Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A good, no great, Scotland/Wales itinerary anyone?

Dec 21st, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Have never been to either and would like to spend 10-12 days touring Scotland and Wales. Can anyone suggest a leisurely, see the highlights-type of itinerary? Also any recommendations for B&B's along the way? My grandmother worked in Balmoral Castle many yearss ago so that is definitely a stop we will wish to make. Thanks for any assistance you can provide to help us plan this trip.
Dec 21st, 2004, 10:42 AM

I think your definition of leisurely and mine may be different

But tell me how many Scottish days, and where you will arrive and where you will leave and I'll rustle somethng up for you.
Dec 21st, 2004, 04:48 PM

When will you be going? We went last June. We rented a car and drove everywhere. We had no trouble getting a B&B once we got into a town. We liked Edinburgh, Stirling, Inverness, Glasgow. I could go on and on. We drove up to Durness, which is on the northwest coast of Scotland. The drive up was beautiful.
We didn't see as much of Wales because we have family in Scotland and there was so much to see and do. If you fly into Glasgow you could see some of the area, then do a loop around Scotland, heading east to Edinburgh, then on to Balmoral.
Just start pouring over the guide books and begin to decide what you want to see.
Dec 21st, 2004, 10:40 PM

OK - 10 (or even 12) days really doesn't give you time for a "leisurely" trip that would cover both Scotland and Wales.

If you simply want to see some highlights you could do 6 or 7 days touring around Scotland and a few days mostly in North Wales.

Something like 2 days in Edinburgh, 2 days in Aberdeenshire (for the "Castle Trail" area, the Dee, Braemar, and Balmoral), a couple of days to the west for some highland scenery and the west coast, and one day enroute south in Ayrshire or possible the Lake District.

You would have barely scratched the surface of Scotland but if you want to also see some of Wales that is about all the time you could afford.

Wales is wonderful - but is there some particular reason (or place) you want to tour Wales?

I ask because, you could have a fairly leisurely tour if you limit yourself to Scotland. Basing for 2 or 3 days in 4 or 5 different areas would give you a chance to see lot w/o having to pack up and move every day.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:50 AM

Most people here just seem to talk about north Wales, but I really like Cardiff where there's lots to see and do. There are also castles, the beautiful Gower peninsula and Pembrokeshire national park, the Dylan Thomas connection and interesting industrial heritage sights in south Wales. You can get cheap flights between Edinburgh and Cardiff with www.bmibaby.com.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replies. I'm not firm on going to Wales if by doing so, we rush thru Scotland. My husband is English but has never visited Wales or Scotland so thought he could do both. Sheila - any way you could tell me a good 8 day itinerary and then if we want to add another 4-5 days onto it, where we would add? I want to get the sketch of the trip in place and then I can go to work getting all my info, lodgings etc. etc. We would probably look at going in early September - would that be a good choice for our visit? I like Janis idea of not moving around too much by basing in 4-5 areas and doing day trips.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 11:54 AM

I would opt for just doing Scotland. It would help if you tell us what you like. Castles, history, old stuff? Shopping? Beautiful views of lochs? Mountain climbing? Breweries and distilleries?

My personal faves while traveling is anything historic or scenic. Related to these thems, items not to miss, IMHO:

Culloden battlefield (very eerily beautiful and sad)
Eilan Donan Castle or Uruquart castle
Isle of Skye
Scone Palace
Loch Lomond
Callanish stones

There are others, those are just a few suggestions.

Can't help you if you prefer mountain climbing or shopping
Dec 22nd, 2004, 11:56 AM

Oops! Forgot to add Oban... a delightful place! Not too far from Isle of Skye and Eilan Donan. If you do stay in Oban, there's a great 14th century manor house B&B about 30 miles south of there called La Lunga.