Scotland Itinerary

Oct 16th, 2002, 05:58 PM
cathryn

Scotland Itinerary

I am planning a trip to England & Scotland and need help with the Scotland portion. Here is what I've got

Day 1 From Carlisle thru Caerverlock Castle, Dumfries (my ancestors are from there), Drumlanrig Castle, drive to Edinburgh

Day 2 Edinburgh

Day 3 Stirling, Falkland, St. Andrews, drive to Blairgowrie for night (is this too far?)

Day 4 Braemar, Ballater, Cawdor Castle, Nairn into Inverness for night.

Day 5 Drive to Isle of Skye

Day 6 Isle of Skye, ferry to Mallaig, drive to Ft. William for night.

Day 7 Glencoe, Oban into Glasgow for night

Day 8 fly home

Is this too much? Opinions of Isle of Skye versus Mull? Thanks!

Oct 17th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Sheila

IT's an awful lot for a week, but quite doable...

Skye wins over Mull every time.

A day for Edinburgh?

Your ancestors come from Caerlaverock? or just Dumfries?

Oct 17th, 2002, 12:54 AM
hanl

You might regret only having a day in Edinburgh, and the same is true for Skye. Also Stirling, Falkland and St Andrews in a day? You'll be rushing around trying to see everything... And you do have an awful lot of driving ahead of you. I would recommend allowing yourself a bit more "rest time" rather then trying to see absolutely everything.

Oct 17th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Snoopy

If you like to drive, of course it's not too much. Growing up (which many would argue that Im still in the process) I took driving trips across the USA with my parents. I have fond memories of seeing lots of country side and covering lots of ground.

There are many who frequent this forum that would say your itinerary calls for 3 to 5 weeks to do "properly" whatever "properly" implies. My only concern about long driving days is that I hate to look for a place to stay after dark and particularly if it's raining. Lodging in parts of Scotland can be tough to find if you are picky.

Even if you know where you plan to stay, you'd better have some good driving directions especially in Edinburgh and Glasgow. We drove into Edinburgh from the north and spent almost 90 minutes trying to find the Prestonfield House which, once we found it, we felt pretty stupid because it was on a main road, the A7 I think, south of town.

Oct 17th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Cathryn

You don't know how happy I am to have someone to help me with this.

My ancestors are Blackstocks (from Dumfries)who did affiliate with Clan Maxwell (Caerlaverock Castle) at some point. My mother is coming with me on the trip and this is of most interest to her.

So the questions is, assuming I don't want to spend all of my time in the car - what to eliminate?

Day 1 Dumfries
Day 2 Edinburgh
Day 3 Edinburgh
Day 4 Stirling, Falkland, St. Andrews (nighting there to allow for a full day)
Day 5 Forfar, Braemar, Ballater
or Pitlochry (comments?)
Then what?

My departure on the eighth day from Glasgow is unfortunately not negotiable. My inlaws will only keep the kids for so long! Thanks for the help!

Oct 17th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Cathryn

You don't know how happy I am to have someone to help me with this.

My ancestors are Blackstocks (from Dumfries)who did affiliate with Clan Maxwell (Caerlaverock Castle) at some point. My mother is coming with me on the trip and this is of most interest to her.

So the questions is, assuming I don't want to spend all of my time in the car - what to eliminate?

Day 1 Dumfries
Day 2 Edinburgh
Day 3 Edinburgh
Day 4 Stirling, Falkland, St. Andrews (nighting there to allow for a full day)
Day 5 Forfar, Braemar, Ballater
or Pitlochry (comments?)
Then what?

My departure on the eighth day from Glasgow is unfortunately not negotiable. My inlaws will only keep the kids for so long! Thanks for the help!

Oct 17th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Barbara

cathryn, what time of year are you planning to go? This can make quite a difference because in winter there are a lot fewer daylight hours so you wouldn't be able to cover as much ground. In summer, when it can be light until after 10pm, there's a lot more time for touring.

Oct 17th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Pete

I'm trying to be helpful and I see a major problem with your itineray. You are waayyy over planning. either get rid of the itinerary or use it only as general plan. In all of my trips to Europe I never had an itinerary and I have always had a good time and an adventure. If you meet up with some interesting travelers or you find a special place you didn't know about you will be saying "that doesn't fit into my itinerary" and you will lose out. The presious Itinerary will win. Just go with the flow when you get to Scotland and you will have a great time like I did.

Oct 17th, 2002, 10:19 AM
LJ

Pitlochry was a big hit on a recent trip we made to Scotland with my Mum. It has a very authentic feel (not touristy), an excellent store for kilts and other garments and some great B & B's.

Oct 17th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Sheila

Cathryn, following on from the response you gave I have a number of points.

1. If you really know your family history, I think you may find one day in Dumfries-shire quite frustrating. Take two. Danna, queen of the south west will give you myriad reasons to do so. It takes 20 minutes to get from carlise to the edge of the county. Take that day and most of the rst to see the place.

At the end of Day 2 (about 7pm, say) get in the car and drive to Edinburgh. Have a good night's rest then have a great day. On the assumption your email address is not a fake, I'll send you some stuff.

If you were being very casual. You could easily spend 4 days in the south west and 4 in Edinburgh, then go home. Since that seems to be not your style you might like to thinkBR>
Day 4 Go from Edinburgh up though Fife, taking in Falkland and St Andrews to Braemar (unless you've got a reason for Blairgowrie?)

Day 5 Braemar, Ballater, Tomintoul, Aviemore, Skye (a long day, but not beyond the wit of man, and mostly scenic)

Day 6 Skye

Day 7. Early ferry to Mallaig, through Ardnamurchan to Corran ferry, through Glencoe and south through Balquhidder into Glasgow for night

Day 8 fly home

Let me repeat. You could do what you outlined. This would simply be my take on it.

Oct 17th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Danna

Cathryn... tee hee... that Sheila is right yet again ( I can't wait to meet her in person.) If your family is from Dumfrieshire (or you like it there) one day will NOT make it. Trust me on this, there are more things to see and experience. This is the an amazing area! We visit Scotland to be "IN SCOTLAND" and Dumfrieshire and Galloway is it. If you get a chance have a pint at the Masonic Arms in Kirkcudbright. I suggest you think about roaming the Southwest at your leisure. I hope one day to visit Stirling, and St. Andrews is moving WAY into the next century. My advice, keep your itinerary close, enjoy that wonderful land, and return.

Oct 21st, 2002, 06:58 PM
Terry

Sheila, we are also planning a trip to Scotland next summer, for the first time. We will be spending time with family in Blairgowrie. I would appreciate any information that you could send my way.

I am treading into unfamiliar territory, so anything would be of help.
Thanks much !

Oct 25th, 2002, 02:13 AM
Sheila

Send me an email and I'll get back to you, Terry

Search this Thread