company) as I can't imagine just riding around that long. Really, any feedback or thoughts on this are welcome as I don't know anyone who has done one before. Thanks!
Apr 25th, 2005, 09:54 AM

I have done the Segway tour in Paris. Don't know who runs the tour in New Orleans, but I imagine it would be similar as to the one I took in Paris.

On our tour, there was a guide doing narration at various stops. Otherwise, he was leading our group from site to site, making sure we all safely got across the intersections, etc.

The Segway was pretty easy to learn - basically you step up onto the platform, and the Segway moves by you leaning forward and back. Turns are made with a little knob to the side. It takes very little shift in your weight to get the thing moving, so a basic sense of balance is required. Some people in our group took to it immediately - a couple others had problems. One guy somehow went over a bump wrong in our training session and fell off. However, he got back on and was fine the rest of the tour.

It was pretty hard on my feet and calves - standing in one position for 4 hours without being able to do much to stretch or move. However, keep in mind that we had been walking all over Italy and Paris for about 2 1/2 weeks by that point - not to mention walking all over the 6th that afternoon prior to the tour. I suppose if your feet aren't as abused as mine were, the tour shouldn't be bad at all for you.

That being said, the tour was fabulous. The Segway was really fun - but the tour was really more about riding the Segway in Paris, rather than about seeing the various sites in depth.

I would say the Segway tour is a fun version of a short sightseeing bus tour - the type that drives you around the city where you get short, cursory stops at places for photo ops and a quick narration.
Apr 25th, 2005, 10:01 AM

I saw a group of maybe 8 or 10 people in the Fishermen's Wharf area in SF (yes, a local was there! I confess...) on those Segways... they looked like a group of standing-up wheelchair users to me. The leader was far ahead, most likely people in the back couldn't hear him.

I wonder how would they take pictures if they needed to hold on for dear life? And it was visibly hard to get around people on the crowded sidewalk.

Sorry, did not look attractive to me.
Apr 25th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Dan

I've already seen bloodied tourists in the french quarter after a Segway mishap.

I wouldn't do it.
Apr 25th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

So I'm thinking this might not be a good tour if we've been taking advantage of the no open container law already that day? Definitely something to keep in mind.
Apr 25th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Isn't that hard on your back to stand in one positions for such a long time? Seems like walking would be easier??
Apr 25th, 2005, 12:57 PM

What is the no open container law? Are you trying to say Segway is a vehicle
Jun 27th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Did anything ever come of this? we are looking at doing this same New Orleans Tour next week when we are there. Thanks
Jun 27th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Segway tours are also offered in the Portland, Maine area. Only licensed drivers can participate, so younger teens cannot go...
Jun 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM

We did a Segway tour in Paris and it was a highlight of our trip! They are easy to learn quickly, and great fun. No problem navigating (even on busy sidewalks) while enjoying 360 degrees of glorious scenery.

They take only groups of eight and the leader is quite flexible. There are stops at the major sights with a bit of commentary. The guide will take photos of you if you like. We stopped whenever anyone requested for photo ops. We didn't find riding them for 4 hours very tiring at all (after walking all over Paris for 10 days) and we're over 50. Trick is to just relax.

Our leader stayed a bit ahead just to check crossings and walkways for anything unexpected to ensure that we wouldn't have to make any unnecessary sudden stops. She only provided commentary when we stopped or we all slowed down so she could point out something.

I'd described this as more of a scenery tour than sightseeing tour, though we did see plenty of sights.

This was a lot of fun! Best was being able to cover so much distance and be able to really enjoy the scenery (much better than can be accomplished while walking).

You do not have to hang on for dear life. We left with the sun shining. As the sun set and it got chillier, I was easily able to get my jacket out of the pouch and put it on without even slowing down.

We plan to do a Segway Tour in every city we visit they're offered. Can't wait for Chicago in September.
Jun 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM

FainaAgain asked about open container laws and whether Segway was considered a vehicle.

Many areas have open container laws that apply to ANY use of open container, even if you are standing in your front lawn.

<editorial>I personally don't think that Segways and pedestrians mix; that their potential speed puts them more in a league with bicycles than pedestrians. They ARE a motorized vehicle and should be treated as such, including having both RIGHTS and RESPONSIBILITIES on the road. </editorial>
Jun 27th, 2005, 12:28 PM
OO

They are doing one in San Antonio now, based as a tenant in my DH's hotel, I just found out, and I'm thinking of doing it. It'd be fun providing they do not go on the narrow Riverwalk which is hard enough to navigate on foot without falling in some days, so I can't imagine being on that scooter and navigating around people. Can't you just see scooter and all flying right into the river?! LOL That'd be a picture.
Jul 7th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Our trip is now less than a week away and I still can't decide if I want to do this! Dh is all for it, but I'm worried I won't take to the Segway and be stressed out the whole time. On the other hand, it seems like a fun way to see some sites. As I mentioned, we've been to NO before so we are looking for something different to try. We'd also like to visit Mardi Gras World which is part of the Segway tour so that would work out well.

bbzz - If you are back from your trip and did the Segway tour, please let me know what you thought!! Or anyone else for that matter.

Jul 7th, 2005, 06:10 AM

I've never been on these tours and I hadn't actually really heard of them until I saw it mentioned on the Fodors travelwire.
I don't normally enjoy tours as I like being able to follow my whimsy--- that often involves heading down wayward alleys and the like..
But that's me.. here's the link to the story-- it's helpful because it lists like 15 cities that have segway tours with links to their websites.
http://www.fodors.com/wire/archives/001131.cfm
Jul 7th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

I just visited the Segway Tours website and it indicates that tours run Rain or Shine (they give you ponchos if it rains). I think that might be the deal breaker - I can't imagine riding one of those things around for 4 hours in the rain (poncho or not!).