Scotland 8 days?

Search

Scotland 8 days?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland 8 days?

I've been reading with interest the multitude of posts re Scotland. My question is the following: I am arriving in Glasgow next Sunday and returning the following Monday. I would like to see a good cross section of the country yet not be too rushed.

I was thinking 2 days in Glasgow (Sunday and Monday) then train to Edinburgh for Tuesday and Wednesday. That leaves only about 4 days to see the rest. It's seems a bit ambitious to see the Borders, and some of the West Coast and Highlands in that time period. Any suggestions for perhaps two of the three? I would like to see some beautiful scenery/history but don't necessarily need to drive to Skye or some far out of the way place if it doesn't fit into a reasonable time frame.

Thanks
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
How do you plan on traveling around? Trains/buses or are you going to rent a car (not for Edinburgh or Glasgow but for the rest of your trip) ?

Also, what sorts of things do you want to see/do?

Finally - no, 4 days is not long enough for the Borders, west coast and Highlands.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I would like to see some of urban Scotland and some of the countryside. I would like to do some hiking/walks, eat well and actually learn something while exploring (museums, architecture, geography, etc.)

I was planning on renting a car in Edinburgh (airport?)and dropping it off in Glasgow on the return leg.

The West Coast appears to have a mythical/romantic appeal (and Scotch)and thus seems interesting. I would like to see some of the Highlands because like many North Americans my family had 'help' emigrating from Scotland thanks to the Clearances. The Borders also seems to have beautiful landscapes and abbeys, etc. Having said the above, I am flexible regarding and itinerary and would like to make the most of my time (never having been there).

Perhaps 4 days for Glasgow/Edinburgh is too much given the smorgasbord available in Scotland.

Any ideas?
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

I would also like to see some of the sea...
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM

I think you're talking West Coast (which is sort of Highlands, too), but where was your family from?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Not far from Glasgow you have Loch Fyne, Mull of Kintyre (of Macca fame) Bute, history galore in the rest of Argyll.....I'm currently researching this in anticipation of my week on Loch Fyne in September. Though I'll probably end up not doing very much, just enjoying the scenery around my cottage
Take some midge repllent with you! I'm told Avon Skin-so-soft dry oil spray is the best, though not intended as such, and that even forestry workers use it. Maybe Sheila can confirm that?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 11:25 PM

Absolutely true
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Looking at the map, I'm thinking a counterclockwise trip north from Edinburgh to GLA would be the best use of time. I think Fife and the West Coast (perhaps Oban) would be desireable objectives. Any suggestions regarding an itinerary over 4 days? Any suggestions on places to stay/eat?

Your input is greatly appreciated!