Scotland in Sept???

Old Jun 6th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland in Sept???

My husband and I are planning a 30th anniversary trip to Scotland in Sept. 2012. We will be taking the train north after he competes in Ironman Wales. I was planning on starting our adventure in Glasgow, traveling by car up into the Highlands for a few days and ending in Edinburgh before flying home. Many forums discourage traveling to Glasgow, is it worth the trip or should we start in Edinburgh and avoid Glasgow all together? I have driven in the UK on two other trips, including in the Yorkshire Dales, is the driving any more difficult through the Highlands? Will the tourist traffic be crazy this time of year? What would be a reasonable itinerary given about 6 days. We would be interested in some castles, hiking (if he is able after his race), history, distilleries and maybe some gardens for me. We are both huge Harry Potter fans, him especially. This will probably be the one and only time I get him to the UK so I would like to make it memorable.
Thinking I should travel by train from Wales to Edinburgh and head out to the Highlands, perhaps via St. Andrews from there. Any Suggestions?
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 09:45 PM

I don't know how anyone who is neither you nor hubby can decide if Glasgow is worth a visit. Edinburgh is a top-notch place and should be prominent on the itinerary.

>

Gardens are frequently found with castles. History is all over the place - specify. Edinburgh has a Castle, a Palace, Royal Mile Whiskies, Cadenhead shop, The World of Whisky and Princes Street Gardens. Glasgow has no castles. Harry Potter stuff is more Western Highlands, St. Andrews is on the other side of the country from there, the Aberdeenshire Castle Trail is closer to St Andrews.

>

This question is ambiguous. Driving in Scotland is different from driving in England because the population density is far lower, the largest "highways" have two lanes in each direction (where I am, that's a side street), random tractors pop onto the roads with little warning, and main roads ("A" roads like the A9 or the A93) rarely have multiple lanes in either direction.

>

Why? It may be crazy in July (Highland Games) or August (Edinburgh's numerous festivals) but anything after early September (if that) should be quite tame.

>

That could suck. Trains from Wales to Manchester or Liverpool are slow and you then need to change at Crewe for a train to Edinburgh or Glasgow. Worse yet, you'll be starting on the far west coast of Wales from the site of the Ironman, will have to get to Swansea for a major rail line. The train journeys exceed 7 hours.

Google flights.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:07 PM

Many forums discourage traveling to Glasgow

Why?
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:53 PM

>Many forums discourage traveling to Glasgow

Why?<

Same crap we get on here all the time Alan. Most of them want their preconceived notion of Scotland. Glasgow's "gritty" don't you know. Shortbread tin Edinburgh wins out then they troop lemming like up the A9 to the dreary Loch Ness. Still it leaves Glasgow and the west coast for the natives.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 01:26 AM

Whether or not Glasgow's worth it, depends on how much time you have for Edinburgh and Glasgow. Anything more than three days merits at least one day in Glasgow. What Weegie says is a bit true, but the reality is "youse tourists" really can't be expected to do Scotland without Edinburgh. Glasgow has great architecture, super shopping, good theatres, the Burrell Collection and the Mitchell gallery and wonderful people. Edinburgh has history (and some of the above)

Driving is driving. Drive to the conditions and you'll be fine. Do 60mph on a single track road you don't know and you'll be toast. Most tourists (except in Edinburgh) will have gone home by September.

6 days is not much. If that's what you have for Scotland, try 1 day Glasgow, a day meandering to near Fort William; the Jacobite train to Mallaig and back, stop a night somewhere as far as you want to drive afterwards towards Edinburgh, finish the Edinburgh journey in the morning and finish your trip there.

That could get you Inverary Castle, Crarae Gardens, the gardens at Kinlochlaich (and you could stay there the night after Glasgow) . There's no time to hike in all this.
(Maybe Arthur's Seat) Oban or Ben Nevis Distillery- you don't need more than 1, and you are constantly steeped in history.

The reason for the Jacobite is it's the Harry Potter train and route. You can visit the Elephant Cafe in Edinburgh too.

I'd fly or train to Glasgow and pick up a car there, dropping it in Edinburgh. You could do everything I said by train, but you will restrict what you can do by time.

You can't do all the above and St Andrews too, unless you lop a day off Edinburgh (or drop Glasgow).
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 02:11 AM

Boy, is sheila's answer terrific!