Reload this Page >

Is Matt Barretts Travel site for real

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:24 PM
spratt

Has anyone used George the taxi driver and are the suggestions reliable in the web site. There is certainly a huge amount of info

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:44 PM
Thyra

I used Matt Barrett's web site extensively while researching and booking our Greece 2000 trip. We stayed at the hotel Attalos, as recommended by him and were pleased, basic, well located accomodations. My in-laws who met up with us in Greece, did use the services of George the Taxi-Driver and though they considered it expensive, thoroughly enjoyed their trip to Delphi and were pleased with the service. We did have problems with the rental car company recommended by Matt, (long story) but when I emailed Matt to let him know what happened, and to just put a little warning out there so that other's would not share our experience, he couldn't have been nicer, offering to mediate if necessary(it wasn't) and showing genuine concern and a willingness to act our our behalf. Mostly his web site is a virtual treasure trove of general information on Greece and I found it extremely helpful and overall accurate. Caveat, but always be sure to go with your gut instincts, I had emailed the travel agent recommended on his site and was responded to very rudely! Needless to say we DID not book with them.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:58 PM
Martha

I used Matt Barretts travel site as well when I planned a trip to Greece in 2000. I found his descriptions of the different islands very accurate and stayed at several of the hotels described and recommended by him and were pleased with all of them.<BR>Martha<BR>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:07 PM
Sue

We used Fantasy Travel, mentioned on Matt's site, for an "island package" to Mykonos and Santorini and were very pleased with their service.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:09 PM
Diane

I used Matt's recommendations and was pleased with the exception of a problem encountered with a jewelry store in Athens. Yes, he is for real, and his information is mostly reliable.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:06 PM
Kay

We used Matt's site before our trip to Greece a few years ago and pre-booked two taxi rides with George, from the airport on arrival and back to the airport when we were flying to Mykonos. It was much more expensive (about 3 times the cost) than a normal cab but it was nice to know we were 'being met' on arrival. George actually didn't turn up, it was a friend of his.<BR>Kay

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:49 AM
Sheila

I used the web site to book accommodation and a car through an agent Matt recommended on Lesvos- very good experience.<BR><BR>We then used George- or rather his friend Paul- at very short notice for a long layover on the way home. Very good quality experience. Pretty damn expensive, tho'

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:39 AM
Sandy

Another "yes" vote! We used his suggestions and the Attalos Hotel and found everything as described. This is one of the best websites I've ever read for specific-location travel (other than this Forum, of course).<BR><BR>His info was right-on!

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Robert

I used George's services in Athens in August 2002. His services were OK. But the pricing was TOO EXPENSIVE. I don't think so much money is worth the services he provides. Plus you rarely get to meet him in person.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Carol

Haven't used George the taxi driver... but overall I think Matt's site is an incredible resource for planning trips to Greece. I have gone two summers in a row, mainly based on information on Matt's site. Went to Lesvos last summer and pretty much used everything on his www.lesvos.com site. <BR><BR>We're really lucky to have Matt's generous information. Enjoy your trip!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:28 AM
wondering

what is the website addy?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:29 AM
wondering

nevermind...DUH!! roflol!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 11:59 AM
Wendy

The main site is http://www.greektravel.com/

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:11 AM
mae

How much does George charge for a transfer from the athens airport?

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 04:14 PM
garynfla

Hello, I just returned from Greece Oct 12th and used Matt's site extensively. It was amazing how much it helped me.I also used George the Taxi driver and it was a high light of my trip. George sent Christos to take us on our journey to Delphi. After about 3 blocks from our hotel we felt we were traveling with a friend. I think Matt is awesome for providing so many of us with all of this valuable info here on the internet. He made my trip so much better!! You Go Matt!!!!!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:05 PM
tom

Barrett's website is a good resource, but it should not be used as a sole resource, nor taken taken as absolute gospel. <BR><BR>I think it's fairly obvious that Barrett is plugging for his friends and business associates - just be a bit cautious, as you would with any 'advertising' -- even though it's not identified as such. <BR><BR>Exmpl, I had a pretty bad experience with the cell phone rental guy mentioned in Barret's site -- the refund of my $100 deposit got messed up, and the guy in athens was totally uncooperative. My credit card company finally stepped in to take care of it, but it took months to get satisfaction (always save receipts and avoid paying by cash!)<BR><BR>So even if a business is recommended by Barrett, don't let his informal, folksy writing lead you to drop your guard -- use the (hopefully!) same good business sense as you would on any other business proposition.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 01:32 AM
Paige

We used his site a few years ago when planning our wedding in Greece. He answered my e-mails, his site provided LOTS of helpful info and we hired a car and driver from George (especially helpful since there was a taxi strike!). No problems at all and I'd recommend it all.